9800 GT With 1GB of RAM vs. 512MB Superclocked

9 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if an EVGA 9800 GT with 1GB of RAM will work just as a 512MB graphics card would? Also, I'm pretty sure this won't matter but will the superclocked edition of the 512MB work just as the non superclocked would? Thanks.

It will work the same as the 512mb, just with 1024mb. I would go with the 9800GT 1024mb, it's running a default bios, lower temps. I run this same card, you will have to load the kext that disables the upstreamclient meant for DRM and HDCP, if you don't, you'll run into mouse stutter. Other than that its a great card. Let me know if you need help.

It will work the same as the 512mb, just with 1024mb. I would go with the 9800GT 1024mb, it's running a default bios, lower temps. I run this same card, you will have to load the kext that disables the upstreamclient meant for DRM and HDCP, if you don't, you'll run into mouse stutter. Other than that its a great card. Let me know if you need help.

Well the temps don't really matter to me since I've got a great cooling setup. :P Can you point me to the kext you specified? Also, you have the EVGA 9800 GT 1GB card? Do you have the full power of the card(OpenCL, QE, CI? Played any games with it in OS X?)? Also, do you know if the 512MB version of the card has the mouse stutter problem(I wouldn't think it would, but you never know)? Also, I'm assuming that the card works with GraphicsEnabler=Yes? And lastly, what version of OS X are you running? Thanks for your help!

EDIT: You mean doing this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1074273 ?

Well the temps don't really matter to me since I've got a great cooling setup. :) Can you point me to the kext you specified? Also, you have the EVGA 9800 GT 1GB card? Do you have the full power of the card(OpenCL, QE, CI? Played any games with it in OS X?)? Also, do you know if the 512MB version of the card has the mouse stutter problem(I wouldn't think it would, but you never know)? Also, I'm assuming that the card works with GraphicsEnabler=Yes? And lastly, what version of OS X are you running? Thanks for your help!

EDIT: You mean doing this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1074273 ?

I don't use a kext for the Graphics, just use the GraphicsEnabler=Yes. You will have full power, all the bells and whistles. All the 8800GT and 9800GT they are based upon G92 Chipset. I am running 10.6.2. I had the same card running under 10.5.8 as well. You'll have to use the Disabler.kext. Works fine after that.

Disabler.kext.zip

I don't use a kext for the Graphics, just use the GraphicsEnabler=Yes. You will have full power, all the bells and whistles. All the 8800GT and 9800GT they are based upon G92 Chipset. I am running 10.6.2. I had the same card running under 10.5.8 as well. You'll have to use the Disabler.kext. Works fine after that.

Ah I see. I was getting it confused with /Extra/Extensions. Also, one last question. Can you verify that the card works with OpenCL? This would just be icing on the cake for me.

I just ordered the card and it should be here in about 3 days. I'll report back my findings. Thanks for your help.

A "superclocked" card is merely one with a very high factory-set & tested overclock.

Unless the specific "superclocked" card model has beefier cooling than the non-superclocked card physically both cards should be identical. At least on the PC side, I know one could simply overclock a stock card themselves for the same effect. I'm less familiar with GPU overclocking on OSX.

One downside is sometimes "superclocked" cards using stock/reference coolers have issues from either being overclocked too much, or not stress tested enough. Overheating, crashing & graphics artifacts under extreme load are what you should watch for. Personally I'd break out a copy of OCCT & an app that'll show you GPU temps & fan % (rivatuner will, GPU-Z might) and do some stress testing on windows to make sure its good.

As for the 1GB version, it should also work fine. At most, you'll require using an EFI string instead of graphicsenabler=yes to deal with the extra RAM.

Keep in mind that as a G92 based card, 10.6.2 may introduce an odd blackscreen-after-boot issue that requires rollback to the 10.6.1 version of two nvidia kexts. YMMV, apparenlty not an issue with everyone/all cards.

A "superclocked" card is merely one with a very high factory-set & tested overclock.

Unless the specific "superclocked" card model has beefier cooling than the non-superclocked card physically both cards should be identical. At least on the PC side, I know one could simply overclock a stock card themselves for the same effect. I'm less familiar with GPU overclocking on OSX.

