Chameleon RC3 EFI Boot Installation Problems

8 posts in this topic

I have installed SL on my computer and it is working great with the P35-DS3L boot CD that someone on here made.

Method I uses was to boot into the CD and then into the Install DVD and all is well since then.

However, I am having a hell of a time installing Chameleon via Terminal in my EFI partition.

Is there any reason why I couldn't merely copy my Boot CD's files (based on Boot 132 but for by board and with the Kexts I placed in there) to the EFI Partition and set the partition as active and see if it boots up fine?

I have installed SL on my computer and it is working great with the P35-DS3L boot CD that someone on here made.

Method I uses was to boot into the CD and then into the Install DVD and all is well since then.

However, I am having a hell of a time installing Chameleon via Terminal in my EFI partition.

Is there any reason why I couldn't merely copy my Boot CD's files (based on Boot 132 but for by board and with the Kexts I placed in there) to the EFI Partition and set the partition as active and see if it boots up fine?

Hey marshall, don't know if you got this figured out yet or not? In any case I can try and help ya out as I had a bit of difficulty doing this myself...

First, check and make sure the drive OS X is installed on is the first disk, open the the Disk Management app in the utilities folder, select the drive your OS X installation is located on the press the info button and you will see the drive location, it should be rdisk0, you can then select the partition and press info again and it should be rdisk02. If it's not go into your BIOS and change the boot order...

Next thing I would do is download Chameleon 2 RC2(not RC3) (there is an installer package on the site) simply download and run the installer package.

This will create a boot file and also create an extra folder in the root of your selected drive. You should now be able to restart.

You can now update to Chameleon RC3 by opening a new terminal and typing 'cd ' minus the ' and then drag and drop the 'i386' folder onto the terminal window and it will expand the path, now press 'enter'.

Once cd'ed into the i386 folder of the Chameleon EFI type these commands:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 - followed by enter

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 - followed by enter

sudo cp boot / - followed by enter

Next thing I would do is to go to netkas site (netkas.org) and download the the newest fakesmc.kext (2.5 as of me typing this) and place into /(root of boot disk)/Extras/Extension (if extension doesn't exist simply create it.)

Last thing I would do quickly before rebooting is to repair disk permission; just open the Disk Management program again and select the OS X drive and press the Repair Disk Permissions button, reboot and cross fingers ;)

Should work, feel free to PM if ya want, and sorry for the 'newbish' reply, I'm sure you know most of this, or have tried but I figured I would try and be as thorough as possible -_-

...good luck!

Oh Mr Sparky! Dude! Thanks for that so much. I managed to get this working no more than an hour ago. I followed a guide that someone made for a Dell Mini or HP Mini or something. I just substituted my Extras folder from my boot CD and did the rest of the install.

I have even tried to update to 10.6.2 and promptly killed it! Haha!

But this is a fresh install I am typing from and I am flat out stoked not to have to use the boot cd anymore.

Next step is patching my DSDT and then trying to get XP installed.

Hi guys, I need some help here. I managed to install retail Snow with no problems. The problem i'm having now is i can't get it to boot without the boot cd. What do i need to do to get this thing going? I tried to follow the steps on http://macyourpc.com/2009/09/13/mac-os-x-1...oot-132-method/ and it didn't work, i tried to install RC2 and it didn't work either, I tried to Uinstaller and you can guess what happened. After i install any of these bootloaders, i get to the screen to select the partition to boot from, and it goes to the apple screen and that's as far as it goes. It recognizes my trackpad and it works perfectly. It recognizes my video card as an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 (Which is wrong).

My system configs: Dell XPS 1640

- 2.4 GHZ

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670

- 4 GB Ram 1066MHZ

- 500 GB Seagate 7200RPM

- Broadcom 5784

Any help would be awesome...

Thank you in advance

• 2 months later...
Hi guys, I need some help here. I managed to install retail Snow with no problems. The problem i'm having now is i can't get it to boot without the boot cd. What do i need to do to get this thing going? I tried to follow the steps on http://macyourpc.com/2009/09/13/mac-os-x-1...oot-132-method/ and it didn't work, i tried to install RC2 and it didn't work either, I tried to Uinstaller and you can guess what happened. After i install any of these bootloaders, i get to the screen to select the partition to boot from, and it goes to the apple screen and that's as far as it goes. It recognizes my trackpad and it works perfectly. It recognizes my video card as an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 (Which is wrong).

- 2.4 GHZ

- 4 GB Ram 1066MHZ

- 500 GB Seagate 7200RPM

- Broadcom 5784

Thank you in advance

I have same laptop configuration

do you have QE/CE support for the video card

when booting from CD?

- 2.4 GHZ

- 4 GB Ram 1066MHZ

- 500 GB Seagate 7200RPM

- Broadcom 5784

Thank you in advance

i have same laptop configuration i try the ISO from

http://macyourpc.com/2009/09/13/mac-os-x-1...oot-132-method/

but i got freezing at still wating for root device or Fireware 00000000000000 error

can you please tell me which boot-132 cd did you use or if you have any custom bios settings

or what bios version are you using.

Any help would be appreciated.