Snow Leopard on a P5LP-LE

Davidv

10 posts in this topic

I know when I was trying to get this install going, I could not find anything on why I was having the problems I was having so I thought I would share a bit. I had succesfully gotten a previous install of 10.5.6 working, but the video card never really got installed. I had already deleted the partition of 10.5.6 before I started this process, so I couldn't just do an upgrade. I needed a clean install.

So, now I can say I have successfully installed Snow Leopard on a P5LP-LE with a PNY GeForce 210 512MB PCIe

First of all I started with the Usb method outlined on How to Build a Hackintosh with Snow Leopard, Start to Finish Note: I used the first method, not the updated method noted in the article. It required some terminal work, but it allowed me to use the latest and greatest from Netkas and Chameleon.

I did use the latest Chameleon (Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin at the time of this article)

and the latest boot file from Netkas.org (PC_EFI V10.5 at the time of this article)

When I finished my USB install package, I then removed the extensions.mtext located under Extras on the install drive. I then created a folder called "Extensions" and then placed the following kexts from http://www.kexts.com within:

• EVOenabler.kext
  • Snow Leopard NVEnabler
  • NVInject (32-/64-bit)
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • fakesmc.kext

When I first booted up without replacing the extensions folder, i was getting a ridiculous lag from the video card. Now the essentials all work. Net card, the onboard sound, dvd writer, etc.

Now on to figure out the other items like the card reader, the wireless, the tv tuner, etc.

I will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I have an HP m7760n Media Center with the same motherboard. I plan to install OSX on it right after the new year (too much stuff going on now to devote real time to it). Any detailed instructions you can offer would be great.

Im new to the forum but i would like to get this running... I have same motherboard 2 gb ram and a p4 3.2ghz with ht.. i got 10.5.2 to run with ToHx86 install. and i have the new retail snow leopard but im lost any help appreciated... I will do my part to inform back when i get it working. i wondering if you can fresh install with the retail and what would i have to do...

Im new to the forum but i would like to get this running... I have same motherboard 2 gb ram and a p4 3.2ghz with ht.. i got 10.5.2 to run with ToHx86 install. and i have the new retail snow leopard but im lost any help appreciated... I will do my part to inform back when i get it working. i wondering if you can fresh install with the retail and what would i have to do...

{UPDATE}

i think i almost got it with usb install im trying somthing i found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZQ1EqFhKQ let me know if this works for anyone i'll inform if it works for me....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info, but I am trying to install Snow Leopard on an HP Pavillion with ASUS P5P-LE motherboard using the method described here (and in other places too) and am getting nothing. When I boot from the DVD I get the Apple Logo screen and nothing else. Help!

Thanks again.

W Setliff

I finished creating the USB install disk as per original poster, davidv's, instructions.

I don't have time to do the install now on the HP pavilion media center I have, but will do it tomorrow. Will of course report back.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has updates. Davidv, have you found the kexts for the wireless etc? any other updates?

anyone else managed to finalize the install?

Updating:

I managed to install Snow Leopard and am now trying to finalize driver/kext issues.

I'm running an HP m7760n Media Center.

Process:

1. Like original poster, created USB install disk using the lifehacker guide. I actually did end up using the easy method with the one package. Super easy.

2. Tweaked BIOS (got Kernel panics before). I'm not sure that all tweaks are required, but this is what I did: DIsabled LAN, Audio, ieee1394. Changed from RAID to AHCI. Disabled PATA. Enabled virtualization. Changed to non-plug and play OS. (I'm not sure any P5LP has these settings, they may be HP specific).

3. Installed to a pre-formatted SATA drive (1 partition, extended, GUID)

4. Re-ran the lifehacker "all-in-one" program to allow boot directly from hard drive (at this point I could take out the USB drive).

The system boots like this, and I was able to complete the initial setup etc.

I then proceeded by deleting the extensions.mkext and replacing it with the extensions that the original poster suggested (in /extra/extensions). Again, boots well.

I am now playing with the different bios options to see what I can reenable. Updates will follow.

Updating:

I managed to install Snow Leopard and am now trying to finalize driver/kext issues.

I'm running an HP m7760n Media Center.

Process:

1. Like original poster, created USB install disk using the lifehacker guide. I actually did end up using the easy method with the one package. Super easy.

2. Tweaked BIOS (got Kernel panics before). I'm not sure that all tweaks are required, but this is what I did: DIsabled LAN, Audio, ieee1394. Changed from RAID to AHCI. Disabled PATA. Enabled virtualization. Changed to non-plug and play OS. (I'm not sure any P5LP has these settings, they may be HP specific).

3. Installed to a pre-formatted SATA drive (1 partition, extended, GUID)

4. Re-ran the lifehacker "all-in-one" program to allow boot directly from hard drive (at this point I could take out the USB drive).

The system boots like this, and I was able to complete the initial setup etc.

I then proceeded by deleting the extensions.mkext and replacing it with the extensions that the original poster suggested (in /extra/extensions). Again, boots well.

I am now playing with the different bios options to see what I can reenable. Updates will follow.

It appears the PATA setting is the only thing that has to be disabled to get it to work. I do have an IDE drive in there which obviously I cannot access when PATA is off.

I have not been able to get either sound, lan, wifi or card reader to work. the hvr-150 is a lost cause, I suspect.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with the setup. The CPU fan often goes wild and works at 100% speed even if there is no activity.

BTW I am using a geforce 8600gt and the extensions from the gigabyte package used by lifehacker worked better than the extensions mentioned by davidv.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, but I am trying to install Snow Leopard on an HP Pavillion with ASUS P5P-LE motherboard using the method described here (and in other places too) and am getting nothing. When I boot from the DVD I get the Apple Logo screen and nothing else. Help!

Thanks again.

W Setliff

I am getting the same problem as you. Did you ever figuare what it was? Also, is there anyway to install this on a PATA drive?