Snow Leopard Retail running on Sony Vaio VGN220E

da_jokker

22 posts in this topic

I don't have a lot of time to get into detail right now, but I just wanted to pass it along that thanks to this awesome site, I was able to correct the last issue I had in getting everything working with Snow Leopard.

Basically put, I used myHack + Retail DVD to install SL on the laptop. I then replace or added only 9 kext and I'm up and running (32-bit) with working Display w/ hardware accell, Wireless, LAN, and Sound.

FYI, my vaio uses the Intel GMA950(945) Mobile Display chipset (27a2), Yukon Lan, Atheros Wireless, and Intel HD (Realtek) Audio.

The only thing to note is you have to use a special patched IOATAFamily.kext to prevent Kernal panics on load, and add the AppleSMBIOSEfi.kext to prevent About this Mac crashes.

I'll attempt to zip all these kexts up and attach for anyone who needs them. THESE ALL GO IN THE \SYSTEM\LIBRARY\EXTENSIONS FOLDER and not in the \Extra folder

the only thing I had to do to the \Extra folder created by the myHack was add key: Graphics Mode with string: 1280x800x32 to the com.apple.Boot.plist it created.

have to split up the file attachments

Files part 2

KextPatchesForSnowOnSonyVaio1.zip

KextPatchesForSnowOnSonyVaio_2.zip

My laptop is very similar, so I'm hoping you will be able to help. When I tried to install Snow Leopard I got kernel panics on the IOATA as you described, but how can you put it in '/System/Library/Extensions' if you haven't installed it yet? I can't put it in '/Extra' because it doesn't override the system kexts.

And how will you get into Snow Leopard after a major update? Apple replace the IOATA kexts so you will get kernel panic when you boot up, how do you prevent that? You need to be in the OS to replace the kexts.

Thanks.

My laptop is very similar, so I'm hoping you will be able to help. When I tried to install Snow Leopard I got kernel panics on the IOATA as you described, but how can you put it in '/System/Library/Extensions' if you haven't installed it yet? I can't put it in '/Extra' because it doesn't override the system kexts.

And how will you get into Snow Leopard after a major update? Apple replace the IOATA kexts so you will get kernel panic when you boot up, how do you prevent that? You need to be in the OS to replace the kexts.

Thanks.

Normally I think most people (I know I do) have a working copy of some version of OSX running on an external usb drive. This allows you to boot to it and then use the more friendly GUI to manipulate files on the internal hard drive.

But basically it works like this....

Follow the instructions to make the merged myHack + SL Retail dvd. However before you reboot and start the install, create a folder on the disk image and put all the patched kext into it along with the installation package for my hack.

Then do the Snow install as instructed. At the end of SL install, when you reboot, you are suppose to boot to the install dvd, but then point to the new SNow Partition to load the OSX.

Instead, after you have installed SL, reboot back into the setup disk. After it asked you for the language, the menu will come up and you can open a terminal session. You can then use that to copy those patched Kext over to the internal drive and run a chown and chmod on the \Extensions folder.

Then just power off the computer (so that you don't re=go through the actual installation again) and pick back up with myHack's instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man,

I have the same exact laptop... which version of MyHack are you using? I can't get my USB to boot... stuck at blinking dash.

Which options in the MyHack installer did you choose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man,

I have the same exact laptop... which version of MyHack are you using? I can't get my USB to boot... stuck at blinking dash.

Which options in the MyHack installer did you choose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used myHack 1.0 RC5.2 r93. Other than I know I used the Vanilla kernel, I don't recall which additional options I checked, however when it was all said and done, the /Extra/Extensions folder contains:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

LegacyAppleRTC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

So I don't think it matters as long as you have those when you are done (and have run the pfix to rebuild the caches)

... Also, during my first attempt I had the same boot problem. Make sure you did the following:

1) Using a working copy of OSx, remove the existing partition on the USB drive

2) Then create a new Partition as Mac OS Extended. MAKE SURE TO GO INTO CUSTOM and make the partition type MBR (not GUID)

3) When you then copy the Retail CD img to the drive, do NOT check the "erase" option.

4) Once the disk image has been xfered, then run the myHack on the new CD.

5) Make sure you copy the myHack INstaller as well as those files above to some folder on your new USB image so you can get to them after you have done your Snow Leopard install but before you boot to it for the first time.

... that was pretty much it.

