Guide: installing OS X 10.5.7 on Fujitsu Lifebook P1610 with iAtkos v7

quangdx

20 posts in this topic

The first time I installed OSX on my P1610 I used Kalyway 10.5.2, it was pretty successful,

but there were a few remaining issues and it was a lot of hard work.

Quite a few months down the line and much has improved in the world of hackintosh,

My latest install is with iAtkos v7, which can be found at any good torrent search.

I do suggest burning the disc at the slowest speed possible to minimise errors on the DVDR.

Here is how I installed iAtkos v7 OS X 10.5.7 on my Fujitsu P1610.

I'm not guaranteeing it will work for you, it's just how I did it.

MANY MANY THANKS to all that put the work in to make this possible.

<Preparation>

-------------

The very first thing I did was replace the standard Atheros WiFi card in my P1610,

with a Airport compatible 802.11N Broadcom based WiFi card, that I picked up off eBay.

No idea if iAtkos v7 supports the original Atheros card as I got rid of ages ago.

Downloaded and burned the iAtkos v7 disc image at x2 speed.

Plug in my external USB DVD rom and put the iAtkos v7 disc in.

Turn on your Fujitsu Lifebook P1610 and at the POST screen hit F2 to enter the BIOS.

In the BIOS go over to Boot and down to Boot Device Priority.

in the list of Boot priority order, I removed everything except CD/DVD drive,

hit x to remove or add a device to the list.

Hit F10 to save and exit, then enter to confirm.

<Installation>

--------------

Boot from CD/DVD drive and at the Darwin loader

press F8 for options and type -v to boot in verbose mode.

Once the installer loads up

click the button to continue

under utilities menu

click on Disk Utility

Select the drive in your P1610, then choose the Partition tab.

You could create just one partition if you want just Mac OS X, format it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

----

I have mine setup as a dualboot, Mac OS X and Windows XP Tablet.

So created two equal sized paritions the first being a Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

the second being (MS-DOS) FAT so I can install Windows XP Tablet to it.

Once the partitions are created,

I then install Windows XP Tablet as I normally would, during the XP installation I reformat the FAT partition to NTFS.

Since it doesn't see the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition there is no issues here.

After installing Windows XP, boot from the iAtkos disc again with F8 and typing -v.

----

Agree to the edited iAtkos license agreement,

Select a Destination - click on the Mac OS partiton, then continue

Install Summary - Customize

(the following are the options I used, they may not be the best, but they work for me.)

-iATKOS v7 Main System

-Bootloader

--Chameleon v2

-X86 Patches

--/Extra directory

--DSDT

--Decrypters

---AppleDecrypt

--SMBIOS drivers

---SMBIOS Enablers

----SMBIOS Resolver

---SMBIOS' for X86

----AppleSMBIOS-28

--Kernel

---9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

--Disabler

-Drivers

--VGA

---Intel

----GMA 950

-----GMA 950 Laptop

--System

---SATA/IDE

----Generic IDE

---CardBus Driver

---USB

---Sound

----Voodoo HDA driver

---PS/2 mouse/keyboard

----Apple PS/2 driver

---Laptop Battery

---NTFS-3G

---Network

----Wireless

-----Broadcom BCM43xx

-Post-Install Actions

Click Done, then Install

<Setup>

-------

Once the Install has succeeded, click restart,

and when you get the Fujitsu POST screen hit F2 to go into the BIOS

Unplug the USB DVD drive

Remove the CD/DVD drive from the Boot priority order,

and re-add the hard drive Drive0:

Press F10 to save and exit, then enter to confirm.

When you get the Chameleon boot screen, push down three times to select Boot Verbose and hit enter.

OSX will start up and you should hear some funky music playing out the speakers,

Select Country

Keyboard

Dou you already own a mac? - Continue

Select a wireless Service

Enter your Apple ID - you can leave it blank and hit Continue

Registration Information - Alt+Q to skip

Create Your Account Name and a password

Select Time Zone

Set the Date and Time

Don't Forget to Register - Done

<Display>

---------

First things first, set the correct screen resolution.

Click on System preferences, the metallic looking Cogs icon at the bottom

then under the Hardware heading, Displays.

select 1280x768 to get the correct resolution.

<Ethernet Networking>

---------------------

From the menu select Go - Utilities

then double click on Teminal

Type the following instructions

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo nano IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

it will ask for your password, if you haven't set one, this won't work.

to set a password type passwd into the terminal screen.

