iAtkos v7 and Vista SP1 Dual Boot using Chameleon

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to the boards. I have had great success installing osx86 on my Dell XPS M1530 thanks to all of the detailed guides on these very detailed forums. I am now trying to dual boot Vista and OS X using chameleon. When I try to boot into Vista, I get the error "Failed to start..... File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe"

Here are the steps I took during the install process:

1. Make 2 partitions

2. Install Vista on partition 1

3. Install OSX on partition 2

During the OSX install I selected to also install chameleon v2.

Now my OS X partition works like a charm, cant say the same for Vista. I believe I installed OSX using MBR if that is a help.

I am NOT familiar with OSX or its commands, I am very new to the OSX community, so please, any help given, pretend you are talking to a 6 year old.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Hello,

I am new to the boards. I have had great success installing osx86 on my Dell XPS M1530 thanks to all of the detailed guides on these very detailed forums. I am now trying to dual boot Vista and OS X using chameleon. When I try to boot into Vista, I get the error "Failed to start..... File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe"

1. Make 2 partitions

Now my OS X partition works like a charm, cant say the same for Vista. I believe I installed OSX using MBR if that is a help.

I am NOT familiar with OSX or its commands, I am very new to the OSX community, so please, any help given, pretend you are talking to a 6 year old.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

1. Download the gparted live cd, boot from it, and use it to set your vista partition as active.

2. Boot up from your vista install disc and repair your windows vista installation.

3. Boot up from gparted again and set your mac os x partition as active.

You should now be greeted with the chameleon bootloader when you boot your computer and you can choose between mac os x or windows :)

I struggled with this too. After installing Mac, the Vista boot is messed up. To fix it using Vista Recovery Disk, do the following:

1) Boot Vista Recovery Disk and got to command prompt.

2) Run diskpart, do the following within diskpart

2.1: list your disks using command "list disk"

2.2: select the disk with your vista/mac installation using command "select disk N", where N is the disk number.

2.3: run command "list partition" to show your partitions

2.4: select vista partition using command "select partition M", where M is your vista partition

2.5: run command "active"

2.6: run command "exit"

3) Fix BCD by running the follow command in the command prompt

bootrec /rebuildbcd

4) Run diskpart again, this time set the Mac partition as active. Exit diskpart, exit command prompt.

5) Reboot!

Personally I think the installer should fix the mess!

Max

Hello,

1. Make 2 partitions

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

• 1 month later...
I struggled with this too. After installing Mac, the Vista boot is messed up. To fix it using Vista Recovery Disk, do the following:

1) Boot Vista Recovery Disk and got to command prompt.

2) Run diskpart, do the following within diskpart

2.1: list your disks using command "list disk"

2.2: select the disk with your vista/mac installation using command "select disk N", where N is the disk number.

2.3: run command "list partition" to show your partitions

2.4: select vista partition using command "select partition M", where M is your vista partition

2.5: run command "active"

2.6: run command "exit"

3) Fix BCD by running the follow command in the command prompt

bootrec /rebuildbcd

4) Run diskpart again, this time set the Mac partition as active. Exit diskpart, exit command prompt.

5) Reboot!

Personally I think the installer should fix the mess!

Max

Thanks Max! Was having the same problem. WHY CAN"T THEY JUST ALL GET ALONG!?!?!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

1. Make 2 partitions

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Can you please show me which guides did u follow to get your XPS 1530 working?

• 2 months later...

I have tried the above in some plausible variations to no avail.

I want to have a windows 7 installation side by side with a macOS X via iatkos v7 installation on a HP compaq 8510w with dual boot.

First i installed iatkos v7 on a free partition next to a working vista partition. booting into osx worked, installing hexhexes 8510w drivers worked too, but vista was broken after that (cant find \ ... \winload.exe ), so i applied the steps above after downloading the vista recovery disk. The result was, that windows started to boot, but then bluescreened on me.

So i chose to just ditch the vista partition and go to win7 directly (an upgrade that would have been due some months from now anyway). Installed win7 on the old vista partition, worked fine, booted fine, but apparently the win7 installer disk had the chameleon bootloader removed (the osx partition was still untouched). It booted straight into win7 now at poweron.

Installing (or rather "refreshing") the osx install on the osx partition with the iatkos v7 DVD brought chameleon back, but broke windoes 7 again. I fixed that with the guide above using diskpart from the recovery disk.

It seems to be a catch 22.

How would i install chameleon manually in such a setup or for that matter any other bootloader that does not break booting into win7 _and_ osx? Live cd/dvd or windows side installer preferred, as i currently can't boot into OSX without re-applying the iatkos v7 dvd (again) and breaking win7 (again).

Many thanks for your help.

- Stefan

I have tried the above in some plausible variations to no avail.

I want to have a windows 7 installation side by side with a macOS X via iatkos v7 installation on a HP compaq 8510w with dual boot.

I'll answer my own question here: Found this thread that held the instructions to the solution to my problem

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1156232

Thanks and cheers,

Stefan