3 NICs and no eth0, or any eth*

Moonmaster

2 posts in this topic

Hello all, with the help of the OSX86 community and these forums, I have finally managed to get my system booting to 10.5.2 - with NEARLY everything working; video, audio, everything works fine - except networking.

I have three different kinds of network devices I have been trying; however, I think the problem is not related to my network card drivers, but the fact that it seems that none of these devices are being detected by the system; there is no evidence of any ethernet device, be it eth0 or any other, detected by my machine. Now, I will say that 2 of these devices almost surely do not have drivers, and the one I have been working with may or may not work from what I have read. My question is this: I have no problem buying another NIC, but is a supported NIC my problem here? In other words, should i see an eth0 device, even if I have not put any device drivers in yet? I don't want to go out buying a new card, just to find out that there is still no eth0 device detected. Thanks for any help!

Just for reference, the three devices I have been working with are my D-Link DWL-520 802.11b card (havent seen any drivers for this), a TrendNET 229UB 802.11b USB adapter (same deal), and the built in ethernet on my MSI P6N-SLI board, which uses nForce4 (I have been working with the forcedeth nForce4 drivers here, although I haven't seen anyone get this driver working with this mobo)

On Mac OS there is no ethX, ther are enx, en0 should be the first Ethernet Card, and normally Airport is en1.

Check the WIKI for compatible cards.

type "ifconfig" on terminal to see your interfases or check /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist