Looking for Gateway BIOS Help

13 posts in this topic

The Intel Motherboard in my Gateway 3250S came with this BIOS:

EV91510A.15A.0123

I made the mistake of "upgrading" to the latest plain-vanilla Intel BIOS:

EV91510A.86A.0470

As a result I've lost use of the onboard Firewire in OSX.

Gateway ftp site does have a new BIOS for this motherboard:

AG91510J.15A.0816

I have tried installing the new BIOS from within WinXP, and using iFlash from a boot floppy. In both cases the flash aborts when it identifies that I am trying to overwrite an "EV" BIOS with an "AG". I even tried removing the BIOS jumper and the "recovery" mode from a floppy and still get no flash.

I'm pretty sure that iFlash can "force" a flash, which is probably what I need to do, but I have not found an understandable description of the iFlash syntax on the Intel site or elsewhere on the web.

QUESTIONS:

1) Anyone out there have a copy of, or a link to, the old EV91510A.15A.0123 Gateway BIOS ?

2) Anyone out there able to instruct me on how to force a flash of the AG91510J.15A.0816 BIOS ?

Thanks!

G

I flashed my 3250S with the intel bios for D915GEV

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...44&submit=Go%21

And my onboard firewire is working fine, maybe you should try this one instead? I followed the intel tutorial for identifying BIOS when I first got the machine and according to that the 3250 has a D915GEV, not GAG motherbord. Pay special attention to the first two letters of your BIOS string when you first boot the computer. I might be wrong, maybe our systems are different, but I really think you are trying to use the wrong bios try the one I linked above. I flashed mine from WinXP, it did it's autoboot and flash thing, and I havnt had a problem since.

Also, after I performed my Gateway -> Intel flash OSX became unusuable and I had to reinstall.. have you tried to reinstall and see if your firewire comes back?

I flashed my 3250S with the intel bios for D915GEV

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...44&submit=Go%21

And my onboard firewire is working fine, maybe you should try this one instead? I followed the intel tutorial for identifying BIOS when I first got the machine and according to that the 3250 has a D915GEV, not GAG motherbord. Pay special attention to the first two letters of your BIOS string when you first boot the computer. I might be wrong, maybe our systems are different, but I really think you are trying to use the wrong bios try the one I linked above. I flashed mine from WinXP, it did it's autoboot and flash thing, and I havnt had a problem since.

Also, after I performed my Gateway -> Intel flash OSX became unusuable and I had to reinstall.. have you tried to reinstall and see if your firewire comes back?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm away from the machine right now, but I'll try a clean install on Monday. The primary difference between the D915GEV & D915GAG boards appears to be that the 'GEV takes DDR2 SDRAM, while the 'GAG takes DDR SDRAM. Did you really get a DDR2 Motherboard ?

As far as I can tell, we are (now) running the exact same Intel BIOS...EV91510A.86A.470, which is what Intel calls out for either board. BTW, the onboard firewire does still work in WinXP, just not in OSX.

Thanks again, be back at you Monday!

G

Thanks for the feedback. I'm away from the machine right now, but I'll try a clean install on Monday. The primary difference between the D915GEV & D915GAG boards appears to be that the 'GEV takes DDR2 SDRAM, while the 'GAG takes DDR SDRAM. Did you really get a DDR2 Motherboard ?

As far as I can tell, we are (now) running the exact same Intel BIOS...EV91510A.86A.470, which is what Intel calls out for either board. BTW, the onboard firewire does still work in WinXP, just not in OSX.

Thanks again, be back at you Monday!

G

Had an opportunity to do a clean OsX86 install on a fresh hard drive tonite, and no change. OSX-formatted Firewire Drives still show up in WinXP (with MacDrive), but not in OsX86. Tried both a hot-swap & a reboot with drive powered up and connected. It LOOKS to me like the necessary extensions are present but not loading.

Any chance you kept a copy of the stock BIOS (EV91510A.15A.0123) for your machine ? While it COULD be something else, I'd really like to eliminate (or confirm) the BIOS change as the root cause.

Thanks,

G

I am sorry I did not retain a copy of the original bios as everything appeared to work properly after the flash. My system is DDR not DDR2. I have crosslinked this thread to another thread concerning this system perhaps someone else purchasing one will be able to supply a copy of the stock bios so you can flash things back and investigate further.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry I did not retain a copy of the original bios as everything appeared to work properly after the flash. My system is DDR not DDR2. I have crosslinked this thread to another thread concerning this system perhaps someone else purchasing one will be able to supply a copy of the stock bios so you can flash things back and investigate further.

Just a bump in case someone else has come across this issue of on-board Firewire not working after an otherwise successful BIOS upgrade and/or has a copy of the original/earlier Gateway BIOS [EV91510A.15A.0123] for the Intel D915GAG motherboard (apparently called the "Augsburg" motherboard by Gateway).

Thanks,

G

• 2 weeks later...
Just a bump in case someone else has come across this issue of on-board Firewire not working after an otherwise successful BIOS upgrade and/or has a copy of the original/earlier Gateway BIOS [EV91510A.15A.0123] for the Intel D915GAG motherboard (apparently called the "Augsburg" motherboard by Gateway).

Thanks,

G

I have a same board with original bios, how do I copy the bios off the chip to a file?

Thanks,

Jack

• 1 month later...

Yeh, I would like to find out how to put the orginal firmeware on, i decided to do a vanilly upgrade, and everything all messed up with the fands, and some video. You ever find out how to fix it? i used to EV91510A.86A.0470 also. Sorry for bringing an old topic back, but i need help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

guilliamo,

I have a Gateway 830Gm which Everest reports as:

Field Value

Motherboard Name Intel Augsburg D915GAG

Field Value

Motherboard ID AG91510J.15A.0816.2005.0214.1818

If you are still looking for a BIOS pm me and I see if I can download the BIOS.

BTW

Does your board have the Realtek ALC880 audio and have you been able to get it working on either 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 ?