Installing 10.4.6 on D600, but having some issues

heavylee

12 posts in this topic

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me.

I have a Dell Latitude D600 (PentiumM 1.6, 1GB RAM, 30GB, DVD combo, A16 BIOS [newest]) and I am trying to install a patched version of 10.4.6. I booted from the DVD, and used Disk Utility to partition the HD into one OS X Journaled partition. It installed OS X, and the first time I rebooted, I got 'b0 error' on a black screen after the Dell splash screen. I googled this and followed instructions to set the partition to active using fdisk commands. I did so, and now when I reboot from the HD, it boots to the common white screen with the grey apple, with the b&w twirling circle beneath it (not the pinwheel). There's a symbol on top of the apple icon that's like the Ghostbusters' circle-with-a-slash. It just hangs here.

Any suggestions?

Edited by heavylee

Which install did you use? Did you select the required SSE2 patches from the options in the install? Double check the options during the install and see if there is anything that hasn't been selected that should be. That burned me once.

Apparently there is a new JaS 10.4.8 DVD that was just released. Maybe give that a try. The D600 works well once you install the patches for the ethernet card and battery. Check out the wiki for links to all the necessary patches once you get the install working.

I realized that I didn't choose the customized installtion, so I redid it and I got the same error - b0 error. I followed the instructions I found here to make it active and it works! The NIC worked natively, but not wireless. So when I followed the instructions to make the wireless card active as well, I somehow disabled the NIC in the process (changing en0 to en1). So wireless works, I'm connected to my home network. So now I just have to figure out how to get both working simultaneously.

I also need to get the video drivers working better. It's doing 1024x768 but I want higher. I also need to get the sound working and the battery meter.

Make sure to read the following wiki entries. They'll help you to get your battery meter working, higher resolutions, wireless and ethernet, and sleep mode working properly. Feel free to send me a message if you run into trouble. I've been running on the D600 for almost a year and it's not too bad. Wish I had an SSE3 processor though, and QE/CI!

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...l_Latitude_D600

HHM

Make sure to read the following wiki entries. They'll help you to get your battery meter working, higher resolutions, wireless and ethernet, and sleep mode working properly. Feel free to send me a message if you run into trouble. I've been running on the D600 for almost a year and it's not too bad. Wish I had an SSE3 processor though, and QE/CI!

HHM

Thanks HHM. I'll try these tonight (hopefully I'll have time).

I know this information was out there somewhere, but wading through everything in the forum is difficult. I'm quite active in a Tech Support forum on a different site, and I know that sometimes I wonder why people post questions that have been answered already, and all they had to do is search for it. I appreciate your patience. The editing of kext's are new to me too, so this is definitely a learning experience.

Another quick question, if you don't mind.

When I installed OS X again with the patches, I chose SSE2 only. OS X is working fine, but I'm wondering if I need SSE3 as well, or instead. What symptoms would OS X show me if I need it? I'm not thrilled about having to do the install again, but I want to get it as correct as possible, because as soon as I done with all the tweaking, I'm gonna image the HD so I don't have to do this again. BTW, are the any free drive imagine programs you'd recommend for OS X?

K, got the battery monitor working.

Some of the files/drivers in the links you provided are no longer there, but I'll keep looking.

Another weird thing, I haven't patched it yet, but the NIC card shows up in the System Profiler, but not in the Network Control Panel........

Edited by heavylee

Ok, so now I've got the sound working.

I got the 10/100 NIC working, but sometimes when I reboot, I get the weird permissions error for the driver. I have the text I need to re-do the NIC driver, and it works after restart - but for about 5 restarts, then the driver fails again. Any thoughts?

For the video display, I just can't get it to work. I've modified the com.apple.Boot.plist file a zillion times, deleted every ATI file I can find, but still nothing. Any thoughts?

Ok, so now I've got the sound working.

I got the 10/100 NIC working, but sometimes when I reboot, I get the weird permissions error for the driver. I have the text I need to re-do the NIC driver, and it works after restart - but for about 5 restarts, then the driver fails again. Any thoughts?

For the video display, I just can't get it to work. I've modified the com.apple.Boot.plist file a zillion times, deleted every ATI file I can find, but still nothing. Any thoughts?

I'll trade ya. Post how to re-add the AC97 install codecs (I chose the SigmataTel, but it was obviously a bad choice), and I'm telling you to take this Installer for the Callisto driver (v. b03). It will make the Mobility 9000 correctly appear in the Display panel.

Another thing you should do is to run a Disk Util and Permission Repair after editing those files.

-Moogly

Callisto_b003fixed.zip