MKV Files

kn-oeien

28 posts in this topic

My Macbook 1.83 played 720p mkv flawlessly when i Had it.

The reason the appletv will likely never be able to play large files is due to the small amount of ram, which only is sufficient for loading when the movies are very small.

Long time listner, first time caller.

MKV playback on the Apple TV is still a work-in-progress but certainly looks possible.

I'm keen to see this happen because I have lots of 720p MKV 24fps h264 content.

There are currently two solutions for the AppleTV.

Perian is an add-on for Quicktime. The unreleased-still-in-beta Perian 1.0 does allow MKV playback. However the way it works requires the entire file to be read into Quicktime before it plays smoothly. If you install the Perian beta onto a Mac, you'll see a loading progress bar at the bottom of the player. Obviously playing files over a wireless network is going to be pretty lousy with this solition.

However sometime after the release of 1.0, the Perian team intend to improve the way this works.

Because it's a Quicktime component, it will mean that MKV will work with the brilliant AppleTVFiles plugin.

Another plugin for the AppleTV is NitoTV. This is a port of MPlayer - and plays 720p MKVs quite well. This player drops the odd frame, and after a while the audio has drifted out of sync. Nito is not great yet - but it proves that the Apple TV certainly has enough power to play 720p content.

C.