HowTo install Kalyway 10.5.1 on Dell Dimension E510

Mark K

32 posts in this topic

Not sure if this thread is still active, but I have a few problems with the NETWORKING portion:

When I try your steps, I complete them all. When I reboot and try to go to :

Sys. > Network --- the Networking page freezes and i have to force close it. I've left it open for several hours but to no avail.

I don't know how to determine if the ethernet is being seen, so can someone please tell me? When I was able to view the networkling thing, all the options were grey'd out and red said Failed Connection or something like that.

I really would like to connect to the internet on this new machine! :(

Thankss.

• 6 months later...

:D

Got it all working perfect

ideneb light 10.5.8 go to movie "pirates of the Caribbean " for the treasure ;) wink wink

use 9.5 voodoo

use ichx chipset

and nothing else!!!!!!

after install do apple hda patcher 1.2 with sigmatel 9200.txt >>> sound

purchase ($15 dollars at frys) trendnet USB to 10/100 ethernet (yes it comes with osx drivers disk) >>> ethernet

video i have the ati hd2600 installed no drivers and have 1024 x 768 >>>>very happy!!!

after a week of fishing sites im happy to report a perfect working leo install 10.5.8 .

i installed little snitch instead of seatbelt fix to avoid any panic mishaps :)

:)

• 2 weeks later...
I was able to get the ATI Radeon X300 working with Callisto build 006.

I have 2 disks

1) Windows XP

2) Mac OS X with GUID.

Could someone please help me with dual boot?

Thanks

Hi - I have the same setup as yours, and I'm trying the onboard card. It works, but I still only have 1024 available. What is the "Callisto build 006" you spoke of. Did that give you greater than 1024?

Thanks

Mark - you rock man! All your instructions worked perfectly when I was about to give up.

One last thing I haven't been able to get though. I followed your instructions to get rid of the PCI video card so it would use on-board. It did, but I'm still stuck with 1024x768 as only option. How do I get the resolution options you did on yours?

• 3 weeks later...

Great tutorial. I followed it and got up to the point where it loops endlessly asking what keyboard is attached. Your posting suggested:

/sbin/mount -uw / (i press enter)

passwd root (i didn't get this part, there is no command named passwd)

touch /var/db/ .AppleSetupDone (it gave me the message read-only file system)

where do i put in my root password?

OK, I guess the cardinal rule of following a tried and true tutorial is to read the entire thing. Kalyway 10.5.1 works now on my Dell E510.

Yes put it in GUID using the Option button underneath the graphic for partition allocation.

Yes the check mark for GUID will be selected.

Yes you must put in a password for root, just leaving it blank will get you nowhere (as I have found out).

Yes put a password for the administrator also.

I didn't, however, go the route of touch /var/db/ .AppleSetupDone. Instead I lowered the resolution to force it to put me on the desktop.

Yes do all the follow-ups that Mark K has posted in regards to the sound, and the NIC.

After all that, desktop tweaks abound as I found out Kalyway went out of his/her way to put their touches on Leopard.

Thank you Mark K and everyone else who is contributing!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, Im trying to install ideneb v1.6 on my dell e510. I am using the onboard video card but the installation hangs at apple logo screen. There is no spinning sign and the the dvd drive doesn't run while the screen hangs.

I heard that you can patch the iso with md5. Do I do this when I burn the file or is it after the installation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard on my computer, but now I am running into a bit of a problem. I would like to use my wireless PCI card to gain access to the internet, the card is not being recognized by the OS. I cannot find it in the system profiler. The card is a Linksys card WMP54G and it uses the ralink rt2500 chipset. I installed the proper drivers listed on their site, but the program for connecting to networks included with the drivers does not recognize that the card is attached. Do I need a kext for my Motherboard, or PCI Card? How can I get this card working?