OS X 10.5.6 on INTEL DG965SS (ATTEMPTING)

roswellgreens

7 posts in this topic

Story:

well... my son (teen) asked me for a Mac. He wants to use Garage Band and Aperture as he seems to like photography a whole lot, Man Macs they are expensive, this nearly drove me to drink :blink: - *joke*. so I started thinking, anything with that Apple on it IS PRICED like gold... I fired up Google on my (provided by my employer) iPhone 3GS :D and started looking for alternatives. Knowing that I have some RAM, motherboard, case etc... just laying around somewhere in my garage - I decided to go Hackintosh, even know my plans are SNOW LEO 10.6.1 - 10.5.6 will do just fine for the time being.

Project:

Fully working 10.5.6 or 10.6.1 Hackintosh.

Hardware:

• Motherboard: Intel DG965SS
  • Processor: Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Dual-Core Processor
  • RAM: 2GB (1GB DDR2 667 + 1GB DDR2 533)
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA 8800GT 1024MB
  • Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 500GB SATA II
  • DVD-ROM: SAMSUNG IDE DVD-ROM
  • DVD-BURNER: LG External LightScribe USB 2.0 GSA-E60L
  • EXTRA PCI CARDS: NEC D720101GJ USB 2.0 5+1-Port PCI Card
  • BLUETOOTH: Cheap bluetooth module from eBay
  • Monitor: Gateway FPD 2275W LCD display - TFT - 22" - widescreen - 1680 x 1050 / 60 Hz
  • Mouse: Microsoft laser Mouse 6000
  • WIFI N: Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter - Chipset RTL2870
  • WIFI G: Realtek 8185L Extensible 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Device
  • Keyboard: Logitech G11 Game Keyboard, with drivers, key-mapping software, volume, etc.
  • Original OS used: Linux
  • OS Intended: iPC 10.5.6 - Mac OS X 10.5.6 then upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 upon performance and compatibility. (I also purchased 10.6 at the store, for peace of mind :rolleyes: )

• Speakers: 2.1 Stereo Satellites with Subwoofer.

I'll be posting progress results, I will be needing help for sure... :D !

Story:

well... my son (teen) asked me for a Mac. He wants to use Garage Band and Aperture as he seems to like photography a whole lot, Man Macs they are expensive, this nearly drove me to drink ;) - *joke*. so I started thinking, anything with that Apple on it IS PRICED like gold... I fired up Google on my (provided by my employer) iPhone 3GS :) and started looking for alternatives. Knowing that I have some RAM, motherboard, case etc... just laying around somewhere in my garage - I decided to go Hackintosh, even know my plans are SNOW LEO 10.6.1 - 10.5.6 will do just fine for the time being.

Project:

Hardware:

• Monitor: Gateway FPD 2275W LCD display - TFT - 22" - widescreen - 1680 x 1050 / 60 Hz
  • Keyboard: Logitech G11 Game Keyboard, with drivers, key-mapping software, volume, etc.
  • OS Intended: iPC 10.5.6 - Mac OS X 10.5.6 then upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 upon performance and compatibility. (I also purchased 10.6 at the store, for peace of mind :ninja: )

I'll be posting progress results, I will be needing help for sure... :P !

---

Friday Oct. 16th 2009

Ok. I'm on the attempt #12 with iPC in the search of better performance, Everything seems to work but I forgot to select the seatbelt and shutdown fix which are a MOST, right now I need some sleep.... I'll post detailed results...

GREAT NEWS - Everything seems to be working GREAT... 10 Hours straight and EVERYTHING WORKS!, sound wireless, video, network, etc... I'm working now on Restart and ShutDown which are still giving me some stress. speed wise all is A-1-OK!... will keep posting results and when I'm done I will post a guide for whoever needs it.

Roswell.

Story:

well... my son (teen) asked me for a Mac. He wants to use Garage Band and Aperture as he seems to like photography a whole lot, Man Macs they are expensive, this nearly drove me to drink :D - *joke*. so I started thinking, anything with that Apple on it IS PRICED like gold... I fired up Google on my (provided by my employer) iPhone 3GS :D and started looking for alternatives. Knowing that I have some RAM, motherboard, case etc... just laying around somewhere in my garage - I decided to go Hackintosh, even know my plans are SNOW LEO 10.6.1 - 10.5.6 will do just fine for the time being.

