TOSHIBA Satellite M70 + VMware + Mac OS X 1.4.6

comune

2 posts in this topic

Processor Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.86GHz – SSE2

ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 SE

Disk: TOSHIBA MK1032GSX (93GB)

Disk 1: HDS72251 6VLAT20 USB Device

Disk 2: ST332082 0A USB Device

CD-ROM/DVD : MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ-841S (CD 24X Rd, 24X Wr) (DVD 3X Rd, 3X Wr)

Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Networking: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC; Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

1GB Ram

VMware 5.0

Alcohol 120%

OK, I finally succeeded in installing OSX in VWware, getting this OS running on my laptop, and here are the steps I followed, mixing various methods suggested here in the forum. I did not put in place a native install just because I don’t like dual booting.

I will suppose that you have good knowledge about VMware and Alcohol 120%.

- mount in Alcohol 120% your OSX image;

- in VMware, start a new virtual machine, choose custom, operating system other/other, hard disk ide independent/persistent, I assigned it 20 GB space on a virtual disk (without pre-allocating it or writing it on my physical HDD);

- in your virtual machine settings, disable CD auto-detect, and mark the virtual CD letter corresponding to that on which you mounted the OSX image in Alcohol;

- I also selected bridged network, because otherwise it would have been impossible for my OSX to connect to the internet;

- to avoid VMware warnings/errors I did the following:

1) edited the .vmx file of this new virtual machine, adding the line paevm = “TRUE”;

2) assigned 596 MB of memory, because with 256MB and 512MB I received from VMware a DMA warning which sometimes freezed the VMware program;

- now, start the virual machine press esc and choose to boot from CD

- VMware will start loading the OSX installer from the image you mounted in Alcohol, when the installer is ok go through the other steps of the procedure until you see the installer menu in the upper side of the screen;

- Here you go to utility, disk utility, the installer will show you your 20GB (in my case) virtual disk and the 4.7GB OSX DVD; select the 20 GB disk, select to write one partition on it, and press partition;

- The virtual disk is now formatted and ready for the OSX install;

- Close the disk utility and go back to the install procedure, go back to the step in whcich you have to select the destination disk to install OSX, select the virtual disk you just formatted, go on again with the procedure until you have to start “install”;

- Don’t press “install”, because you have to choose the right patches for you computer at this stage;

- On the left of the “install” button you will find another button to personalize your installation: in my 1.4.6 OSX it is called “ad hoc”

- In the personalization menu I marked only my language (press the little arrow on the left of each item to obtain the sub-menus), no printer drivers (‘cause I haven’t a printer and they require a lot of space), and in the AMD-Intel patches I marked only:

1) Intel SSE2 (corresponding to my processor specs);

2) 1.4.6 Combo update;

- remember that – as suggested somewhere in this forum by Rammjet – you can’t choose both SSE2 and SSE3, but only one of the two, and the same is for AMD. Avoid to mark audio or video support, unless you are quite sure they’re exactly those required for your computer, otherwise you will have problems in starting your OS. In my case in a first attempt I didn’t mark the combo update and marked the ATI Radeon support, and the installation process was successful but the OS booted only up to a blue screen with the mouse cursor and stopped there. When I unmarked the ATI support everything was right.

- Now, go and install following the steps suggested by the installer, finalize the procedure until the system requires a restart;

- Restarting the system in your virtual machine, press esc again and boot again from CD, because you need the OSX installer utility to mark your partition as active; If you don’t do this, booting the system you will get a “b0 error” and stop there.

- When the installer is on, go to the utility menu in the upper side of the screen, open terminal and type the following:

1) diskutil list

2) fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0

3) p

4) f 1

5) write

6) y

7) exit

you will find the exact procedure in this forum, topic 22844;

- Exit from the installer, edit settings of your virtual and choose CD autodetect, and restart.

You should now have a working OSX on your computer.

Results:

- Internet connection is ok at first attempt;

- No sound, I’ll have to look for a solution later;

- Display resolution only at 1024x768, I will try to solve later.

Note that when I downloaded the 1.4.8 update the system crashed, so I suggest to clone your freshly installed virtual machine, to have another one to use for experimental purposes.

That’s it. Hope it will be useful!

:(

• 1 month later...