[How To] Internet Access via Bluetooth

TheLucster

1 post in this topic

[How To] Internet Access via Bluetooth

Temporary solution if your network adapter isn't supported

Well today I installed OSX and it turns out the built in ethernet isn't supported (and probably won't be). I haven't got any other network hardware, so I ordered a PCI ethernet adapter off eBay. Well that isn't going to be here until next week and I want internet on my Hackintosh now! I have a MacBook with built in bluetooth so I used a Bluetooth dongle to create a network with these.

What you need:

- Two Macs with OS X 10.4 and working Bluetooth

- Basic knowledge of using Terminal.app

'Server' refers to the Mac that already has internet access (via airport, ethernet, whatever)

'Client' refers to the Mac without internet access.

Basic Bluetooth Setup

1. First make sure Bluetooth is working on both Macs. To do this go to System Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Settings. Bluetooth power should be on, and the server should have an memorable name and be discoverable.

2. On the server you need to create a new Bluetooth service. Click on Sharing then Add Serial Port Device. Type the name 'Bluetooth-Internet' and select the type as RS232. Make sure show in network preferences and require pairing are unchecked.

3. You now need to pair the server and client. On the client in the Bluetooth preference pane click on Devices then Set Up New Device. Follow the prompts, for the device type select Any Device. When it has found the server computer select this and click Continue. If it can't find it try moving the server and client closer together. It will then ask you to pair the devices and show you a code on the client to enter on a prompt on the server. This may take a while, I have an old Bluetooth dongle and it took about 2 minutes. Once it has completed it will show you a list of services. Make sure Access the Internet with this Phones data service is unchecked.

4. Once this has completed the server should be in the list under Devices. Click on this and select Edit Serial Ports. I had two services already setup but we don't need these so select them and click the - to remove them. Click the + then select 'Bluetooth-Internet' from the device service dropdown. Make sure Show In Network Preferences is checked and the type is RS232, then in the port name box type 'Bluetooth-Internet' and click Apply.

Basic Testing

5. Now lets do a simple test to make sure it is working.

On the server open Terminal.app and enter the command:

cat /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Internet

(it won't display anything yet, but just leave it).

On the client open Terminal.app and enter the command.

echo "Hello" > /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Internet

Once you have done this on the server it should output Hello. If it doesn't follow the steps again to make sure you followed everything. If the server doesn't return to the prompt press Ctrl C.

Setting up internet sharing

6. Firstly on the server you need to setup internet sharing. To do this go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet. Select your default network connect from the dropdown, then in the list click Built-in Ethernet. Lastly click Start.

7. Now go back to Terminal.app and run one simple command (ok now that simple), you will be prompted for your password:

sudo /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Internet 115200 noauth local passive proxyarp asyncmap 0 silent persist :10.0.1.202

You might want to change the IP at the end - make sure you leave the colon!

8. The server is all setup, and all the Bluetooth stuff on the client is done, but there are still a few network bits on the client. Go to System Preferences -> Network. You should get a message saying a new network port has been detected called Bluetooth-Internet. If you don't quit System Preferences and load it up again (and go to Network).

9. From the Show drop drop select Network Port Configurations and check the box next to Bluetooth-Internet. Now from the Show drop down select Bluetooth-Internet.

10. Woop! We are nearly done... Most of the options in this section can be left at their defaults. Under the TCP/IP tab you will need to enter some DNS servers, these can be found from your ISP or you may be able to enter your routers IP. On the Modem tab select Null Modem 115200 and then click Apply Now (don't close it yet though).

11. Go back to the PPP tab and click Dial Now. The Internet Connect program will launch, from the tabs select Bluetooth-Internet (if it isn't already) and click Connect. After a few seconds it should connect, so fire up your browser and get browsing!

Hopefully everything should be working by now, if not make sure you have followed everything correctly. If you still can't figure it out post a reply here! Now the first thing you will notice is that it is bloody slow! The 115200 is the speed in kbit/s, so you will will be lucky to get speeds of 14kbyte/s (broadband nowadays is at least 20x faster than this!), but heh its something! Also in this method you are setting up the server computer as a router so Bonjour services such as iTunes music sharing probably won't work - if anyone knows a way around leave a comment!