One downside is sometimes "superclocked" cards using stock/reference coolers have issues from either being overclocked too much, or not stress tested enough. Overheating, crashing & graphics artifacts under extreme load are what you should watch for. Personally I'd break out a copy of OCCT & an app that'll show you GPU temps & fan % (rivatuner will, GPU-Z might) and do some stress testing on windows to make sure its good.

As for the 1GB version, it should also work fine. At most, you'll require using an EFI string instead of graphicsenabler=yes to deal with the extra RAM.

Keep in mind that as a G92 based card, 10.6.2 may introduce an odd blackscreen-after-boot issue that requires rollback to the 10.6.1 version of two nvidia kexts. YMMV, apparenlty not an issue with everyone/all cards.

Yea I know about just the card BIOS being different, and the clock just being higher, but you never know, and in my opinion it's better to be safe then sorry.

Ah I see. I was getting it confused with /Extra/Extensions. Also, one last question. Can you verify that the card works with OpenCL? This would just be icing on the cake for me.

I just ordered the card and it should be here in about 3 days. I'll report back my findings. Thanks for your help.

It's perfect. It runs everything I can throw at it and more. This card has no flaws. Just enable Graphicsenabler=Yes, and it will run perfect. I use my machine for a business and is my main computer, no kernel panics, it just works.

Check this out. This is the from openCL I ran earlier: TwistedSystemss-Mac-Pro:~ twistedsystems$ /Users/twistedsystems/Downloads/oclinfo-0.2/oclinfo ; exit;

1 OpenCL platform found!

[Platform 0]

Name: Apple

Vendor: Apple

Version: OpenCL 1.0 (Oct 16 2009 04:12:08)

Profile: FULL_PROFILE

[OpenCL-only Context]

2 OpenCL devices found!

[Device 0]

Name: GeForce 9800 GT

Vendor: NVIDIA

Type: GPU

Device Version: OpenCL 1.0

Driver Version: CLH 1.0

Compute Units: 14

Work Group Size: 512

Clock: 1500 MHz

Global Memory: 1024 MB

Local Memory: 16 KB

Cache Size: 0 KB

Cache Line Size: 0 Bytes

Available: Yes

Double-Precision: No

Extensions:

cl_khr_byte_addressable_store

cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics

cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics

cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor

cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions

[Device 1]

Name: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Vendor: Intel

Type: CPU

Driver Version: 1.0

Compute Units: 8

Work Group Size: 1

Clock: 2696 MHz

Global Memory (Total): 6144 MB

Global Memory (Host): 4608 MB

Global Memory (PCIe): 1536 MB

Cache Size: 8192 KB

Cache Line Size: 64 Bytes

Double-Precision: Yes

Extensions:

cl_khr_fp64

cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics

cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics

cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[shared OpenCL+OpenGL Context]

2 OpenCL devices found!

[Device 0]

Name: GeForce 9800 GT

Vendor: NVIDIA

Type: GPU

Driver Version: CLH 1.0

Compute Units: 14

Work Group Size: 512

Clock: 1500 MHz

Global Memory: 1024 MB

Cache Size: 0 KB

Cache Line Size: 0 Bytes

Double-Precision: No

Extensions:

cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[Device 1]

Name: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Vendor: Intel

Type: CPU

Driver Version: 1.0

Compute Units: 8

Work Group Size: 1

Clock: 2696 MHz

Global Memory (Total): 6144 MB

Global Memory (Host): 4608 MB

Global Memory (PCIe): 1536 MB

Cache Size: 8192 KB

Cache Line Size: 64 Bytes

Double-Precision: Yes

Extensions:

cl_khr_fp64

cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics

cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics

cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

logout

[Process completed]

There you have it. Your good to go and icing too. Ha.

It's perfect. It runs everything I can throw at it and more. This card has no flaws. Just enable Graphicsenabler=Yes, and it will run perfect. I use my machine for a business and is my main computer, no kernel panics, it just works.

There you have it. Your good to go and icing too. Ha.

Haha, wonderful. I guess tomorrow I'll be installing OS X!