InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jdrums

iMac(s) Black Screen Diagnosis

Hello all. I just recently acquired two imacs (27 and 21.5) at an auction. Neither of these iMacs currently have hard drives in them, but I attempted booting the snow leopard install dvd on both machines (just to test them out). Upon doing so I was unable to see anything (black screen from the beginning) but both macs chimed (as expected). So, I plugged in an old lcd into each of them and turned them on and loaded the install disk on both of them successfully (on the external lcd albeit). I am kind of lost as to what to do next, I really do not want to have to take it to an apple store and pay an exorbitant price, since I am somewhat comfortable repairing computers and there are numerous youtube tutorials for repairing imacs, but I do not know what is wrong with them or how to diagnose the problem. I have reset SMC on both, and I have taken the ram out and put it back in both of them. So what do you all think- Display?? I am (with my limited knowledge) guessing it is not the graphics card since I was able to run an external monitor. If anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the cause, and/or how I should go about fixing it, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Could be display (a whole assemble or some parts of it). If the external display works, then VGA card should be good (unless it is half broken - no display but external).

I don't know how VGA cards are fixed to MB in iMacs (is it soldered directly to MB or as detachable card), but if it ca be replaced with a known-to-be-working one, you could have some solid conclusions done.

On the other hand, read this who knows... I remember some time ago a member had complained on his iMac video performance troubles (VGA overheating).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Good evening to all. So, I have an external 1TB seagate HD and it always reads normally, but now when I plug it into my HACK it just does not read, it does not even appear on the disk utility. The light always turns blue from the HD without blinking. However I plugged it into windows, on a macbook and it worked normally. I already formatted my hack but it did not work. Thank you in advance for the help and sorry my bad english   my kexts: AppleALC.kext FakeSMC.kext IntelGraphicsFixup.kext IntelMausiEthernet.kext Lilu.kext WhateverGreen.kext VoodooHDA.kext USBInjectAll.kext NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext   GTX 1080 Windforce core i5 7º generation 8gb Ram H170M Plus BR    
    • WOL packet is reaching the machine from LAN and from WAN (set with port forwarding), tested with "nc -l -u 9".
    • For me the forum seems reasonably OK, except whenever I see the word 'LOADING' - like when clicking another page of a thread - when it just stops completely and never returns.   I use an adblocker, so adverts aren't slowing me down.  Browsing the forum indexes is not too bad, as is clicking to view any thread.  Ditto clicking a link in an email notification to go to a particular post in a thread.  Sometimes it takes maybe five seconds to load a page, which is a bit too long.  But it's not terrible.   But then whenever I click on any other thread page, which tries to do the in-page content load (without a full page refresh), I see LOADING and then nothing further happens, even after minutes.   It's definitely not related to which content is loaded, but rather how it is loaded.  For example if I go to the index for this forum, then click directly to page 11 of this thread, it loads in 1-5 seconds.  But if I click the link to page 11 within the thread, it never comes back.  I just see this, forever:     This stuck issue seems to me likely something broken (code or configuration?) rather than a general slowdown.  But maybe there's also a general slowdown, especially for those who are seeing adverts.
    • This is as far as I can get with the AMD kexts and the device ID added. They load but the frame buffer isn't loaded. I've tried loading all 7 frame buffers included in the X1000 kext with no luck. From the tests Gigamaxx did there seems to be more luck spoofing as Intel graphics there. More support may come from integrated Vega though, hard to tell.    
    • as documented here it is a sample rate standard and i have also tested it and i can confirm that it works with my audigy rx at least, i have to test it with other cards   https://github.com/audiojs/sample-rate