I used myHack 1.0 RC5.2 r93. Other than I know I used the Vanilla kernel, I don't recall which additional options I checked, however when it was all said and done, the /Extra/Extensions folder contains:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

LegacyAppleRTC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

So I don't think it matters as long as you have those when you are done (and have run the pfix to rebuild the caches)

... Also, during my first attempt I had the same boot problem. Make sure you did the following:

1) Using a working copy of OSx, remove the existing partition on the USB drive

2) Then create a new Partition as Mac OS Extended. MAKE SURE TO GO INTO CUSTOM and make the partition type MBR (not GUID)

3) When you then copy the Retail CD img to the drive, do NOT check the "erase" option.

4) Once the disk image has been xfered, then run the myHack on the new CD.

5) Make sure you copy the myHack INstaller as well as those files above to some folder on your new USB image so you can get to them after you have done your Snow Leopard install but before you boot to it for the first time.

... that was pretty much it.

This is not working for me... I'm not entirely sure why.

Here's what I've been doing:

1) Delete partition

2) Create a MBR partition (MacOSX Journaled)

3) Restore my SL Retail DVD to the new partition (not erasing destination)

4) Run MyHack on USB drive

5) I verified that in /Volumes/[uSB drive]/Extras/Extensions/ I have the same files as you did

6) Boot from USB on my Vaio

7) Blinking Dash

At this point, I just want my VAIO to boot from the USB partition... is it maybe I need to update the BIOS? I can't think of any thing else that I may be doing wrong.

What do you think?

This is not working for me... I'm not entirely sure why.

Here's what I've been doing:

1) Delete partition

2) Create a MBR partition (MacOSX Journaled)

3) Restore my SL Retail DVD to the new partition (not erasing destination)

4) Run MyHack on USB drive

5) I verified that in /Volumes/[uSB drive]/Extras/Extensions/ I have the same files as you did

6) Boot from USB on my Vaio

7) Blinking Dash

At this point, I just want my VAIO to boot from the USB partition... is it maybe I need to update the BIOS? I can't think of any thing else that I may be doing wrong.

What do you think?

This won't correct your boot problem, but just as an FYI, I did not replace the kext on the DVD Installation Image (/Volumes/USB Drive/Extras/Extensions like you did in your step #5. Instead, you replace them on the local hard drive after running the Snow Installation but before you attempt to boot to it for the first time.

As for your boot problem, that is odd... I've never had a problem booting, just getting OSx to run without crashing. Just to double check, you have 2 places in the Bios you have to change or verify in order to boot to an external usb drive. There is one spot that you have to enable to allow booting to an external drive, then there is another spot where you set the boot order. Make sure you see "USB HARD DRIVE" and it is listed..

Oh that just reminds me... I think I may have had to remove the internal drive from the Boot List.... try that. So ...

1) Make sure to Enable the ability to boot to an external drive (this is not the boot order menu)

2) Make sure that the USB Hard Drive shows up in the boot order list and is the first (or 2nd under CD) for the boot order

3) Move the Internal hard drive down to the exception list for the boot order (I think you press X with it hightlighted)

... of course after you do get SL installed, and AFTER you have booted back to the USB drive 2x (the first to install myHack to the Hard Drive, and the second to replace the kext files on the hard drive), you need to put everything back.

This would not have anything to do with you not being able to boot to the usb drive, but just an FYI, my Sony hard drive is partioned into 2 drives, my primary being windows 7 (which I boot to) and the second with Snow.

This won't correct your boot problem, but just as an FYI, I did not replace the kext on the DVD Installation Image (/Volumes/USB Drive/Extras/Extensions like you did in your step #5. Instead, you replace them on the local hard drive after running the Snow Installation but before you attempt to boot to it for the first time.

As for your boot problem, that is odd... I've never had a problem booting, just getting OSx to run without crashing. Just to double check, you have 2 places in the Bios you have to change or verify in order to boot to an external usb drive. There is one spot that you have to enable to allow booting to an external drive, then there is another spot where you set the boot order. Make sure you see "USB HARD DRIVE" and it is listed..

Oh that just reminds me... I think I may have had to remove the internal drive from the Boot List.... try that. So ...

1) Make sure to Enable the ability to boot to an external drive (this is not the boot order menu)

2) Make sure that the USB Hard Drive shows up in the boot order list and is the first (or 2nd under CD) for the boot order

3) Move the Internal hard drive down to the exception list for the boot order (I think you press X with it hightlighted)

... of course after you do get SL installed, and AFTER you have booted back to the USB drive 2x (the first to install myHack to the Hard Drive, and the second to replace the kext files on the hard drive), you need to put everything back.

