Not booting after using Carbon Copy Cloner

BillyBlue77

7 posts in this topic

Hi!

I installed OSX86 on a very old 40GB HDD just to test whether it works with my hardware setup. Well, it's working fast and stable and all my hardware is recognized and usable (Asus A8N-SLI Dlx, _tubgirl_ 1048 AMD Final).

Now I wanted to get rid of this old, slow and loud HDD but didn't want to start from scratch again. So I cloned the hole Hackintosh HDD on a new partition of my main HDD using Carbon Copy Cloner. I definetly checked the "bootable" option before starting to clone.

The problem is that I'm not able to boot from the cloned partition. If I put in my Hackintosh-Install-DVD and boot from that, I finally can start the cloned partition by just pushing no button when Darwin bootloader starts. So basically it's working but not bootable.

Any hints on how I can fix that?

Thanks in advance!

Billy

Edited by BillyBlue77

This had been diskussed many times.

Boot off of your DVD.

Go to terminal.

type in without quote and comments; send each input with the enter-key

"fdisk -e /dev/rdisk<n> " (where n is the (number of your drive-1)

"p" (prints a list of your configuration to screen, compare it your drivelist)

"flag <x>" (where x is the number of your partition)

"update" (creates the bootcode)

"write" (writes the bootcode)

"quit"

"reboot"

Edited by tuxuser33

Hi!

I already tried using fdisk but without success! Still not booting but only a blinking cursor.

Here's what I did:

1. added an extra 40GB partition to my 300GB HDD using Partition Magic

2. marked partition as active using diskutil

3. Formated partition with FAT32 using Partition Magic (otherwise Mac OS didn't recognize the partition)

4. started OS 10 from the HDD that shall be cloned, opened Disk-Utility and deleted the FAT32 partition using "Mac OS X Extended Journaled"

5. cloned complete image from source to dest using Carbon Copy Cloner

6. Used fdisk to set partition active and bootable

I only get a blinking cursor while booting from the new HDD/partition. :D

Edited by BillyBlue77

You have forgotten to change the ID to AF.

Maybe you can do it now.

Do it with the help of Linux.

Take GPARTED, Knoppix or an other live-cd.

In terminal as root (the cd booted off) call "cfdisk" (or "fdisk /dev/hda" for the first drive)

Toggle the ID to AF, write out to disk and do a reboot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you are not shure, follow the Instruction from an other post I wrote, ignore the part you are not interisted in.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=42749&hl=

Edited by tuxuser33

First of all, thx to anybody!

I tried everything I could but didn't get it to boot. The ID of the partition was already "AF", it was primary, active and bootable. Anyway...

I solved the problem doing the following steps:

1. (Win XP:) Deleted the partition with Partition Magic

2. (Win XP:) Created a new unformated partition with Partition Magic

3. (Win XP:) Used "diskutil", deleted the partition once again, created a new one as master and id=AF

4. (OSX86:) Made a complete installation with _tubgirl_ AMD_1048_Final (used Disk-Util to erase partition with "Mac OS Journaled Extd.")

5. Now I was able to boot for the first time

6. (OSX86:) Used "SuperDuper!" to clone my old HDD to the new bootable partition

I don't know for sure whether the problem was Carbon Copy Cloner, which I used in the first try. But anyway, this way everything works as expected.

I already wanted to use SuperDuper! in the first try, but it said something about not to copy temporary files and system specific files that Apple won't recommend (whatever that would be...), so I chose CCC.

Edited by BillyBlue77