Reboot loop on install DVD of iPC 10.5.6 on Core i7

dixit

4 posts in this topic

I just built this new Core i7 920 based computer. Using the Gigabye EX58-UD3R board with 6gig of DDR3-1600 ram, 1TB SATA Drive, 1gig ATI Radeon HD 4670. Vista x64 runs fine on it and got it ready for dual booting.

Got a hold of the latest iPC DVD and when I load it, it starts with the Darwin loader, I press enter to start the DVD installation and it starts loading darwin, and then just reboots itself. After trying again with -v it seems to only get about 4-5lines in and reboots on "Starting Darwin x86". Thats the last line i can see before it reboots.

Ive tried almost everything in the bios from turning off HPET, changing the IDE from Native to Legacy Mode, changing from AHCI to RAID to Disabled, nothing really helps, the install DVD never even gets into the blue screen to start the install.

I was searching around and ran across this one thread of someone saying you the 9.5.0 kernel is not support on the x58 boards and I believe that is what the iPC 10.5.6 distro has. They mention you must use 9.6.0.

I ran across this nice thread that shows how to install on a gigabyte board (similar to what I have on Core i7 processor) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

They mention using the retail DVD methods. But where Im confused if one uses say the 10.5.5 retail dvd wont the kernel be the 9.5.0? Maybe Im going down the wrong path.....

Basically Im trying to figure out why this install DVD cant even get past step2 of even getting to the blue screen/graphical install portion. The reboot looks like its rebooting on a kernel panic.

Any help on what might be the cause is appreciated. In the meantime im trying to get my hands on the 10.5.6 retail DVD and maybe try that to see if I get anywhere using Boot132.

Dixit

So i tried this again, this time using the latest Boot-132 and Retail 10.5.6 DVD. Still does the same thing, once the retail DVD is in there and it begins the "Loading Darwin" line within about 5secs it reboots. So starting to feel more and more this is a kernel panic causing this.

That thread mentioned above for Gigabyte boards talks about using the 9.6.0 voodoo kernel and modifying the boot.plist to include the busratio=20, so I may have to see if that will work. Im going to have to figure out how to add these kexts (the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel and the system.kext) to the original Boot-132 ISO on a Windows box. Or figure out a way to modify it in on Tiger (I have one box running Tiger 10.4.10).

Dixit

• 8 months later...
So i tried this again, this time using the latest Boot-132 and Retail 10.5.6 DVD. Still does the same thing, once the retail DVD is in there and it begins the "Loading Darwin" line within about 5secs it reboots. So starting to feel more and more this is a kernel panic causing this.

That thread mentioned above for Gigabyte boards talks about using the 9.6.0 voodoo kernel and modifying the boot.plist to include the busratio=20, so I may have to see if that will work. Im going to have to figure out how to add these kexts (the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel and the system.kext) to the original Boot-132 ISO on a Windows box. Or figure out a way to modify it in on Tiger (I have one box running Tiger 10.4.10).

Dixit

Ever find a solution, stuck on same boat... I used iPC on an old Pentium and it worked beautifully

• 7 months later...
I just built this new Core i7 920 based computer. Using the Gigabye EX58-UD3R board with 6gig of DDR3-1600 ram, 1TB SATA Drive, 1gig ATI Radeon HD 4670. Vista x64 runs fine on it and got it ready for dual booting.

Got a hold of the latest iPC DVD and when I load it, it starts with the Darwin loader, I press enter to start the DVD installation and it starts loading darwin, and then just reboots itself. After trying again with -v it seems to only get about 4-5lines in and reboots on "Starting Darwin x86". Thats the last line i can see before it reboots.

Ive tried almost everything in the bios from turning off HPET, changing the IDE from Native to Legacy Mode, changing from AHCI to RAID to Disabled, nothing really helps, the install DVD never even gets into the blue screen to start the install.

I was searching around and ran across this one thread of someone saying you the 9.5.0 kernel is not support on the x58 boards and I believe that is what the iPC 10.5.6 distro has. They mention you must use 9.6.0.

I ran across this nice thread that shows how to install on a gigabyte board (similar to what I have on Core i7 processor) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

They mention using the retail DVD methods. But where Im confused if one uses say the 10.5.5 retail dvd wont the kernel be the 9.5.0? Maybe Im going down the wrong path.....

Basically Im trying to figure out why this install DVD cant even get past step2 of even getting to the blue screen/graphical install portion. The reboot looks like its rebooting on a kernel panic.

Any help on what might be the cause is appreciated. In the meantime im trying to get my hands on the 10.5.6 retail DVD and maybe try that to see if I get anywhere using Boot132.

Dixit

Same problem here but on an AMD Phenom X4 955. There is no chance of loading anything, it just goes right into a reboot loop after a few lines of code in verbose mode.