Yet another G5 frontpanel IO thread.

onosan

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I have spent days (evenings) reading about this seemingly endless subject, but still manages to have a question :(

I could of course speedPM AlohaCab for one of his cables, but since I do have the (reused) wires, crimps, Molex Milli-Grid 18-leg connector etc. I should like to give it a try before giving in.

When looking on the G5 Front Panel Wiring Diagram

post-120850-1294148310_thumb.jpg

is pin 5 and 6 to be connected to FW & USB Shield Ground.

But these pins are nowhere to be seen on my 'EVGA X58 3SLI' mobo.

post-120850-1294148792_thumb.jpg

post-120850-1294148949_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions where to connect them?

BTW: On the original cable some of the wires were bundled and shielded - Can I just use plain 26 AWG signal cable stripped from old hw?

While you all were away :( I found another supplemental question:

Connector 1 is marked as 25V FW or +12V x 2. Is this to be made by pulling two times 12V/ splice from FW pin 7 and 8?

On the original cable I see nothing of the kind :D

Hi Hakan

I know/can read the drawing, but are puzzled by the two 'shielded' cables on connector 5 and 6.

When taking the original cable apart there are a handful of normal wires + two 'thicker' cables made up of 3 shielded wires each as far as I remember.

I have sorted out the audio. Regarding the USB shielded Ground (on 6) I can see on the photos in 'dontthroworanges' original cable thread that he uses 5 wires instead of the normal 4 so thats fine too.

But the firewire part: the dual 12V and the shielded ground wire are kind of a mystery to me. Not that I actually needs it here and now - I can always use one of the ones from the io backplate. And I have seen the trick with using pin/connector 2 to onboard powerbutton ground to get the boat sailing

post-120850-1294256635_thumb.png

But I also know that if it isnt all connected now - it probably never will be. Just like the little bit of baseboard thats missing in the bedroom :)

• 3 months later...

I think, on your header, pin 10 on firewire is actually the shield ground, or "over current" and pin 3 and 4 are the true grounds. And the same on usb header, the 5th pin next to ground is also shield ground or over current ground. Try this, see if you get anything?

USB shield goes to pin 10 on the USB header. This doesnt need to be connected, so you can use 4 or 5 pin connectors

Firewire shield goes to pin 10 on the firewire header. 25w (12w x 2) goes to pin 7 and 8 on the firewire header