It will open and display the Info.plist file in the terminal window.

Hit Ctrl+w then type 0x436211ab

edit that value to read 0x436311ab by changing the 2 to a 3.

the hit Ctrl+o to save, hit enter to confirm the filename,

then Ctrl+x to exit

type

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

then type

diskutil repairPermissions /

Wait for it to finish repairing all the disk permissions.

Click on the Apple symbol at the top left, and select Restart

Once again at the Chameleon Boot Loader screen, press Down 3 times to select Boot Verbose

When it's all loaded up and you're logged in, load System Preferences

and under Internet & Network select the Network icon.

It should now add your ethernet network adapter to the network settings and you click OK then Apply.

<Keyboard layout>

-----------------

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=767201

download and install the Microsoft Keyboard layouts,

once that's done, restart the computer and go into System Preferences and select International.

Select Input Menu.

scroll through and check the box for the keyboard you have.

mine is British - Microsoft.

Then up in the top right you'll see a little Flag where you can click on to change the keyboard layout.

<Upgrade to 10.5.8>

-------------------

Click on the Apple icon, top right, and select Software update,

uncheck the 10.5.8 update for now, and update everything else.

once it's all updated and restarted, check for updates again,

hopefully there is now only the 10.5.8 update left.

Check that and apply that update, it takes a while,

but it should restart a couple of times and you'll now have 10.5.8 running on your P1610.

<Things that are not working>

-----------------------------

Touchscreen, Buttons on the screen bezel, SD card reader.

I don't think I'm going to be able to get the Touchscreen to work,

as the P1610 uses a serial touchscreen controller, which there doesn't seem to be any support for.

Again the same for the buttons on the screen bezel, no support.

But I reckon with a bit more hunting around I should be able to get the SD card reader working. Hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks I got the iAtkos v7 distribution working and I'm now dual booting OSX and Win7

Couple of things I have found:

- My wifi works without changing anything. I think I have the Atheros card. Will check the exact model once I boot into Win7

- The Ethernet card works. Thanks for the fix.

- Sleep doesn't work. If the display gets turned off due to sleep or energy saving the display backlight won't light up. You can just about see the screen is on. Is there a fix ?

- I actually tried this a while back but found OSX86 hung every so often so I gave up. Not sure if it will do the same again. For now I will avoid updating to 10.5.8

The Wifi card I have is an Atheros AR5006EXS Wireless adaptor

The Ethernet card is a Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E adaptor

There is no need to select any network adaptors in the iAtkos v7 installer

Hope that helps everyone

• 1 month later...

Finally ended up ordering the P1620 HDD cable to allow me to install a 64GB zif drive in. All working very well and dual booting with win7. Battery status monitor seems to be a bit flaky. Doesn't seem to move up after it's been charged to full and dropped. Will investigate. Still a sleep problem with the backlight so I don't use sleep

• 10 months later...

Hi thanks for your great instructions.

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook A6030 with Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Followed your instructions and with iATKOS v7, everything works like a charm.

However, now I want to re-install a fresh copy of 10.6.3 using iATKOS S3 v2.

Having trouble with the 88E8055 Ethernet not working.

The instructions for iATKOS v7 don't work.

Has anyone got the solution for iATKOS S3 v2?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have the default Atheros card that came with the P1610, and I installed iAtkos s3 v2, and the wireless is not working (I don't see a wireless icon in the upper right or anything in the Network settings). I checked the Atheros checkbox in the wireless portion of the iAtkos installation customization, but still nothing. Has anyone had success with this? I'm a complete os x newbie, by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

• 1 month later...

I succeeded in installing iAtkos S3 10.6.3 with update to OS X 10.6.6 on my P1620 (version with UMTS modem). Problematic is the GMA950, which doesn't work perfectly a.t.m., but the 10.6.6-kext is being loaded (kext from iAtkos 10.6.3 is not being loaded by the system), the proper resolutions can be chosen and QE/CI works. I installed with these options:

Bootloader: AsereBLN v.1.1.9

Patches:

/Extra

FakeSMC

Deaktiviert

RTC > RTC

EVO Reboot

Driver:

SATA/IDE > AHCI SATA

Sound > Voodoo HDA

PS/2 > Apple PS/2

CPU SpeedStep > Voodoo P-State

Laptop > Battery

VGA > Intel > EFI String

VGA > Intel > GMA 950 > GMA 950 27A2 (32bit)

VGA > Intel > GMA 950 > GMA 950 27AE (32bit)

(yes, both - I don't know why, but this is the only combination that worked for me...)

