No video in Snow

dsalsa

6 posts in this topic

Need help please. I have read that a lot of people have installed Snow Leopard 10.6 and works great. I have Installed it myself but have never been able to get the video to work. I can hear the sound so I know it's working and in some cases I have even been able to boot in safe mode and see that it's working. I have installed several versions of Leopard 10.5 and never had any issues, especially with the video if I boot with cpus=1 and then make the appropriate change in com.apple.Boot.plist

Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi

Intel Core Duo processor T2050

(1.6 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)

15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD (16ms)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

It came with 100GB HDD 5400rpm but I'm using an external 250GB USB drive

DVD-Super Multi double layer (support DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+-RW)

Came with 512MB DDR2 (support dual-channel) I added another 512 to make it 1GB

802.11a/b/g wireless LAN which I have never been able to get to work in Leopard

There are actually 2 Intel GMA 950 drivers in the SL 10.6.3 I have

Please help it's time I upgraded to SL

I got the Intel GMA950 working on my Toshiba Portege M400 with Graphics Enabler and an EFI string from the iAtkos S3 V2 installation disk. That distribution is 10.6.3. Full Quartz, etc., enabled iLife '11 installation and iMovie to run. The easiest method is to backup your existing installation then reformat your hard drive and install iAtkos S3 V2 (10.6.3) with defaults selected and Graphics enabler, EFI string, and laptop extensions additionally selected (Do not select any other stuff). This gets the laptop's graphics to work with CI/QE (Quartz) so that iLife '11 will install and iMovie works. I Updated successfully via internet with Apple's 10.6.6 combo update. Updated iLife '11 successfully via internet. If it doesn't work, reinstall your backup.

Thanks for your reply. iAtkos S3 V2 (10.6.3) is the only Snow Leopard installation DVD I have and tried to install on my machine successfully except for the video issue. I have always installed it in a formated drive/partition so that is two things i've been doing right. I will try with the default and 3 selects you mention. Will report my results from Snow I hope.

Grim good news I got Snow (iAtkos S3 V2 (10.6.3) working on my computer, unfortunately when I did the upgrade through Snow Leopard's Software Update feature my computer wouldn't boot any more. So now I'm back to square one. I didn't do a back up and my Leopard installation that I had in another partition doesn't work either. Now have said that I do want to thank you in solving my video issue, I guess at least I can get Snow (iAtkos S3 V2 (10.6.3) and go from there, probably updating slower.

Latest update. It seems that the solution of adding idlehalt=0 which works very well in Leopard doesn't work at all in Snow, in fact it will give you a kernel panic. What also gives you a kernel panic in Snow, is the update to iTunes and/or Java. I'm not sure if both or just one of them. If it is just one my guess is iTunes.

• 1 year later...

I am new to OSX & especially the installation on non Apple hardware so there maybe a lot of assumed knowledge that I don't have.I'm also aware that this is over a year old but would like to get QE/CI running on my M400(T2400 model).

Followed the above, S3_V2 default + Graphics Enabler + EFI Strings. This resulted in a swirling rainbow wheel(cursor) + music, after the music just the spinning cursor. At this point assumed there was a driver issue and placed the "-x" in the boot to get successfully into the safe mode, reboot and same as the first boot exempt no music.

Adjusted the installation to include the GM950 (27A2) with the same setup as above. This time coloured stripes across the screen and the music but this time trying a safe boot the PC locks.

Third attempt was same as second but this time I boot directly to safe mode and then attempted a clean boot (which results the same as the first try) but at least this time I can reboot into safe mode.

So the installation disk that I have has the following as default;

iAtkos S3 Main System, AsereBLNv1.1.9, Extra Directory, Fakesmc, RTC, EVoReboot, VoodooRHD, Apple RHD 10.6.2.

To this I add;

GraphicsEnabler, EFI String, Voodoo PS/2, GMA 950 27A2, IntelGigabit.

I gather that I have either missed something or put something in that I shouldn't of had.

On other attemps at getting S3 running I have installed a GMA950 kext + an appleIntelFrameBuffer kext which gets resolution OK but no QE/CI.

Any help much appreciated