Black/Blank screen after Apple logo

thrawnis

6 posts in this topic

Problem:

I installed OSX Leopard (iAtkos v1.0) on a freshly formatted HD. Everything went smoothly as far as Darwin setup, partition and erase/format to HFS+, and install of OSX itself. The first boot worked beautifully with EVERY device working perfectly without any extra effort. I just wandered around and changed a couple minor settings. After a little while (15 mins or so), I shut down my laptop.

When I started back up, OSX seemed to start properly except that after the gray/white Apple logo screen with the animated spinning circle, it showed the bluish screen for only a couple seconds, then everything on my screen goes completely black. It seems as though the LCD was shut off, but the computer itself continues to run because the power light is on, the hard drive seems to be blinking occassionally, and the Wifi light is on. No matter how long I leave the laptop on (5 mins all the way up to 2 hours), it stays solid black.

Things I have tried:

1. Full re-install 3 times now with the same result. The first boot always works perfectly but every subsequent boot has a black screen.

2. Used -x in Darwin on boot and I have the same result.

3. Used -v in Darwin on boot and nothing looks out of the ordinary

4. Used "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60" in Darwin on boot in hopes to override the res in case something was wrong there and I had the same problem.

Specs:

Vostro 1400

14" LCD, 1440x900 native res

Intel Core 2 8100

2gb RAM

160gb 7200rpm HD

Intel X3100 integrated graphics

Pre Wireless-N card

My background:

I am an expert with Windows (any version since 3.1) but only somewhat familiar with OSX. All this hackintosh stuff is fairly new to me although I have tried and failed at getting JAS 10.4.8 to work with a previous laptop. I specifically purchased this laptop with the regular X3100 graphics card in hopes that OSX Leopard would work properly.

Please help! I would really like to transition completely to OSX and just run VMWare for WinXP but if I can't get OSX to work, I will have to switch back to WinXP :( .

Thanks!!

Problem:

I installed OSX Leopard (iAtkos v1.0) on a freshly formatted HD. Everything went smoothly as far as Darwin setup, partition and erase/format to HFS+, and install of OSX itself. The first boot worked beautifully with EVERY device working perfectly without any extra effort. I just wandered around and changed a couple minor settings. After a little while (15 mins or so), I shut down my laptop.

When I started back up, OSX seemed to start properly except that after the gray/white Apple logo screen with the animated spinning circle, it showed the bluish screen for only a couple seconds, then everything on my screen goes completely black. It seems as though the LCD was shut off, but the computer itself continues to run because the power light is on, the hard drive seems to be blinking occassionally, and the Wifi light is on. No matter how long I leave the laptop on (5 mins all the way up to 2 hours), it stays solid black.

Things I have tried:

1. Full re-install 3 times now with the same result. The first boot always works perfectly but every subsequent boot has a black screen.

2. Used -x in Darwin on boot and I have the same result.

3. Used -v in Darwin on boot and nothing looks out of the ordinary

4. Used "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60" in Darwin on boot in hopes to override the res in case something was wrong there and I had the same problem.

Specs:

Vostro 1400

14" LCD, 1440x900 native res

Intel Core 2 8100

2gb RAM

160gb 7200rpm HD

Intel X3100 integrated graphics

Pre Wireless-N card

My background:

I am an expert with Windows (any version since 3.1) but only somewhat familiar with OSX. All this hackintosh stuff is fairly new to me although I have tried and failed at getting JAS 10.4.8 to work with a previous laptop. I specifically purchased this laptop with the regular X3100 graphics card in hopes that OSX Leopard would work properly.

Please help! I would really like to transition completely to OSX and just run VMWare for WinXP but if I can't get OSX to work, I will have to switch back to WinXP ^_^ .

Thanks!!

You've already tried most of the things I would have suggested.

It does sound like a graphics card problem, but I know some people have had problems with laptop screens.

If you have an external monitor try connecting that and see what happens.

If you boot up with that then you need to look into fix for internel lcd.

If you get same result I would boot up with dvd and try removing all kexts related to your graphics.

You've already tried most of the things I would have suggested.

It does sound like a graphics card problem, but I know some people have had problems with laptop screens.

If you have an external monitor try connecting that and see what happens.

If you boot up with that then you need to look into fix for internel lcd.

If you get same result I would boot up with dvd and try removing all kexts related to your graphics.

Thanks for the response.

I have tried an external monitor. When I plug it in, OSX recognizes it and displays an extended desktop, as if I had a dual-monitor setup. The little Mac menu bar/strip thing at the top does not show up on the second monitor.

Not installing the graphics kexts seems like a good start though although I would think that the video wouldn't display on the first boot if that were the problem. However, I have nothing else to go on at this point...

I will report back shortly. If anyone else has any additional tips/suggestions, please provide them!

Thanks for the response.

I have tried an external monitor. When I plug it in, OSX recognizes it and displays an extended desktop, as if I had a dual-monitor setup. The little Mac menu bar/strip thing at the top does not show up on the second monitor.

Not installing the graphics kexts seems like a good start though although I would think that the video wouldn't display on the first boot if that were the problem. However, I have nothing else to go on at this point...

I will report back shortly. If anyone else has any additional tips/suggestions, please provide them!

found this for you

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t71784.html

Thanks for the link! I have been searching for some time and that thread is definitely new to me.

FYI, regarding my post from a couple days ago. I attempted to install iAtkos v1.0 without the X3100 drivers. It installed fine but after I restarted, it would get stuck at the gray/white Apple logo screen with the spinning circle indicator. No matter how many times I restarted or tried to use -x, it never went further than this. I guess I might have to try a different distribution if the link above doesn't work out.

• 6 years later...

I have a Dell D820 GM945 core duo 3gb ddr Samsung EVO 840 SSD 120 I installed 10.6.3 numerous times with different configs. I also have used nearly every boot flag there is. But when this thing boots after the logo it wants to go to the external vga port. I have internal port set in the bios but it still does it. That being said, after I connect an external monitor and do the display switch dance it finally goes to the internal monitor and all is well. However on cold boot or restart it all starts again. I've worked on this project for 5 weeks and so far I have it at 10.6.8 no networking but I have sound and all keyboard functions.

I just can't figure out the monitor part.