Important note: It might happen that the iAtkos-installer resets the computer in the middle of the installation procedure. This seems to be a problem relating the screen saver - what helps in this case is to move the mouse a bit every few minutes, which prevents the screen saver to be activated. This way the installation should be completed without any further problems.

Install; after that, when booting the first time boot with these flags: -v -f arch=x32 (otherwise the GMA950 doesn't work, at least on my P1620). If you restart before having installed 10.6.6 always use the arch=x32 option.

Ethernet works with quangdx's guide, but you have to edit the AppleYukon2.kext within the IONetworkingFamily.kext, not AppleYukon.kext. Note that only the 10.6.3-kext works (the 10.6.6-kext didn't work when I patched it).

Copy the edited kext to a safe place. Now you can install the 10.6.6 combo update (for this I downloaded the combo installer from Apple's support-website). Re-install the edited 10.6.3-IONetworkingFamily-kext using for example kext helper.

After the update also the GMA950 should work without the arch=x32 boot flag. Important: If the screen gets weird and unreadable while booting, you have to press the Fn+F5 twice, magically the screen should be displayed properly after that.

You should be able to choose the proper resolution now.

Still the GMA950-driver is a bit buggy, especially recognition of a second display doesn't work with every monitor. Edit: At least sleep is working, see post #11.

(Not working a.t.m.: WiFi (Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG - no working driver available), Touchscreen calibration, SD-card reader, UMTS-modem, Fingerprint-sensor.)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on what's working:

PCMCIA - seems to be working using Chun-Nan's "10.5.6.only"-IOPCMCIAFamily-kext, see his MediaFire-folder. Have to see what we can do with it, support for the SD card reader would be very nice.

UMTS modem: Working with Sierra Wireless generic AirCard Watcher, see their support-webpage, under AirCard 880U - Others Global. OS X crashed a couple of times when using the AirCard Watcher, though, but nevertheless it seems to be stable enough to use it when you need it.

I also tried flashing the device with the newest firmware which is said to activate the GPS function, but the AirCard cannot get a fix. Would be very interesting if others could try this, too (to those who have the UMTS-capable version of the P1620) - on other notebooks with the same(?) card GPS works. I had to flash it on Windows, though, the OS X-firmware updater didn't work. If you try it: the AirCard Watcher must not be started when flashing the device. Actually flashing only worked as soon as I uninstalled the Watcher.

• 1 month later...

The Hazard 10.6.6i-distro works on the P1620, too, though patching the iso-file with the "SL_10.6.6i_IOATAFamily.ppf" seems to be needed. I chose the LegacyAHCI_PIIXATA- and the IOATAFamilyFix-option, together with the Voodoo-sound driver and one of the GMA950-driver (both the standard one and the "Netbook"-one seem to be working, except sleep, which unfortunately doesn't work with either one or the other).

There might be problems with Ethernet; I haven't tried to patch the IONetworkingFamily.kext according quangdx's guide, but as I wrote in my first post it didn't work using the 10.6.6-kext. WiFi, internal SD-card-reader, touch screen calibration and fingerprint-sensor of course still don't work, as there simply are no working drivers for it...

There doesn't seem to be anything working better than with the iAtkos-distro together with the normal 10.6.6-update. On the other hand the iAtkos-distro handles other languages better; in the Hazard-distro (as well as in any other 10.6-distro I know) there always are things that remain in english even if you choose another language (German in my case). That's why I still prefer the iAtkos-distro.

New update:

Sleep is working now. Here's what's needed to get it working:

- SleepEnabler for 10.6.6; there are many sources, just google it, you'll find it quickly. Install and reboot.

- Go to Terminal and set Sleep Mode to "0" with this command: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 (you can now also delete the sleepimage file (if present) that takes as much space on your HD/SSD as you have RAM by using this command: sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage )

- In System Preferences under Energy Saver, uncheck "Wake for Ethernet network access"

- Download and install Chameleon RC5; you can find an installer for example in this thread (I used the one based on rev. 747). (For convenience you can install the Preference Panel, too (just double-click on the Chameleon-Snow.prefPane), so you can easily make modifications on Chameleon's settings.)

