Better iPhone Tethering for Mac OS X

cybergamer

8 posts in this topic

http://nsgn.net/better_iphone_tethering/ is a new method of tethering the iPhone to Mac OS X based computers for internet access. While harder to set up, this new method overcomes almost all of the issues experienced when using the older proxy based tether methods. Virtually all websites load without first opening them on iPhone and email, IM, and more work flawlessly. Very similar to having an AT&T access card in one's laptop!

http://nsgn.net/better_iphone_tethering/ is a new method of tethering the iPhone to Mac OS X based computers for internet access. While harder to set up, this new method overcomes almost all of the issues experienced when using the older proxy based tether methods. Virtually all websites load without first opening them on iPhone and email, IM, and more work flawlessly. Very similar to having an AT&T access card in one's laptop!
i tried it and i keep on getting stuck on step 2 with this error.....
scp :scp /var/root/.ssh/ No such file or directory

any help? what am i doing wrong?do i have to go create a folder or something on my iphone?

SSH into your phone and usemkdir /var/root/.ssh/if the directory doesnt seem to exist. After doing this, the SCP will work.. I'm updating the guide. Thanks for finding that.
you should probably also add that the iphone's root password is dottie, some people know thats what it is but some dont.

hey after trying that mkdir /root/var/.ssh/ i got this error

mkdir: cannot create directory `/root/var/.ssh/': No such file or directory

shouldnt it be something like-

mkdir /private/root/var/.ssh/

????

ok so i restored my iPhone to factory settings and retried it, i got past the

mkdir /var/root/.ssh/

part and was doing this part-

sudo scp /var/root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub root@YOUR_IPHONES_IP_ADDRESS:/root/var/.ssh/

and got this rediculous error.-

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@	WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!	 @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
45:ef:6e:d6:6c:c3:c6:de:7e:fb:cd:b2:57:9d:8f:36.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /var/root/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /var/root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.1.102 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
lost connection

what should i do now????

Ok, so now i have made it past step 2 thankfully with the help of an IT guy from Greece, I love IRC, and then I try to setup SLiRP yet it doesn't. I have it copied to my iPhone in teh directory, /usr/bin, and I gave it execute permissions. I did the file prep on my mac and setup the IPs correctly, that I must have checked over at least 20 times. When I go to run SLiRP I get the error- Error- can't find your HOME. Not sure what that means but I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen.

Anyone familiar with SLiRP?