Success is soooo sweet

jimw1956

6 posts in this topic

After more than a week of efforts my emachines T5230 (AMD) is running Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway), and Snow Leopard beautifully. I got Snow working from the retail disk with the help of the excellent tutorial by Vinay. Only two small issues remain:

Leopard: For some reason, it will not run Pokerstars software. Loads and runs for a few minutes and then crashes.

Snow: Only remaining issue is that I can't get it to wake from sleep mode.

I'm sure this can be fixed. I guess my message here is "Don't Give Up". It took a few hundred reboots, quite a few complete re-installs, and a LOT of wading through post on this board, others, and Google...but it can be done if your hardware is remotely compatible.

Thanks to everyone that has put so much effort into this project and the wealth of information on this site.

After more than a week of efforts my emachines T5230 (AMD) is running Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway), and Snow Leopard beautifully. I got Snow working from the retail disk with the help of the excellent tutorial by Vinay. Only two small issues remain:

Leopard: For some reason, it will not run Pokerstars software. Loads and runs for a few minutes and then crashes.

Snow: Only remaining issue is that I can't get it to wake from sleep mode.

I'm sure this can be fixed. I guess my message here is "Don't Give Up". It took a few hundred reboots, quite a few complete re-installs, and a LOT of wading through post on this board, others, and Google...but it can be done if your hardware is remotely compatible.

Thanks to everyone that has put so much effort into this project and the wealth of information on this site.

CONGRATULATIONS

It is a pity more people didn't have your attitude re """""""It took a few hundred reboots, quite a few complete re-installs, and a LOT of wading through post on this board, others, and Google...but it can be done if your hardware is remotely compatible."""""""

Some seem to want to be spoon fed all the answers

Again congrats http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_emo...ult/biggrin.gif

CONGRATULATIONS

It is a pity more people didn't have your attitude re """""""It took a few hundred reboots, quite a few complete re-installs, and a LOT of wading through post on this board, others, and Google...but it can be done if your hardware is remotely compatible."""""""

Some seem to want to be spoon fed all the answers

Again congrats http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_emo...ult/biggrin.gif

Thanks! Just found another small issue in Snow though...menubar volume control/keyboard volume keys don't work other than to completely mute. I can live with that if I have to.

yeah it really painful when we do alot alot of reboot and alot of re-install and a few hours of googling but in the end it success with big smile on face..i just the way it work~

-Intel DX58SO / i7 / GTX260 ndvia

Well, I found out early on that just posting a "how do I fix this" on this board doesn't work too well. I was a little put off at first but I think I know why those posts generally go unanswered...basically its because someone has already put countless hours into resolving the most of the issues with osx86, and they just get tired of answering the same questions over and over when the information is already here if you just do a little research. I've found that there are very few problems that somebody else hasn't already experienced and posted information on. As I saw in someone's post here "Google is your FRIEND".

I also think that if a person is not willing to do the digging, restarting and re-installing involved, they likely will not really be satisfied with the osx86 experience in the long run anyway...they would probably be much happier with a "real" mac (of which I have many, back to the SE & SE30 days) that "just works".

Just an opinion.

Logged in to add my 0.02 to the sentments of the first poster, With ALL the THANKS going to everyone on this board for helping me enjoy the pleasure of having a complete and fully working 10.6.2 running on my Dell Studio 14z. Yes it took many reboots and wading thru many, many many posts to get to this point but had it not ben for all YOU great people I perhaps would have abandoned the project.

My setup is running from a 160Gb usb drive, everything is working , sound, wi-fi, display, mouse , trackpad, the works.

The only thing not working ( and I don't really consider this a part of my setup) is the Ricoh 8-in-1 card reader from dell. After having a hard time getting it to work, I decided to buy one that is made to work with mac. I found a Sonnet 21-in-1 for $22 (looks just like the dell and is made to work with mac, Lots of positive reviews with mac book)

My main reason for this project was to run iMovie. With everyone's help things are running smoothly and I am enjoying the best of both worlds. Boot from the usb drive and I have the glory of SL 10.6.2. in 64 bit. Boot from my internal drive and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Chose not to use on drive since I prefer to use GUID partition for SL instead of MBR.

AGAIN THANKS TO ALL