- Put the attached DSDT file to the root directory of your boot volume.

Now reboot et voilà, sleep is working! As an extra I included a part in the DSDT that allows you to get the restart/sleep/shut down-menu by pulling the power switch of the P1620.

Be aware that this DSDT is for the P1620, it may be necessary to build another DSDT for the P1610, of course the P1630 and maybe even the version of the P1620 without UMTS modem.

DSDT_P1620.zip

For those who can't use the compiled DSDT above and want (or have to) edit the DSDT themselves, here are the instructions how to do it. I don't have much time at the moment, though, so just quickly the parts that I changed in my DSDT without much explanation:

0. Extract your DSDT using an DSDT editor, for example the one called "DSDT Editor".

1. Fix for activating the power button: Find the part with "Device (PWRB)"

2. Replace this part (it should look like this or maybe similar, I don't have my original DSDT saved any more):

Device (PWRB)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
           Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Return (0x0F)
           }
       }

with this:

Device (PWRB)
       {
           Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
           Name (_UID, 0xAA)
           Name (_STA, 0x0B)
       }

3. Fix for sleep: Add the following code (I added it just in front of the "Device (PWRB)"-part):

Device (PNLF)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
           Name (_CID, "backlight")
           Name (_UID, 0x0A)
           Name (_STA, 0x0B)
       }

4. Maybe not necessary, but it doesn't hurt: Find the part with "Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)"

5. Replace the "Return (Zero)" on the end of this part with this:

Return (Package (0x02)
       {
           Zero, 
           Zero
       })

6. Compile the DSDT; you will probably get an error and a warning - click on the "Fix error"-button and ignore the warning.

7. Save the AML-file (name it "dsdt.aml") in the root directory of your boot volume.

8. Reboot.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on the GPS function of the HSPA-modem: It really works - when using for example a long WLAN-antenna cable hanging out of the laptop... Actually even when switching the cable of the internal antenna of the HSPA-modem with the ones of the WLAN-card makes the HSPA-modem catching a few satellites, but unfortunately not enough for getting a fix. It would be perfect if you could use a very good antenna plugged into the secondary antenna connector - too bad the internal antennas are not good enough.

And another update on WiFi: As there is no fully working driver for the internal Intel WiFi-card of the P1620 (or at least my version of the P1620) I followed quangdx advice and replaced my card with a Broadcom BCM94321 one - works perfectly. You just have to have Chun-Nan's IOPCMCIAFamily-kext installed (see post #9) as a prerequisite. Only then the card is recognized and labeled as an AirPort-card - no other drivers are needed.

Be careful though when exchanging the cards. For this you have to open the casing by lifting the longish cover part above the keyboard - note that there is a screw on the bottom of the P1620 which you have to remove first! Next delicate problem is to lift the keyboard without damaging it: The keyboard is hold by double adhesive tape (is it called like that?) and you have to be careful as the keyboard bends very easily. After that you can see the UMTS-card in the middle of the computer and the WiFi-card on the right side - this is the one that we're looking for. Unplug the two antenna cables.

Unfortunately the card is covered by not-easily-removable plastic. So you then have to remove at least the screws on the right side of the computer's bottom (left side seen from the bottom), so there is a chance to push the card outside of its "cage" by bending the plastic housing just as much as it's needed. It's a bit of a pain, but as long as you're careful it's not that hard. Of course you can remove the whole housing, too, if you don't want to spare the effort.

Replug the two antenna cables, close the housing - and that's actually it. Everything should work like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding update to 10.6.7: It works, but only with the 10.6.6-kernel or older (there might be solutions that work with the newest kernel, but I haven't looked into that yet), plus in order to keep WiFi working you have to use the old IO80211Family.kext, too.

That means you have to backup your old mach-kernel first (for example with good old OSx86Tools) and copy the IO80211Family.kext to a save place. Then install the system update (I always download the update-installer from the Apple website - delta update if you're on 10.6.6 or combo update if you have an older OSX). Then you have to do three things before restart! 1. Install SleepEnabler for 10.6.7, and: 2. Re-install the kernel you made a backup of (again using for example OSx86Tools). 3. You can now also re-install the IO80211Family.kext (for example using Kext Wizard). That's it.

