want my nVidia 8600 GT to work...

emotional friend

4 posts in this topic

Been struggling about six hours so far trying to figure out this nvidia stuff in Kalyway 10.5.1.

Initially, video was limited to 1024 X 768. Then I installed the nvinject via the nvinstaller, now I can change resolutions in the displays control panel, but it just goes to blue screen and I have to push the reset button. Have to then boot with -x to get to the desktop again.

Searching google and forums for stuff like 8600 GT Kalyway nvinject, etc, yeilds a boggling array of posts, but none offer an explanation of what kexts I specifically need to edit and how I need to edit them.

I know my device ID is: 0x0421

I know my VRAM is 512 mb

But what plist files I need to edit and what lines I need to edit are a mystery. Anybody have a good tutorial you can point me at?

Appreciatively,

di11rod

Fixed this issue. Did a lot of forum searching and found that connecting my monitor to the VGA port was a problem. Nvinject .41 did the right thing and my vram shows correctly as 512mb in the system profiler. After connecting the dvi adapter to the other port on the video card, it works fine now. Quartz Extreme, Core Image, everything!

Emotional Friend

• 4 months later...

THANK YOU!

Wow! What a relief to finally get my XFX 86OO GT running properly. I too have been all over these forums until I stumbled across your explanation here. Funny how it turned out to be something so simple. Had I simply unplugged my VGA cable I could have saved myself hours and hours of building, and rebuilding 10.5.2.

Live and Learn.icon10.gif

Anyways... thanks again.

• 2 months later...