Atheros AR5008/AR5418 on SL 10.6.2

HardcoreWR

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I don't like to start a topic about something you can find in the searchfunction of this forum.

But the problem is..I tried like ALL of the given solutions, and none of them work for me.

I tried the IO80211Family.kext, AirportAtheros21.kext, AtherosFix.kext, try to boot with arch=i386, boot with -v or -x or -f.

And yes, I changed the plist files with my correct device ID.

Here is my lspci -nn output for the wifi card;

07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)

dmesg gives the following message;

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-420.8.7/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1189] load failed

My device id in the plist-files is "pci168c,24".

Can someone please advise me what to do or what to check.

I'm lost by now :rolleyes:

Leon

Hi there I've got the same problem as you.

I've bought an AR5418 Airport Card thinking that could permits me to have the wifi without any dongle usb.

Unfortunately, this card is not working out of the box for me.

The lspci commande return me the good card with lot of informations but I can't get this card detected as an Airport card.

You'll find attached my lspci result.

But the dmesg command do not show me the same thing as you, can you explain to me how do you perform the command ?

Did you succeeded to find out what was the problem ?

Thank you.

Claymm.

lspci.txt

• 1 month later...

Have you guys found a solution by any chance? My card is built-into my Lenovo T61. One guide for a T61 install said the card should work out of the box on a 10.6 install. My problem is that OsX sees the card, but won't find any networks. I've tried manually entering the network ID but no luck. Editing the device ID's does nothing; in fact, I can remove ALL the device ID's from the AirportAtheros kext and it still does the same thing; it's not until I actually delete the AirportAtheros plugin that it stops working altogether.

• 4 months later...
Hi guys,

I don't like to start a topic about something you can find in the searchfunction of this forum.

But the problem is..I tried like ALL of the given solutions, and none of them work for me.

I tried the IO80211Family.kext, AirportAtheros21.kext, AtherosFix.kext, try to boot with arch=i386, boot with -v or -x or -f.

And yes, I changed the plist files with my correct device ID.

Here is my lspci -nn output for the wifi card;

07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)

dmesg gives the following message;

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-420.8.7/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1189] load failed

I'm lost by now :D

Leon

i have the exact same card as you and im experiencing the same problems.... ive searched everywhere and cannot find anyone with a solution to this specific problem. my card seems to be working fine but only doesnt detect any networks.also i find it odd that the locale is unspecified and the list of channels is beyond what is allowed in the states.

did you or any one find a solution to this?

regards

Cosha

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm lost by now :)

just a hint, but is it possible that a (too) new firmware is the problem?

I have two ThinkPads, a T60p since one year and a X60s since some weeks, for both I got an original IBM Atheros abgn, one a year ago, the other right now and with WinXP and Linux they work in both systems.

My T60p I installed a year ago with Mac OS X 10.6 SL, while I never got graphics working, the Atheros worked out of the box in 32-bit mode, now I upgraded it on 10.6.4 with little problems but WiFi still worked.

Some days ago I installed Mac OS X 10.6 SL on my X60s, I got working mostly everything including graphics and sound, but I was not able to get working the Atheros WiFi-card.

I compared both cards, they mostly look the same, the lspci-output is exactly the same so I could not find any difference.

Finally I swapped the cards, I put the new one in my T60p and the old one in my X60s.

And now the WiFi in my T60p is not working anymore (does not find the card, while lspci still shows it) and the X60s now just works with the card!

So, what is the difference between both cards?

Greetings,

mac4tp