Just a remark: Generally it's very useful to have a bootable cloned image of your system on an external drive, so you can boot from it in case something went wrong... I still use CarbonCopyCloner for this, you just have to install the Chameleon bootloader on the external drive, too, to make it bootable.

• 2 weeks later...

Success on making GPS work: I installed a U-shaped antenna (see attached picture) that's obviously got a better reception than the first antenna I tried. The new antenna has to be attached to the main plug and the original internal antenna cable to the auxiliary plug, though, which causes the quality of the UMTS reception to drop significantly. It's still usable with reception most of the time, but with this solution you have to choose: either to have very good UMTS reception and no GPS or GPS and weaker UMTS reception... But hey, now I've got GPS, how cool's that? (Even though I don't know for what I might use it...)

On the attached picture you can also see a bit of the internals of the P1620: UMTS-card in the middle (with the U-shaped antenna installed on top of the card) and the WiFi-card on the top right side.

post-66599-1305460934_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update relating SD card reader and PC Card slot: Unfortunately the internal SD card reader is connected to a PCMCIA bus (opposite to the ones used in MacBooks, which are connected to a USB bus). The problem is that there simply is no working driver for this kind of SD card reader.

But there is a sort of workaround for this: You can buy a cheap PCMCIA SD card reader in form of a PC Card. With the correct drivers installed you can insert the PC Card into the slot and have a working internal SD card reader. Problem here: Snow Leopard doesn't support PC Cards any more. But fortunately it is possible to add this feature to SL. Prerequisite are the following drivers:

IOPCIFamily.kext (driver for the PCMCIA bus): Best you use this derivative of Chun-Nan's kext found in this thread. I used oldnapalm's IOPCIFamily-115 (download the IOPCIFamily.kext.zip-file), you can also check if there was a newer version realeased in the meantime.

IOPCCardFamily.kext (driver for the PC Card slot): I used Chun-Nan's one, see post #9. It's located inside the IOPCMCIAFamily-kext in the plugin-folder.

ApplePCCard16ATA.kext & ApplePCCardATA (drivers used by the PCMCIA SD card reader): They can be found for example in the Extensions-folder of OS X Leopard.

I bundled these kext's in the attached file:

PCMCIASDCardReader.zip

Install these kext's using for example Kext Wizard and reboot. That's it, now the PCMCIA SD card reader is recognized and you can use SD cards without any USB-adapters!

PS: There might be a possibility to also use PC Card-based Smartcard readers. In Leopard there is a driver for this, it's the SCR24X_Apple_Driver.kext. I don't have such a Smartcard reader, so I'm not able to try it.

• 1 month later...

Regarding update to 10.6.8: Again some work is needed to make it work. Here's the instructions if you are using 10.6.7:

1. Make a backup of these four files located in the /System/Library/Extensions-directory: AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IO80211Family.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext
  2. Make a backup of the file Apple80211Monitor.bundle located in the directory /System/Library/SystemConfiguration.
  3. Download a new version of SleepEnabler for 10.6.8 (or SleepEnablerNG, which supports both SL and Lion already).
  4. Download the "MacOSXUpd10.6.8.dmg"-file from Apple's support website and install - but do not restart yet!
  5. Copy the file Apple80211Monitor.bundle back to its original location.
  6. Re-install the four .kext's you made a backup of (for example using KextWizard).
  7. Install the new SleepEnabler (again for example using KextWizard).
  8. (You might have to repair the permissions - it might work without this step, I simply haven't tested if it works when you don't repair the permissions.)
  9. Now you can restart.

Everything works now, also WiFi and Sleep (which don't work if you don't re-install the 802.11-related files).

• 1 month later...

After some trial-and-error I found out why the 10.6.8-update first didn't work (no WiFi and Sleep, some processes crashing every few seconds freezing the system each time for some moments etc.). It was because of the Apple80211Monitor.bundle located in the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration-directory. Using the 10.6.7-version of the file solved the problem. I edited the guide above, so update to 10.6.8 shouldn't make any problems now.

• 3 months later...

Just got done downloading iiAtkos S3 V2 10.6.3, I can't believe no other P1610 owners haven't tried this yet... It's just about got every single driver we needed, I'll report back with results... As far as ethernet goes I chose 88E8056 it was the closest to 88E8055 so we'll see if it works successfully.

Okay so I got it installed but still no ethernet or wifi, now the laptop will go to sleep but sometimes wont wake back up also but everything else is working perfectly.