AD1988 (Rampage Formula) Snow Leopard

GeForce 8800

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I recently installed Snow Leopard on my system. The install went fine but there is one problem, audio.

(I use Chameleon RC1 and PC_EFI 10.1 together with fakesmc.kext, openHaltRestart.kext and ApplePIIXATA.kext. Also a modified boot.plist (EFI string for graphics))

Motherboard specs:

Intel X48 - ICH9R

ASUS BIOS 0410

Marvell Yukon 88E8056 (Ethernet - works with modified IONetworkFamily.kext for Snow)

Analog Devices AD1988 - My sound setup: Logitech X-540 (5.1 surround set) connected with 3.5mm plug (you know green and green, black and black, orange and orange) (analog connection (for clarity))

So what did I tried so far:

Using voodooHDA - No change at all!!! (still nothing in preferences (he doesn't recongnise any audio device))

Using modified DSDT.aml with AD1988.fix.kext - No change at all!!! (source for the fix: This and This )

I also tried something with "Archivo" (or something like that) - No change at all!!!

I can't boot in 32 bit for some odd reason but Snow runs very stable in 64 bit. The only issue is the sound. I also have a Leopard 10.5.6 installation, sound works great there with the AD1988b_rev3_installer (doesn't work under Snow)

So if anyone knows a solution please let me know, it's the little step for a perfect Mac Machine. ;)

Grtz

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I recently installed Snow Leopard on my system. The install went fine but there is one problem, audio.

(I use Chameleon RC1 and PC_EFI 10.1 together with fakesmc.kext, openHaltRestart.kext and ApplePIIXATA.kext. Also a modified boot.plist (EFI string for graphics))

Motherboard specs:

Intel X48 - ICH9R

ASUS BIOS 0410

Marvell Yukon 88E8056 (Ethernet - works with modified IONetworkFamily.kext for Snow)

Analog Devices AD1988 - My sound setup: Logitech X-540 (5.1 surround set) connected with 3.5mm plug (you know green and green, black and black, orange and orange) (analog connection (for clarity))

So what did I tried so far:

Using voodooHDA - No change at all!!! (still nothing in preferences (he doesn't recongnise any audio device))

Using modified DSDT.aml with AD1988.fix.kext - No change at all!!! (source for the fix: This and This )

I also tried something with "Archivo" (or something like that) - No change at all!!!

I can't boot in 32 bit for some odd reason but Snow runs very stable in 64 bit. The only issue is the sound. I also have a Leopard 10.5.6 installation, sound works great there with the AD1988b_rev3_installer (doesn't work under Snow)

So if anyone knows a solution please let me know, it's the little step for a perfect Mac Machine. ;)

Grtz

Hi, can you upload the boot CD who you use to install SL? I have a Asus Formula Rampage too and this boot CD will help me a lot! Thanks!!

I use a USB with stuff that I mentioned above. You can find a guide in this forum for installing Snow Leopard with a USB. It's really not that hard:

-Format your USB (HFS+), Mac Journaled or something

-Install Chameleon on it (choose version that you want to use)

-Format your HHD (where you are going to install SL) in 2 partitions (one for Snow Leopard itself and one for the Snow Leopard installation (restore the retail SL DVD to that partition))

-then boot up with the correct .kext's in your extra/extensions folder on your USB (Boot the installer first off course)

-Install Snow Leopard

-Reboot in your partition where you installed Snow Leopard

You need the search a bit the find the correct .kext's but you'll be up in no-time. The only problem remains the sound. :)

If anyone knows a solution please let me know! Any help is much appreciated!!!

Grtz

hi, I have a Asus P5B which has a AD1988.

It works "ok" with voodooHDA 0.2.2 in 32/64 mode

"ok" meaning that I get sound, volume control.. but also a lot of statics when no music is played.

thinking about getting a cheap USB sound adapter...

Note that using Azalia sound output was working fine under leopard.