Microsoft update KB5005565 and Apple RPC update break printing from macOS to a MS Windows shared printer

deeveedee

4 posts in this topic

Microsoft pushed update KB5005565 on or around 14 September 2021 to address a security vulnerability.  Unfortunately, this update can break printing from macOS (and from Windows 7 and earlier Windows OSes) to Windows shared printers.  If after 14 September 2021 you have been unable to print from macOS to a Windows shared printer, this might be your fix.

EDIT: Read below for how to address Apple update which was pushed for Big Sur 11.6 and Monterey 12.2.

1. On the Windows print server connected to the affected shared printer, confirm that MS update KB5005565 is installed (Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates).  If KB5005565 is installed, proceed to Step 2.  If it is not installed, your printing problem is not addressed by this fix.
  2. On the Windows print server connected to the affected shared printer, add the following DWORD32 to the Windows registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled = 0
  3. On the Windows print server connected to the affected shared printer, restart the Print Spooler service
  4. On the macOS client, open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and delete the affected printer
  5. On the macOS client, re-add the affected printer (Add Printer > Advanced > Type = Windows printer via spoolss ...)

You should now be able to print from macOS to your Windows shared printer.  If you still cannot print, try the following

1. On the Windows print server connected to the affected shared printer, remove MS Update KB5005565.  This is a temporary fix, but if successful, it will confirm that this MS update is causing your printing problem.
  2. On the macOS client, Reset printing system (System Preferences > Printers & Scanners) and then re-add the affected printer.  If you have other printers installed, resetting printing system will delete all printers and you will need to re-add them.

MacOS Fix:

An update to Big Sur 11.6.x and Monterey 12.2.x (not sure which updates) broke MacOS printing to Windows SMB Share.  Add the following qualifier to the SMB share path to resolve this:

?encryption=no

See here for details.

Edited by deeveedee
Added SMB fix for MacOS printing issue
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm beginning to think that the latest print problem is a MacOS issue.  After addressing the Microsoft vulnerability patches (as described above), I can now print again from Windows 7 and MacOS High Sierra, but I cannot print from Big Sur 11.6.4 (two different PCs running Big Sur 11.6.4).

EDIT: Apple did push Big Sur and Monterey updates that broke MacOS printing to Windows SMB shares (attempting to address the same PrinterNightmare issue that Microsoft addressed with its fixes).  The solution to the MacOS issue is to add the following qualifier to the SMB path for the printer

?encryption=no

See here for details.

EDIT2: The SMB Multichannel fix mentioned here speeds up printing from MacOS to Windows SMB share.

Edited by deeveedee

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure which macOS update changed this behavior, but I no longer need "?encryption=no" in the SMB URL.  I have confirmed this in Monterey 12.6 and Ventura Beta 8.  I'm not sure which macOS release changed this behavior.