This would not have anything to do with you not being able to boot to the usb drive, but just an FYI, my Sony hard drive is partioned into 2 drives, my primary being windows 7 (which I boot to) and the second with Snow.

Yah it's really weird... I did moved my harddrive out of the boot sequence long ago when I started trying, and I have "boot from external drive" enabled as well. I really really don't know what could be the matter. Lemme start a thread and see if people know what is wrong.

Yah it's really weird... I did moved my harddrive out of the boot sequence long ago when I started trying, and I have "boot from external drive" enabled as well. I really really don't know what could be the matter. Lemme start a thread and see if people know what is wrong.

good luck. It would be a pain but maybe formatting it using windows and making it bootable to a command prompt would at least prove out that your setup even works. If you can not boot to a dos prompt then it's not your osx setup

Thanks!!! Works in Snow Leopard 10.6.2!!! Yours .kext are a clone of my Notebook OKI, (Motherboard EAA-89 HannStar J MV-4) (clone models: OKI NB0306, Philips X54, Advend 7093, Quanda TW3) after installing (kexthelper b7 ) clean kext cache and repair permission, works OpenGL in intel GMA950 1280x800 32. The audio driver and it was installed and I have not tested but looks the same. Sorry for me English I speak Spanish...

Igloo,

Hopefully you got your problem solved but I just wanted to post this in case. This weekend I had some time so I duplicated my Install Image from my externs usb HARD DRIVE, to a usb THUMB drive. The two are identical (MBR partitioned, etc), yet I can not boot from the thumb drive.

When I try, I get that blinking cursor like you did. If I unplug the Thumb drive and switch to the actual external hard drive, it boots just fine. I compared the "Information" between the two at both the device and the Partition level and OSX reports that they are the same.

So it makes me think that the BIOS knows the difference and won't allow booting to a thumbdrive, only an actual hard drive. Or maybe it's the speed. I mean it took almost 10 hours to copy my hard drive image to the thumb drive because the r\w speed is much slower.

Maybe when it tries to boot, the access time is too long and it gives up? I dunno but if you are using a thumb drive, maybe try getting your hands on an actual drive.

Igloo,

Hopefully you got your problem solved but I just wanted to post this in case. This weekend I had some time so I duplicated my Install Image from my externs usb HARD DRIVE, to a usb THUMB drive. The two are identical (MBR partitioned, etc), yet I can not boot from the thumb drive.

When I try, I get that blinking cursor like you did. If I unplug the Thumb drive and switch to the actual external hard drive, it boots just fine. I compared the "Information" between the two at both the device and the Partition level and OSX reports that they are the same.

So it makes me think that the BIOS knows the difference and won't allow booting to a thumbdrive, only an actual hard drive. Or maybe it's the speed. I mean it took almost 10 hours to copy my hard drive image to the thumb drive because the r\w speed is much slower.

Maybe when it tries to boot, the access time is too long and it gives up? I dunno but if you are using a thumb drive, maybe try getting your hands on an actual drive.

Great Insight! I will try that RIGHT NOW. I've been reluctant to try because I have a 1TB drive with LOTS of backup files etc... but hearing the results of your tests is actually quite encouraging! Let you know how that goes

Great Insight! I will try that RIGHT NOW. I've been reluctant to try because I have a 1TB drive with LOTS of backup files etc... but hearing the results of your tests is actually quite encouraging! Let you know how that goes

Ironically I did the exact same thing today. The USB drive I had working was a smaller one and was an 'iffy' drive. However I have a 1.5 tb drive that I use to store my ghost backup images on. So I decided to split that up into 2 partions, 1 for my backups, and the other for a bootable OSX system.

I did find out a couple more things that may help:

1) You must use OSX to Partition the drive as HFS with the MBR option. Meaning I had originally used Windows to partition the drive but even though the disk was so called bootable, I kept getting "invalid OS" boot errors until I removed all partitions and re-created it using the Disk Utility from OSX.

2) It does not appear as though you can image a myHack to a new disk and have it work. Even though the myHack installer had been run on the first drive (which was the source of the image).. the restored copy did not boot. I had to re-run the myHack and point to the new partition. After that.. it was smooth sailing.

The exact steps I went through

1) Used OSX Disk Utility to remove all partitions from my USB drive

2) Used OSX Disk Utility to create 2 partitions. The 1st partition was a HFS+ of 50 gigs. The 2nd was the rest of my drive as FAT32 (just for now). Make sure it creates the Drive with MBR and not GUID.

