Help with Dlink dwl-g510 revb card (turn on)

drwhosc

4 posts in this topic

Ok others hav egotten this card to work. I got it installed. Used the atheros5425.kext. I set the eno -> en1, and the card will not turn on.

I am getting some issued in KIO.kext, and that might be my issue. the message is telling me there is a unrecognized symbol.

Would love some help on this one. It is stumping me. I did learn a good about about running extensions. and apple with a closed system does not need to trouble shoot, so in that respect, PC is better.

thanks

• 5 months later...

I am also getting the same issue. itt detects the DWL-G510 inin sys. prefs. and has the airport icon in the statusbar but it says its off..

the strange thing is, that if i open safari it will say im not connected to the internt, i goto diiagnostics and run through the wizard and it says my airport is off, i click the on box and hit continue and it lets me login to my wireless network.. as long as i do not trry to change any of the network prefs it will remain connected...

any ideas not to make this more stable.. for install i used the OI80211 kext and did the en0 to en1 fix

Guest BuildSmart

Why do people with issues not provide intelligent information that can be used to help them resolve the issue properly.

Information like installed OS version, details about their wireless card (ID's) and what they have tried.

If you have 10.5 then installing any 10.4 Atheros extension was an idiot move despite the instructions anyone gave you claiming it's a perfect working solution.

I have made this card work in 10.4 and 10.5 without too much difficulty, editing the info.plist file is usually enough, on occasion after running Vista you need to do the Safari diagnostic trick to re-enable a card that Vista has disabled but that is usually the extent of it.

KIO.kext has nothing to do with wireless so it must be somehting you installed because it's not normally provided in 10.4 or 10.5.

Depending on your DWL-G510, you may have the version that has a miniPCI card on an adapter card then this card is a good candidate for swapping in the HP DW1470 802.11a/b/g card and rebranding with apple subsystem ID's 0x106b, 0x0087 and making your own real AirPort card.

You can identify this type of card because if you remove the 2 screws holding the rear bracket it also allows you to remove the cover plate since it is being held on by those two screws.

The DW1470 is Broadcom based but is the exact chipset used in the apple card and can be bought on fleabay for roughly $10.00 so the investment to turn it into a real AirPort card is worth the $10.00 and it will still work in windows and will give you a backup b/g card or one you can sell to recover your expenses for the new card.

If it's not, rebranding as a b/g AirPort card still has merit and the method is still the same as if rebranding any other Atheros based card, just the subsystem ID's will be 0x106b, 0x004e (subsystem vendor, subsystem product).

You can search other posts here for more information on rebranding your card and hopefully soon a tutorial will be available to walk you through the process (no guarantees on a tutorial).

Rules are simple, a good Atheros candidate card will have ID's of 0x168c, 0x0013 and for subsystem ID's, an a/b/g card uses 0x106b, 0x0086, other Atheros candiate cards will work provided they use the correct chipset and these can usually be found by looking in the Info.plist file to see what ID's apple uses.

A good Broadcom candidate card will have ID's of 0x14e4, 0x4320 and for subsystem ID's, a b/g card uses 0x106b, 0x004e and an a/b/g card uses 0x106b, 0x0087, other Broadcom candiate cards will work provided they use the correct chipset (compaq's a/b/g bcm4311 card uses 0x14e4, 0x4312 is also a good choice).