intel montherboards and system confused help !

4 posts in this topic

hi guys

now that i have abondoned amd i have chosen to build a intel system !!!

(e6300 core 2 duo 975)

The system i build has to be quiite powerfull after overclock of course !!

but i am stuck at which motherboard to get ?????

i am a fan of asus (the one with the remote looks nice)

but whats a top of the range motherboard that will be a good overclocker and work in osx86 without that much modding ????

this set-up needs to fucntion as a dual-boot for me but primarily i need something thats fast and good for graphics also games in windows more so than osx ???

help so many boards to choose from i dont know which ones are the best.

also should i wait for a future motherboard that may be better , any news ????

graphic cards again lost ?????

help

thanks

gokhan,

I'm in the same boat as you but perhaps I've been researching things for a bit longer...

Here's a message thread that I started which going into all the gory details of what I've learned to date (worth a read IMHO).

But, here are the basics...

Intel 975 based motherboards

- Considered to be 'most supported' / 'most compatible' on Hackintoshes (aka: booting into OS X)

- Longer track record (longest?)

- More pricey than the 965 based mobos

Intel 965 based motherboards

- Starting to catch up on being feature complete / compatible

- They have less of a track record (for now)

- Less expensive than the 975 based mobos

Motherboards based on 'other chipsets' (nvidia and the like)

- From highly experimental to not supported at all (in the Hackintosh environment)

- Of course running Windows on these mobos isn't a problem...

- OS X is still very much a work in progress with these mobos (if it works at all)

- Nonbooting systems and extreme lack of feature support is common at the moment

- In short... tread into this territory only if you have a TRUE sense of adventure (and humor) :D

All that being said, the two motherboards of choice (from what I've seen anyway) are:

- The Intel BOXD975XBX2KR (Bad Axe 2 Extreme)

- The ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe

Those are both 975 chipset based... The ASUS has overclocking potential and the Intel doesn't (if overclocking matters to you).

I think I just saw the ASUS at www.newegg.com or www.outpost.com for 219 and the Intel was a bit more expensive than that.

Best advice is to 'buy what sounds most support' and then realize that a better or cheaper board may come up on the Hacintosh radar perhaps even mere moments after you place your order... :)

I hope this helps some... but just remember, the rate of change (improvement) in feature support seems to be happening at a weekly (if not daily) rate so answers to 'what motherboard is best' don't have a very long shelf life as other motherboards become more supported.

Dave

Edited by DaveGee

thanks you sooo much dude

yeah tahst the asus board i wanted anyway they seem to be getting most things working for it now !!!

overlcoking is very important to me so the intel board is out but then i thought it was good for that ????

ati is the graphics cards im opting for pci-express x1650 will that work ???

so im going computer fair sunday looks like this is it !!!

Good luck my friend.. and I think that ATI card will work but to be sure you'll want to do some searching on this forum... Truth be told I still haven't gotten that far in my research...

My order was:

- Mobo / CPU

- CPU / Mobo

- Heatsync

- Case

- PS

- Video card

Not because the video card isn't important but because I knew it would take a fair bit of time figuring out which one I was gonna go with...

All I do remember from my readings thus far is we have to stay away from 512MB cards... ( I think thats still true anyway ) - as for the rest I kind think I remember reading that the drivers available for ATI (and NVIDIA) each support quite a variety of different cards.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Oh do you have the JAS package updater for 10.4.8 Intel? If not I know I saw that (and other 'stuff' you may need) on one of usenet alt.binaries groups... if you have a good fast new host with alt.binaries.* support that's a really fast way to get what you need.

Dave

Edited by DaveGee