10.4.11 on AMD

thegodfaza

87 posts in this topic

ok... so after a few tests using barn's script i got a fully working 10.4.11 with absolutely no errors!

1. Barn's script has only one problem some Applications & Utilities are not installing where they should, some Applications are put inside /Applications/Applications an some Utilities are put inside /Applications/Applications/Utilities

2. I saw no problem with those applications so i deleted them all except Safari 3 whom i moved where it should have ben all along /Applications

3. Now after the update we all have 3 major problems:

a. About This Mac - crashes

b. System Profiler - crashes

c. iTunes Prefferences - crashes

Now here are the steps i used to repair these problems:

IMPORTANT NOTE i backed up my original kernel just to be sure so you can do that by doing this:

step 1. open terminal do "sudo -s" enter your password

step 2. go to the root of the disk then "cp -R mach_kernel mach_kernel_old"

step 3. install the patched files for 10.4.11 do the steps described below and reboot if the system doesnt boot you can try to boot with this argument "mach_kernel_old"

step 4. if you succeded in booting with "mach_kernel_old" then do this open terminal do "sudo -s" enter your password, go to the root of the disk and "rm -rf mach_kernel" then "cp -R mach_kernel_old mach_kernel"

-------------------

a. About This Mac - open the original DVD used to install the system (in my case JaS 10.4.8) with Pacifist go to the AMD package find the loginwindow.app right click "Install to default location" entered the Administyrator password and moved on

b. Downloaded SPPlatformReporter then added it to /System/Library/System Profiler/

c. iTunes - open the original DVD used to install the system (in my case JaS 10.4.8) with Pacifist go to the AMD package go to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ then right click CarbonCore.framework select "Install To Default Location"

d. Do a Repair Disk Permissions from Disk Utility

e. Your done try to reboot to see what you have accomplished

i have some ideas but i need some help from someone who knows how to build an install package!!!

Ok people so it seems no one offered to help.. no problem i managed myself you just need to download this Install Package 10.4.11.AMD.Repair run it do a Repair Permissions and you should be just fine...

I tested the package on my system it works 100% hope it works for yoy to if not tell me what kind of problems are you having with the package and we will try to fix them..

i need some feedback so please tell me if this works for you or not... Thank you

I just tried the update & I think i'm hosed. Tried going from tubgirl 10.4.10 to 10.4.11. Followed the directions, rebooted and now:

Not a single app works. I get "An unecpected error occured (error code -10910)"

Dock is missing

nothing shows up on left side of finder

can't run terminal

can't run Marvin's util

Is there any hope? Or am I screwed?

I followed Barns' guide in post #62

It looks like I may be having the same issues you did. Like a tard, the first thing I did after reboot was try "about this mac". I have a hunch that may have messed things up. I printed out the guide the other day & found your post today, after my problems. ;)

Unfortunatley I'm at work & trying this remotley & now it wont even reboot. When I get home I'll try a reboot & the steps you have listed. Hopefully that'll get me back on track.

Well, I got home & put in my tubgirl disc. It wouldn't even see it. I had no option but to reboot.

I came to login.... It WORKS!! :thumbsup_anim: It must not have done a complete reboot earlier.

Itunes works

About This Mac works

System Profiler = broken == Fixed with your notes Ion. Thanks!

I moved over all the misplaced apps that showed up in \applications\applications & the utilities. Safari 3 works, it broke Mail & who knows what else. I just opened mail.pkg with Installer & reinstalled it, Mail is back. I got most of the broken apps fixed now.

I can't seem to get these fixed:

Dictionary = I tried reinstalling OxfordDictionaries.pkg, but that didn't work.

Calculator = I can't find the pkg for it. I can use the dashboard widget, but under applications\calculator, it does not work

Any idea how to reinstall Dictionary & Calculator? I think after that, I'm all good.

Looks like Vineserver is messed up too. It let me connect once & that's it.

ill tell you what it broke mail, possibly installer, calculator, dictionary, bluetooth, ok so if u want to reinstall some of the apps yo have to open the install DVD with pacifist find the apps you need right click and install to default location after you install what u need do a permissions repair and then reboot that should work for you.

Still no luck getting Dictionary & Calculator working.

Also, it seems like applescript is broken. I have a few programs that fail to launch and give an applescript error 4049 or something like that.

I think at this point, I'm looking at a rebuild so I'm going to waith and try Zepheryoth's new Leo disc

• 3 months later...
Ok here's my way explained in more detail and it's quite easy though:

01) Download the 10.4.11 Update DMG from Apple's Site.

02) Mount it and put the Installer on your Desktop

03) Open it in Pacifist

04) Select the Top Root Element and press the "Extract" Button in the toolbar

05) Let pacifist extract all the files

06) Open up Marvin's AMD Patcher and select the extracted directory and use the last Radiobox (Search & Patch) as setting. Wait for it to patch all the files

07) Get my Installer-Script here: http://www.box.net/shared/k78g3q6qu2

08) Place it in the root-directory next to the fodlers (System, Library, bin etc.)

09) Open up the Terminal and type "cd " then drag the folder from the desktop to the terminal window so it inserts it's path

09.5) edit: Sorry forgot that: Make it executeable by typing "chmod +x ./wbg_10411_installer.sh" and press enter

10) Press enter and type "sudo ./wbg_10411_installer.sh" and press enter once more. Now type in your password and follow the instructions

11) The Script will now install all new Files but not a single kext. So you shouldn't need to backup them.

12) Fire up Diskutil and repair the permissions. Typing "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" in the Termianl should also work.

13) Make a reboot and hope for it to work out

By this method I managed to install the upgrade very well. Good luck guys :D

In case I delete the script once here's the content:

#!/bin/bash
echo "10.4.11 Installer for Tubgirl's AMD Release"
echo "(c) 2007 by HChKn"
echo ""
echo "Make sure this script is located in the extracted dir"
echo "and already patched with Marvin's AMD Patcher."
echo "Continue? Press any key"
read
echo "Installing Apps"
cp -R ./Applications/* /Applications/
echo "Installing Libs"
cp -R ./Library/* /Library/
echo "Modding the System Dir (aka deleting dangerous stuff)"
cd ./System/Library/
rm -R Extensions
rm -R Components
rm -R FileSystems
echo "Installing the good System Stuff"
cp -R ./* /System/Library/
echo "Well, that's it. Have fun, dude!"
read

thanx, worked great!

EDIT:

opps now my quicktime basic compression settings don't work! bummer dude. . .

• 2 weeks later...