AppleTV Plugin Code Sample -> Local Movie Player

grabberslasher

34 posts in this topic

I've deleted my build, seems to have a problem with linking to the Users-folder. Better use this one: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/ATVFiles

it looks like this one would work for me but my user account that i have been working in is named appletv... is there any way we can change the path it points to? ...say to an external drive or a different users Movies folder???

Yes, there is.

Do the following:

cd /Users
ln -s frontrow /Users/yournamehere/Movies

if you want to use your account Movies library, or

cd /Users
ln -s frontrow /Volumes/volumename/folder

if you want to use a Movies folder that's stored on another volume.

Sherry Haibara

it looks like this one would work for me but my user account that i have been working in is named appletv... is there any way we can change the path it points to? ...say to an external drive or a different users Movies folder???

Yes, there is.

Do the following:

cd /Users
ln -s frontrow /Users/yournamehere/Movies

if you want to use your account Movies library, or

cd /Users
ln -s frontrow /Volumes/volumename/folder

if you want to use a Movies folder that's stored on another volume.

Sherry Haibara

forgive me, im not very fluent when it comes to the terminal, but what you are saying is that if i type this into the terminal it will change the path that the ATVFiles.frapp is using to point to the specific folder? wouldnt you have to change the code inside that plugin?

Nope. ATVFile.frapp plugin it's coded to point here: /Users/frontrow/Movies, and use it as its Movies folder.

Now, what do we need to do if we wanna let it use our Movies folder?

Because we just can't change the plugin code (aldready tried, but it doesn't seem to work well), we need a trick that create a symbolic link between our /Users/name/Movies folder and /Users/frontrow/Movies folder. Doing in terminal what I wrote in the previous post will deceive the plugin and do that trick, making our "AppleTV" seeing our Movies even if they aren't in /Users/frontrow/Movies :)

I hope it's more clear now,

Sherry Haibara

that made it a lot more clear. however, i wasnt able to get it to work. still nothing in the files menu and when i checked the movies folder where i want it linked to i saw a file named front row in there... im assuming that was supposed to be the pointer file?

anyway, i decided to just create another new user named frontrow and put all my movies in that user Movies folder. worked like a charm. so until we get more bugs worked out and more error free ways of working around this ill probly just leave it like this.

thanks for the help!

Hi all

I've installed the great ATVFiles plugin and can now see the contents of the /Users/frontrow/Movies folder from my AppleTV. What I'd like to do now is set-up an AFP mount in /Users/frontrow/Movies on the AppleTV to redirect to my iMac's Movies folder. Then I can just access all of my movie files without having to copy them to the AppleTV or sync via iTunes. I've managed to set-up an AFP mount but it mounts my entire iMac's HD.

I just want the mount to go directly to /Users/myusername/Movies on my iMac! Any ideas how I do this?

Also, how can I make the mount persistent between reboots of the AppleTV?

This is what I've done so so far...

1. SSH to AppleTV

2. Make the OSBoot Volume read-write: sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/disk0s3 /

3. Mount the AFP share: mount_afp -i afp://iMac.Local/Mac\ HD /Users/frontrow/Movies

Many thanks! :)

Stukey

ibcrootbeer <-love the stuff...

anyway, give this a shot. Once I had ATVfiles working, I was able to change the default location of my movie files by using this code to create a symbolic link.

mkdir /Volumes/volume_name/Users/frontrow/Movies

Creates the folder frontrow. You may get an error saying this folder already exist. If so, this is not a problem so continue.

rm -r /Volumes/volume_name/Users/frontrow/Movies

Removes the Movies folder, and all of it contents, that resides in the frontrow users folder.

ln -s /Volumes/volume_name/Users/your_username/Movies /Volumes/volume_name/Users/frontrow

This creates a symbolic link to your current movie folder.

Now we can mount a shared network folder in your Users Movies folder to access remote network shares. First, on your remote computer, make sure you share the folder containing the video files you wish to watch. Then...

mkdir /Volumes/volume_name/Users/your_username/Movies/new_folder

Use this command to create a new folder in your users Movie folder.

mount -t smbfs //ip_of_shared_computer/shared_folder /Volumes/volume_name/Users/your_username/Movies/new_folder

This will mount the network share to your users Movie folder and will now be accessable from atv.

As always, us at your own risk...