3) Restored my Snow Install image onto the 1st partition. This was the image I made from my previous working copy from another USB drive.(For you this would probably be restoring the Snow Install DVD to it)

4) Re-ran the myHack installer against the new HFS image.

5) Verified the com.apple.Boot.plist (especially making sure the video is set to 1280x800x32) and that the correct Kexts are in the Extra folder

6) Rebooted the laptop and made sure the the Enable External Boot was Enabled and moved the Internal Disk to the "Do Not boot" list.

7) Saved Bios and the Laptop booted to the new USB partition perfectly.

8) Rebooted Laptop and went back into the bios to allow booting to the internal hard drive again.

9) this time I booted into windows. Once in, I re-formatted the Fat32 partition to NTFS (could have left it fat32 but because my Ghost Images get so big, I don't like them splitting into smaller files.

... that was it.

Ironically I did the exact same thing today. The USB drive I had working was a smaller one and was an 'iffy' drive. However I have a 1.5 tb drive that I use to store my ghost backup images on. So I decided to split that up into 2 partions, 1 for my backups, and the other for a bootable OSX system.

I did find out a couple more things that may help:

1) You must use OSX to Partition the drive as HFS with the MBR option. Meaning I had originally used Windows to partition the drive but even though the disk was so called bootable, I kept getting "invalid OS" boot errors until I removed all partitions and re-created it using the Disk Utility from OSX.

2) It does not appear as though you can image a myHack to a new disk and have it work. Even though the myHack installer had been run on the first drive (which was the source of the image).. the restored copy did not boot. I had to re-run the myHack and point to the new partition. After that.. it was smooth sailing.

The exact steps I went through

1) Used OSX Disk Utility to remove all partitions from my USB drive

2) Used OSX Disk Utility to create 2 partitions. The 1st partition was a HFS+ of 50 gigs. The 2nd was the rest of my drive as FAT32 (just for now). Make sure it creates the Drive with MBR and not GUID.

3) Restored my Snow Install image onto the 1st partition. This was the image I made from my previous working copy from another USB drive.(For you this would probably be restoring the Snow Install DVD to it)

4) Re-ran the myHack installer against the new HFS image.

5) Verified the com.apple.Boot.plist (especially making sure the video is set to 1280x800x32) and that the correct Kexts are in the Extra folder

6) Rebooted the laptop and made sure the the Enable External Boot was Enabled and moved the Internal Disk to the "Do Not boot" list.

7) Saved Bios and the Laptop booted to the new USB partition perfectly.

8) Rebooted Laptop and went back into the bios to allow booting to the internal hard drive again.

9) this time I booted into windows. Once in, I re-formatted the Fat32 partition to NTFS (could have left it fat32 but because my Ghost Images get so big, I don't like them splitting into smaller files.

... that was it.

That's great man! thanks for the detailed step by step. I think I will have to wait abit though because I don't want to repartition my 1TB harddrive and losing my data. In the meantime I will install 10.5... and if it all works out, I will retire one of my older computers and use the harddrive for this purpose. I'm pretty sure we've nailed down the problem though! Thanks alot for your help. I will post some details once I get a chance to do it.

• 4 months later...

Thanks,

It's working on my Intel GMA 950 0x2772, iAtkos S3v2, but without QE/CI.

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2772

Revision ID: 0x0002

Displays:

Display Connector:

W1952:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

• 1 month later...

Just curious, Vaio VGN220E users, what doesn't work with Snow Leopard installed?

I had 10.5.2 (Kalyway) installed, but getting video to work properly has been an issue for me. I've tried all of the hacks on this forum and even the OSx86 site, but nothing seems to work for me.

Thanks,

TCG

• 1 month later...

This kexts for Intel GMA 950 (27a2) are the only that worked for Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail in my Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2M/B after try many methods (various kexts and mpkgs, Graphics Enabler, efi strings...). I installed kexts from zip nº1 using Kext Utility.

Thanks !!!!

• 4 weeks later...
This kexts for Intel GMA 950 (27a2) are the only that worked for Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail in my Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2M/B after try many methods (various kexts and mpkgs, Graphics Enabler, efi strings...). I installed kexts from zip nº1 using Kext Utility.

Thanks !!!!

In Snow Leopard 10.6.4 works great and supports QE/CI (not in 10.6.3)

Thanks !!!!

These kexts only gave me full res, but no QE/CI. Well at least graphics animations are horribly slow and the menubar isnt transparent.

I also tried many kexts with no luck. Im gonna try 10.6.4'

Sweet got full video after update to 10.6.4, didnt need to do anything either :) Took a while but got my acer running :(