57 replies to this topic

leoms17

leoms17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
To clarify my problem:

After following all the steps mentioned by Craig I reboot, plug in the USB key and get the following message:
System extension cannot be used
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.
Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

What can be wrong? I've tried this many many times now and always with the same result.

One more: at the beginning of this thread there's a line "rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extenions.kextcache", is it "Extenions.kextcache" or should it be "Extensions.kextcache". I've tried both, but I don't need password confirm to continue, like all other lines.

steves2

steves2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all

Does anyone know if this will work with 10.3.9?

Many thanks

Steves2

iCreate

iCreate

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Web Development and Design, Hackintosh, PC repair
Thanks Simania_NL!!
The driver worked perfectly with 10.5.2

I now have internet :)

Behemoth Kat

Behemoth Kat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have an WUSB54GC dongle, 10.5.2 leo4allv3 based hackintosh, downloaded all option drivers (prasys files, ralink + modified kext) and:

- i can install all options w/o problem. It detected, new eth interface shown in netwpref, had configured manual IP, etc.

- wirelessUSButility shows correct TX packets but noone was received correct.

I've tried to switch off WEP, WPA, reset my wireless router without success :D

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

stevenmansour

stevenmansour

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

After following all the steps mentioned by Craig I reboot, plug in the USB key and get the following message:
System extension cannot be used
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.
Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I also followed the instructions exactly and I was having the same problem as you on Kalyway 10.5.2, and solved it by using 'OSX86Tools' to install the kext (same as the first post) properly, then running all the maintenance script in that same program (repair permissions, etc). After a reboot, I plugged it in and it worked like a charm, streaming video right now...

Cheers,
s.

leoms17

leoms17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks stevenmansour!
My desktop is currently in a box since I'm moving out. I'll check it as soon as I'm back on line. Sounds like it'll work for me too!

...solved it by using 'OSX86Tools' to install the kext (same as the first post) properly, then running all the maintenance script in that same program (repair permissions, etc).

Could you be more specific as to which scripts I have to run from OSx86Tools?

I'll post my results when I get back.
Thanks again (I thought for a moment that the thread was dead...)

acmilancrazy

acmilancrazy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
hey guys
this is my first post so i hope im doing this right...

the process worked for me, as in, it shows up under apples System Profiler under the usb tab, however, it wont show up under System Preferences/Network ;)
And when i try to find it under usb wireless utility, it doesnt show up there either.
I installed that airport menu thing that prasys made (v015) and it didnt help, and when i installed her drivers, it made it disappear from the system profiler (maybe i unplugged and then replugged it back in without thinking, and that was the problem, because it doesnt seem to want to show up unless its plugged in on startup, but prasys' fix should fix that) so i followed the instructions again and now it shows up under system profiler again however, it still wont show up under system preferences/network. Here are the specs on my wusb54gc usb wireless linksys adapter.

Version: 0.01
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: up to 480 mb/sec
Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys
Product ID: 0x0020
Vendor ID: 0x13b1

Perhaps, if i was to change something under the IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT as in, say, add the RT73USBWIRELESSDRIVER.KEXT to plugins, and then editing the INFO.PLIST file for the kext, by adding the PNP ID for the linksys device, it would work? any input would be great. thanks.

O ya, and im running on the Jas dvd 10.4.8 with the added applications (i upgraded) from the uphuck dvd (10.4.9).

acmilancrazy

acmilancrazy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Hello,

I am having severe problems trying to configure the WUSB54GC to work with OS X 10.4.11.

I have found 3 different sets of steps posted by different users that have all claimed to have gotten it to work. However, all 3 of these instruction sets are flawed in their explanations. For example, none of these mention that the info.plist file and corresponding Content folder are read-only, THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP NOT MENTIONED! How do you forget to mention that? An average computer user is supposed to know how to change this? So, I made the Content folder and files inside it Read and Write properties so I could edit the .plist file.

I got the info.plist file to open in Terminal and added the strings of code verbatim, just as these tutorials stated to do. However, I was then supposed to "Save" this. When I go to save this, Terminal tries to save it as a Terminal file. What (and where) do I save it as? Is there another program I can use to edit the text? Do I even need to use Terminal at all?

To sum it all up, I need a much easier way to go about getting this to work. A better explanation or a more concise set of instructions to follow. As it is at the moment, I have spent the better part of 3 days trying to configure something I spent good money on after reading that it would work on my Mac. I don't mean to sound hasty, as this is software not meant to be configured for a Linksys wireless card, but I am getting very aggravated by the lack of support or thorough set of steps in getting this to work.

HELP!!!!

skylines, u can save the edited info.plist file by selecting "save text" instead of "save" (its right below the save as option i believe, on the file menu).

-Josh

explodingamoeba

explodingamoeba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After following the instructions exactly, I'm now posting this reply on my iBook G4 (12" 1.33ghz) using the Linksys WUSB54GC (the Cisco-Linksys version, 0.01).

I can't thank you enough! My iBook suffers from the Airport>Logic Board fiasco, so wireless for me was only a possibility if I kept pushing down on the area next to the trackpad; even then it would eventually hit a KP.

But now, those days are gone.

Thanks again!

YOzefff

YOzefff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok .. this is wierd ..

I have Kaliway 10.5.2, downloaded the kext file .. but it doesn't load automaticly ... everytime I want to use the usb stich I need to load the kext with the kextload command ... anyone solved this?

starsailor88

starsailor88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey anyone...after all Craig's installation, when i go to "network" in "system preferences" and click on the "+" button it kinda gets stuck n i have to force quit
am i having a problem or it just takes too much time to load??

CamH

CamH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I know this is damn old, but I followed this instructions on an Intel 915GM based Pentium M system immediately after I got the computer running. It worked flawlessly! Right after, I decided that the system needed to have a second monitor attached, so I went screwing around again and followed the instructions here: http://forum.insanel...mp;#entry344813

After I rebooted, the video worked great! It's awesome. But the wireless card quit working! I went through the steps outlined here again, still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to test out?

mussonero

mussonero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the help , WUSB54GC work perfect on 10.5.5 leopard ;)

Warstrong

Warstrong

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

thanks for the help , WUSB54GC work perfect on 10.5.5 leopard :blink:

You may experience kernel panics and other issues. I recently found a seemingly perfect solution. Here:
http://forum.insanel...howtopic=151237

Davirus

Davirus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Everything new and original
This do not work with 10.5.6

is there any solution or alternative to this?

Berry Verm

Berry Verm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Lot of people seems to have problems with the download of the driver.
Me to, but I found it at

http://www.ralinktec...support.php?s=3
Via www.ralinktech.com/ to Software to Macintosh

The first RT257 driver is the same as the third RT2500 driver
although the dates suggest different???

These drivers are all newer then mentioned in this forum,
so no garantie I think.

I plan to install the wusb54gc on on old iBook with system 10.4.11 if this system isn't to heavy for the iBook, otherwise on 10.3.9
Wish me luck.... I seem to need it!

varelaj

varelaj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

i have OSX 10.6.3
And i have tried all the solutions writed here,... no success!!!

Can any body say if the WUSB54G can work with snow leopard??

THANXXXX

Banditos

Banditos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi

i have OSX 10.6.3
And i have tried all the solutions writed here,... no success!!!

Can any body say if the WUSB54G can work with snow leopard??

THANXXXX

Same situation. I've got the linksys WUSB54GC verion 3 and SL 10.6.2. (soon 10.6.3). According to this website it uses the RT2800U chipset family.

Does this mean I can just download the "USB(RT2870 /RT2770 /RT307X /RT2070 /RT3572)" from this website and install it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy