nforce 680i information on install

The Reepr

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I have partiallly successfully installed osx on my pc with the following specs:

nforce 680i SE SLI (stock Superclocked)

geforce 8800 GTS 320MB

2 GB corsair ram

80 GB western digital IDE HDD

E6600 (2.4 gHz Stock clock)

Here's my story:

First off this guide is not complete becuase my installed version did not boot, well it booted then came up as please reboot your mac. IDK. IF you do lemme know and I'll fix this part.And I need help on that as well

I've installed OS X before on my old dell (optiplex 260?) with the JaS 10.4.6 image without any problems whatsoever. I figured great now I have a new PC, easy install with my old JaS disc, and It'll be a lot faster now. NOPE. Here's a little guide from what I experienced. It may be my problems only, but I'm sure there's someone scratching their head just like I was a day or 2 a go

Here's what to do to be successful Hopefully

-IDE only It may only be my mobo, but OS X flipped out and crashed when I told it to format my sata drive

-Set it so your bios sees the HDD(and by that I mean when you boot, your bios sees the HDD) (blue IDE socket on the 680i) I had to pull out all jumpers (little plastic pieces on the back of it) and put it on the slave (first plug on the ribbon closest to the plug in the mobo) It'll only allow one HDD at a time or it won't see any. Make sure nothing else is plugged in to the IDE ribbon.

-Download either uphuck or mac.nub's image. It has the patched kernel for the nforce mobos and runs. JaS images reboot after loading the kernel which I think is basically a kernel panic.(tell me if I'm wrong)

-Use diskUtility. It is your savior. Install intructions in a bit.

-If you only have one HDD, make sure you have the following if your replcing windows/linux, a copy of the install disk for the OS, and a Gparted or magicparted live boot disk (make sure it works) You may need it if OS X decides to corrupt your boot Record.

-Have fun! :blink:

Installing The Tiger Inside:

1. Aquire and burn the ISO

-Either Mac.Nub's newest(V1 R5 as of 11/3/07) or Uphuck (DOn't remember) wil work on the nforce 680i

-I used Deepburner on max burn speed (don't yell everyone, I took a chance but these are exctly the steps I took)

-Label it exactly what it is (not just OSX or Tiger)

2. Plug in the HDD

3. Boot to the disc (esc on the nvidia, f12 on dells ask and we can let you know)

4. Hit f8 when the first installer screen comes up (It'll say darwin x86) then type -v for verbose mode which basically means I'm not an idiot, tell me what's going on while you do it

-It'll load for a while

-if you get an ebios error then

-Bad burn/Disc?

-Try a different kernel

-If it reboots before you get to anything graphical, It's a bad kernel for your machine. Get a different one.

5. Select your language and let it load until you get an apple bar on the top of your screen (silver with drop down menus) Then click utilities, then disk utility let it load

6. select your HDD on the left hand side, then select partition tab on the right. I selected one partiton, and then click options IMPORTANT DO THIS !!!!!! select MBR (master boot record) or your install will not boot, found it out the hard way.

7. click format or whatever it says, partition or something like that

-If it just goes to the apple and you don'e see a progress bar ont he bottom of the window then restart and switch your IDE config around util it works.

8. After that close disk utility, then install your patches and stuff, then install and reboot. Simple!

Picking drivers, I need help with.

AND

I really need help picking a kernel cuz mine errors out as soon as I boot into Tiger. What kernel should I use.

Hope I helped at all,

The Reepr

I wrote this all my self so I can help to the best of my abilities.

Okay, I have partiallly successfully installed osx on my pc with the following specs:

nforce 680i SE SLI (stock Superclocked)

geforce 8800 GTS 320MB

2 GB corsair ram

80 GB western digital IDE HDD

E6600 (2.4 gHz Stock clock)

Here's my story:

First off this guide is not complete becuase my installed version did not boot, well it booted then came up as please reboot your mac. IDK. IF you do lemme know and I'll fix this part.And I need help on that as well

I've installed OS X before on my old dell (optiplex 260?) with the JaS 10.4.6 image without any problems whatsoever. I figured great now I have a new PC, easy install with my old JaS disc, and It'll be a lot faster now. NOPE. Here's a little guide from what I experienced. It may be my problems only, but I'm sure there's someone scratching their head just like I was a day or 2 a go

