What kexts are 32-bit only?

Dradis

3 posts in this topic

I was recently having trouble with constant (daily if not more) lock ups and KPs. I did a little research and found that JMicronATA is a 32-bit only kext that can cause problems if you have more that 3GB of RAM. Turns out that I had this kext and no ATA devices, so I deleted it. I'm now having far fewer lock ups, but it still hasn't stopped completely.

Today I read that AirPortAtheros.kext is also 32-bit only.

So, I'm hoping that we can come up with a good list of 32-bit drivers. That way if people have them, and don't need them, they can be deleted. This might help people troubleshoot some stuff. Some may even help fix these driver for 64-bit.

Know any?

[EDIT] about 10 seconds after I posted this, I got a kernel panic. Talk about crappy luck. :)

Nice, thanks!

Here's another way:

http://cvad-mac.narod2.ru/kext_info_utility/

Trouble starts when you find kexts with the same name that are either 32-bit only or 64-bit only.

It happens mostly with community patched/written kexts.

32-bit AppleVIAATA.kext (crashes with 4GB RAM and above) was patched by somebody and became SuperVIAATA.kext (works perfectly in 64-bit Snow Leopard). The old skge.kext is 32-bit only, there's a later version patched for 64-bit. I'm not sure if it still works in 32-bit though, I've disabled the device that uses it.