How to: Install D-Link DL538 TX in 10.5.1

obs0lete

6 posts in this topic

I've been getting a lot of people asking me how I've installed this card on my Leopard install (Kalyway's 10.5.1) so I figured I'd write up a little how-to. It's very straight forward and easy.

A few notes...

I've only tested this method with a D-Link DL538TX card, although it should work with pretty much any card with a Via Rhine chipset. I originally had this card working flawlessly on an older 10.4.10 build but when upgrading to Leopard, the card was not detected at all. This ViaRhine.kext file was taken from tubgirl's 10.4.10 release.

1. Download the ViaRhine.zip file I've attached here and extract it somewhere.

2. Download kexthelper b7, which can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=54098

3. Launch kexthelper and drag the ViaRhine.kext file into the empty space in kepthelper. Enter your Admin account password at the bottom where it says password.

4. Click the "Easy Install" button. You can also click on Advanced to see an output of what is going on behind the scenes.

5. You should now get a message that says something along the lines of "kext installed, looks good, reboot and cross your fingers" Reboot :huh:

6. Once your machine i rebooted, go to your System Preferences and click the Network icon, you should now see "Ethernet" listed there.

You may automatically get an IP address or not. If you do have an IP and there's a green icon next to "Ethernet", try launching your web browser. If all is good you should load your default home page. IF not, then read on...

1. Highlight "Ethernet" and click "Advanced" at the bottom.

2. Click on the TCP/IP Tab. You shold set "Configure IPv4" to "Using DHCP with manual address" and enter in an IP address within your routers range, in my case, 192.168.1.100. Click OK.

3. Click the Advanced button again and go to the TCP/IP tab again. This time, select "Using DHCP" and then click on the "Renew DHCP" button. You should get all you settings auto-populate themselves. Now click on and you're done! You shuold now have a working internet connection!

ViaRhine.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the guide. On-board and SMC9432TX weren't detected by OSX. It works great for my D-Link DFE-530TX+ version 6 for now. Still need to test out the speed and if any drop out. Thanks again! :D

• 2 weeks later...