Here's what to do to be successful Hopefully

-IDE only It may only be my mobo, but OS X flipped out and crashed when I told it to format my sata drive

-Set it so your bios sees the HDD(and by that I mean when you boot, your bios sees the HDD) (blue IDE socket on the 680i) I had to pull out all jumpers (little plastic pieces on the back of it) and put it on the slave (first plug on the ribbon closest to the plug in the mobo) It'll only allow one HDD at a time or it won't see any. Make sure nothing else is plugged in to the IDE ribbon.

-Download either uphuck or mac.nub's image. It has the patched kernel for the nforce mobos and runs. JaS images reboot after loading the kernel which I think is basically a kernel panic.(tell me if I'm wrong)

-Use diskUtility. It is your savior. Install intructions in a bit.

-If you only have one HDD, make sure you have the following if your replcing windows/linux, a copy of the install disk for the OS, and a Gparted or magicparted live boot disk (make sure it works) You may need it if OS X decides to corrupt your boot Record.

-Have fun! :blink:

Installing The Tiger Inside:

1. Aquire and burn the ISO

-Either Mac.Nub's newest(V1 R5 as of 11/3/07) or Uphuck (DOn't remember) wil work on the nforce 680i

-I used Deepburner on max burn speed (don't yell everyone, I took a chance but these are exctly the steps I took)

-Label it exactly what it is (not just OSX or Tiger)

2. Plug in the HDD

3. Boot to the disc (esc on the nvidia, f12 on dells ask and we can let you know)

4. Hit f8 when the first installer screen comes up (It'll say darwin x86) then type -v for verbose mode which basically means I'm not an idiot, tell me what's going on while you do it

-It'll load for a while

-if you get an ebios error then

-Bad burn/Disc?

-Try a different kernel

-If it reboots before you get to anything graphical, It's a bad kernel for your machine. Get a different one.

5. Select your language and let it load until you get an apple bar on the top of your screen (silver with drop down menus) Then click utilities, then disk utility let it load

6. select your HDD on the left hand side, then select partition tab on the right. I selected one partiton, and then click options IMPORTANT DO THIS !!!!!! select MBR (master boot record) or your install will not boot, found it out the hard way.

7. click format or whatever it says, partition or something like that

-If it just goes to the apple and you don'e see a progress bar ont he bottom of the window then restart and switch your IDE config around util it works.

8. After that close disk utility, then install your patches and stuff, then install and reboot. Simple!

Picking drivers, I need help with.

AND

I really need help picking a kernel cuz mine errors out as soon as I boot into Tiger. What kernel should I use.

Hope I helped at all,

The Reepr

I wrote this all my self so I can help to the best of my abilities.

Hey man Im in the same boat.

Ive done the isntall but I cant get it to boot. Using Chain0 I get chain boot error.

hmm well im gonna try again, the drivers are a {censored} shoot lol Cant decide which I want/need.

Audio and LAN I have no clue but I choose the 256 NVinject for my 6800gs (rad card eh?)

Well lets give it another go... If you have a solution and Im no where to be seen can you PLEASE send me an email or pm, something that will notify me!

And off I go!

• 2 years later...

3.16ghz E8500

Evga Nforce 680i sli

9800 GTX 512mb

320GB SATA - Windows 7

320GB SATA

120GB IDE OS X 10.6.4

4gb Ram Memory

DVD-RW SATA

everything is good loading up OS X but one thing it keep crash / freeze FCP Render too long or Games Loading too long, Installing too long. I am not really sure what went wrong yet.

Hey man Im in the same boat.

Ive done the isntall but I cant get it to boot. Using Chain0 I get chain boot error.

hmm well im gonna try again, the drivers are a {censored} shoot lol Cant decide which I want/need.

Audio and LAN I have no clue but I choose the 256 NVinject for my 6800gs (rad card eh?)

Well lets give it another go... If you have a solution and Im no where to be seen can you PLEASE send me an email or pm, something that will notify me!

And off I go!