Leopard and Ubuntu (hardy) dual booting

4 posts in this topic

hello every one!

i have been a very satisfied user of Hackintosh iAtkos 1,0 on my toshiba R25 Tablet PC.

but a couple of days ago i (mesmerized by compiz fusion eye candy!) wanted Ubuntu more than anything else in this world!

and i installed Ubuntu Hardy on my computer cleanly.

it works wonderfully, even Wlan and stuff!

and i have heard people have gotten the Tablet functionality to work too! so i'd probably be able get it to work too!

but now i really really miss the stability of Leopard!

i was wondering if it was possible to dual boot ubuntu and leopard, and found out it should be so much of an headache!

but .. .

grub is just isn't my peace of cake!

i tried everything that i could find on the internet!

but in vain!

i followed this guide even if it did not apply to my specifications entirely, i mean this guide required that you had Ubuntu already installed on your pc, but i had leopard, and i installed ubuntu afterwards!

here is the guide!

What you need:

1. Ubuntu Gutsy Live CD - Get the .iso at Ubuntu download and burn it into a CD
  2. iATKOS_v1.0ir2.iso - There are two versions to this: iATKOS_v1.0i and iATKOS_v1.0ir2. Get the one with the 'r2′ behind. The file size is 2.44gb. Source for it in Google. Burn the image to a DVD.
  3. pc_efi_v80.tar.bz2 - This is essential for configuring the grub. Download and place it in your Gutsy's home folder. (Google the term 'pc_efi_v80.tar.bz2′ and you should be able to find the download site.)

Let get started!

Creating a partition for Mac OSX

1. Back up your data, especially the /boot/grub folder. (Resizing your hard disk can cause data loss. Please back up all data before you proceed)

2. Go to your BIOS (check out your system user manual for the button to access your BIOS during bootup). Change the first boot device to your DVD-ROM Drive.

3. Insert the Ubuntu Live CD into the DVD ROM and reboot the PC.

4. Boot into Ubuntu (Select "Start or Install Ubuntu" in the boot up screen and wait for it to finish loading)

5. Open System->Administration->Partition Editor.

6. Select the partition that is installed with Ubuntu Gutsy. Click Resize/Move.

7. Enter the new file size. (iATKOS needs a minimum of 5GB for installation, so make sure that you have at least 5GB of free space after resizing). Click OK

8. Back to the GParted screen, you should now see a partition of free space that is unallocated. Click on it and select "New". Allocate all the available space and format as FAT32. (Do not select any other format except FAT32).

9. Once you are done with the configuration, click 'Apply' to finalize changes. You should now have a ext3 partition that contains your Gutsy and a FAT32 partition. (You should also see a swap partition. Don't touch that. It is necessary for Gutsy to run.)

10. Exit GParted and restart the PC.

Installing Mac OSX

11. The PC will eject the Live CD. Remove the Live CD and replace with the iATKOS DVD. Press ENTER to reboot the PC.

12. You should now see a darwin load screen . When it prompted you to install Mac OSX, press ENTER.

13. Wait. After some time, if nothing goes wrong, you should see the Leopard installation screen with a red apple.

14. Press the "–>" on the screen

15. In the next screen, go to Utilities->Disk utility

16. On the left side of the window, you should see the various partitions all greyed out.

17. Select the partition with the FAT32 format. Click on Erase on the right hand side, and under the format options select "MAC OSX Journaled Extended" and click Erase. This will format the FAT32 partition to HFS format. Once the disk is erased and formatted, you can see that the partition is now active (in bold) on the left hand side while rest of the partitions are still greyed out.

18. Exit the Disk utility. This will bring you back to the installation screen. Click Agree and continue.

19. In the next screen, you need to select the partition for installation. It should only show one partition (the one we formatted just now). Select that and click OK.

20. Sit back as the installation goes on for some 20-30 mins based on your RAM. (Note: Don't click on customize and select unnecessary patches, drivers etc, The plain install will do.)

First Login to Mac OSX

21. Once the installation finishes, restart the PC without removing the installer DVD. You need it to boot into Mac OSX.

22. When the PC restarts, don't click anything, even when you are prompted to install Mac. After a while, you should see the grey apple screen and then the beautiful MAC OS startup screen with welcome message.

23. Follow through the series of steps to set up your account. Once finished, you should have a functional MAC Leopard in your desktop. Depending on your hardware, the sound card and airport might/might not work. My sound card and airport work right out of the box.

Configure the boot option

Now that your Mac OSX installation is completed, we need to configure the boot so that you don't have to boot from the installer disk everytime.

24. Remove the DVD from the drive and restart the PC.

25. Boot back to your Ubuntu. You should have no problem in booting back to Gutsy. (If Gutsy can't boot due to corruption in the grub bootloader, reboot from the Live CD and restore the /boot/grub folder from your backup.)

26. In your Gutsy home folder, extract the pc_efi_v80.tar.bz2

27. In the extracted folder, copy boot_v8 to /boot folder (require administrator access). In terminal,

sudo cp /pc_efi_v80/boot_v8 /boot

28. Open the menu.lst in /boot/grub folder. In terminal,

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

look for hiddenmenu and replace it with #hiddenmenu

29. Next, look for something like

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

root (hd0,x)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

quiet

*Depending on your partition configuration, you might see something like (hd0,2) or (hd1,0).

Insert the following line below it:

title Mac OSX Leopard

kernel (hd0,x)/boot/boot_v8

*change the 'x' to the number shown as above.

30. Save and exit.

31.Now, reboot the PC.

32. In the boot up screen, there should be options to boot up Ubuntu 7.10 or Mac OSX Leopard. Select Mac OSX Leopard. You should be able to boot into Mac OSX

please someone help me get my leapard to dual boot with ubuntu !

i don't want to have to reinstall leopard!

A small advice first: when you ask for something (and want to have a clear answer) then put your question 1) briefly and 2) clearly.So if I understood well (not shure) your problem is: there was a Leopard on your HD (and maybe a Windows too ???) and you put an Ubuntu on another partition and you want to have a double (triple) boot.Did you put all that operating systems on the same hard disk ? Yes? No ? (that's important).Answer, and I'll answer to you backFinally, don't answer anything.Take a look first to the linkhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry720451especially to the posts #1 (of wmarsh) which is a tutorial, and #5 (JumpZero), then eventually to mine, #10 (pisikaA) and eventually to the last one from there...And if you still have questions... then put it clearly, by describing YOUR configuration, and the order (in time) in which each operating system has been installed.Good luck!

this doesn't look right in the guide

title Mac OSX Leopard
kernel (hd0,x)/boot/boot_v8

i have a triple boot system, linux, leopard and xp and my entry for osx in my menu.lst is as follows

title OSX		 
rootnoverify (hd0,1)		 
chainloader +1

ok i've had another look at that guide and they are still using ubuntu 7.10 which means the grub is old, thats why they had to add the pc_efi file

if you use the latest ubuntu 8.04 it should have the lastest grub and you can just add

title OSX		 
rootnoverify  (hd0,1)		 
chainloader +1

to the menu.lst

title OSX         
rootnoverify  (hd0,1)         
chainloader +1

This is a similar method I used to boot my quad-boot system for Leopard, Tiger, and XP with Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10.  I never had to specify any EFI.