Project:

Hardware:

• OS Intended: iPC 10.5.6 - Mac OS X 10.5.6 then upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 upon performance and compatibility. (I also purchased 10.6 at the store, for peace of mind ;) )

Almost done.... very usable though!.... :rolleyes::):unsure::)

- iPC 10.5.6 on Intel DG965ss:

Choose ONLY THESE from the setup on iPC 10.5.6

- - Kernel: 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

- - Video: NVdarwin 1024 (this is my nvidia video card, dont use on-board video, it sucks on OS X, USE a PCI-E video card and select your drivers)

- - Chipset: Intel ICH10 SATA support (better performance than ICH8, dont use ICH8)

- - Audio: Sigmatel 9227 (Perfect, everything works)

- - Ethernet: Intel82566MM/DC, perfect

- - Wireless: Use whatever driver for your device, I have BCM94321MC Mini PCI-E on a PCI adapter and it is recognized as Airport without a single glitch or driver needed.

- - Pathches: Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 and Shutdown/Restart Fix ONLY!

- - Applications: EFI Studio, OSx86 Tools Utility, Kext Helper B7, Perian, Pacifist (for future fixes and to avoid re-install)

- Skip DVD verification, wait for the installer to finish and re-start, DO NOT REMOVE THE DVD FROM THE DRIVE YET, you will be then welcome with the Really cool "WELCOME" in many languages and then to setup... this config worked for me perfectly... some problems though as I have come to realize.

1. I can't boot from bootloader, it just vanished, I might have to install Chameleon 2.0 Manually since the 1.x or EFI seemed not to work, I'll be posting results. I just leave the iPC 10.5.6 DVD in the drive and wait without touching anything, that will do for the time being until I can get some sleep -

2. Sleep does not work either, I mean, it goes to sleep but IT DOES NOT WAKE UP!!! :) creepy. lol!.

3. Shut Down does not work either, I'm getting Kernel Panic... restart DOES work so that will do for the time being. I restart and when I see the Intel sign upon reboot I press the Power Button and gone.

.... I will be posting attempts and results tomorrow, meanwhile, whoever can help me with these three issues, PLEASE DO! :)

Roswell.

P.S. Garage Band ROCKS!!!, I have installed iLife 09, iWork09, Adobe CS4, Aperture and Office 2008... ALL WORKING GREAT! no lags, no crashes, nothing wierd... :)

Just installed Chameleon 2.0RC3... no need for the iPC 10.5.6 DVD to boot my rig anymore. Still fighting the shutdown and sleep though... will keep posting (that is when my son lets me or goes to sleep cos now he got some Mac friends over they're all here hating and arguing about 'real macs are better and what-not' :):):):) - NO THEY ARE NOT!, Hackintosh rules and is CHEAP!!!!

Story:

well... my son (teen) asked me for a Mac. He wants to use Garage Band and Aperture as he seems to like photography a whole lot, Man Macs they are expensive, this nearly drove me to drink :) - *joke*. so I started thinking, anything with that Apple on it IS PRICED like gold... I fired up Google on my (provided by my employer) iPhone 3GS :D and started looking for alternatives. Knowing that I have some RAM, motherboard, case etc... just laying around somewhere in my garage - I decided to go Hackintosh, even know my plans are SNOW LEO 10.6.1 - 10.5.6 will do just fine for the time being.

Project:

Hardware:

• OS Intended: iPC 10.5.6 - Mac OS X 10.5.6 then upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 upon performance and compatibility. (I also purchased 10.6 at the store, for peace of mind :D )

Just installed Chameleon 2.0RC3... no need for the iPC 10.5.6 DVD to boot my rig anymore. Still fighting the shutdown and sleep though... will keep posting (that is when my son lets me or goes to sleep cos now he got some Mac friends over they're all here hating and arguing about 'real macs are better and what-not' :):P:):) - NO THEY ARE NOT!, Hackintosh rules and is CHEAP!!!!

Do you use a VGA display with the VGA out of the Graphics Card, or do you use DVI somewhere?

I need to get my 8600 GT working with the VGA out and need to connect it to a VGA display. Please help