VirtualBox Introduction: Codes to get your OS to run full screen

Passie

3 posts in this topic

VirtualBox Introduction: Codes to get your OS to run full screen.

Intro;
As far as i understood the rules i am not allowed to share links here. So i can't link the articles where i learned these things, but find it fair to say that i did not invent these tricks. I only added some extra info to make the procedure understandable for beginners as well.

This is the first thing your confronted with if you install Mac OS on VirtualBox, a less then full screen resolution. So this is the first hack you want to learn ones you move into the world of Virtual Operating Systems. I bet like me for many this is the first step before you install OS X on a new partition on your hard disk. The Virtual machine you can create a full clone off, So that is a perfect way to get used to coding concerning hacintosh. I hope to smoothen your first experience while using your tool by sharing my experiences ;)

Start:
VirtualBox has fixed resolution sizes, so ones you create an OS on VirtualBox then most times you start with 640x480. But you can change your code inside VirtualBox to get different screen sizes. In this step by step Tutor you will learn how you can get a full screen on your VirtualBox. There are 2 ways to do it.

1) Use one of the fixed sizes that VirtualBox offers.
2) A trick to use your own custom size.

1) Use one of the fixed sizes that VirtualBox offers.

Example:
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox"
VBoxManage setextradata "VM Name" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N

Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5 referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1900x1200
                                                                                     0           1                  2               3                  4                  5
NOTE:
You can ONLY chose one of the above options as these are the resolutions that VBox works with.
So if you have 1366x768 you need to pick one of them

1) Replace and edit the code that is named as “VM Name” to your macOS Virtual machine name, be sure it’s the same.

Example:
VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X Sierra Clone" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N

2) Choose the resolution of your screen monitor from the list. To choose one just clean N and type the number of that resolution size.
My size is 1366x768x32, So mine is not in the options thus i chose 3 = 1280x1024

VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X Sierra Clone" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 3

Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5 referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1900x1200

3) Make sure VirtualBox is not still running, close it completely ! Press Windows button + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

Admin prompt starts with C;/WINDOWS, normal prompt starts with C;/User, to know the difference. On Youtube tutors you sometimes see many replies where people can not get their OS X to install. I saw various examples where the reason was that people used as admin when normal prompt was needed. And they did it as normal prompt while admin was needed. So knowing the difference is important !

4) Direct command prompt towards VirtualBox, So copy & paste the command to Command Prompt(CMD) then hit enter.

Example:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox"

5) Prompt will then open a second line showing that your commands are now directed towards VirtualBox.
Now Copy & paste the fix screen resolution code to Command Prompt(CMD) then hit enter.

Note: Be sure that you have selected a fix resolution for your monitor screen and choice the amount of N.

Example:
C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox>VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X Sierra Clone" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 3

6) Enter after pasting the code to virtual-box then close all tabs.

7) Start the installed macOS Sierra virtual machine from VirtualBox. Now your screen size is at the size you entered ;)

How to set your custom resolution on VirtualBox. See Reply for Custom Size Step by Step

Extra Info:
I'm here to learn more about the function of bootloaders to know if they are needed when you want to add Kext [drivers mac]. And ones i get my audio running after learning how to fix it, then i will again make a step by step tutor like this. I put in these extra words to explain Why, we have to put certain code in to help you to understand. Following instructions to get it done is what we want obviously, but it is handy to know why you need to take the steps you need to take. As far as i have seen you need to patch-fix your OS every time when the OS gets updated. And then understanding why you do it is important else you need to keep asking help each time you get an update on your OS.

Beginner TIPS: VirtualBox: How to put your material on the mac.

The second problem you confront is that you can not drag and drop needed tools from your PC to the Mac. And you also don't have the option of using a shared folder. So how do we deal with that ?

USB, in VirtualBox you can activate virtual devices. Thus you put a USB stick, or USB hdisk in your USB and look in the devices list. There you pick your usb stick and it will be mounted on your desktop. Sometimes it wont show up at your desktop, so how do you find it then ?

You go to Go\Enclosing Folder, On the left you see the mounted disks or images.

You go to Go\Computer and you will find your hard disk. My hard disk is not mounted on the desktop, so took me some time to find it's location haha

Click on the Apple icon\System Preferences - For your system

Go\Applications or Utilities for the programs

Greets Passie

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Step By Step tutor for the Custom screen size. I installed A Disto OS Install because that has a build in Chameleon in the custom settings. I can't install Chameleon on most OS X that i tried, used VM Ware VMDK and OVA because we can not use the original Mac app to install OS X on Virtualbox or VM Ware products since they officially do not support OS X. So now tested this method and made a working full steps tutor to explain all steps. Also in my Complete OS Install guide for Virtualbox and OS X. Ones i am done with Virtualbox then i'll make a similar tutor about using VM Ware Player ;)

Now some after install work: Custom Size, Full screen fix

Chameleon Code to run Guest Side (Macintosh):

1) Go/Computer/Your Mac Harddrive/Extra
2) Double click org.chameleon.boot.plist to open it in TextEdit.
3) Select before <key>Kernel and do Enter to add an empty line.
4) Now you get a warning that you do not have permission to edit, Click Duplicate.
One Disto group has this, the other new Disto group has completely turned off securety on this folder. They also edited this .plist as you see when you open the .plist. The first line gives an intro to that group. Guess they forgot to turn securety back on for that folder. So from tat group you can simply edit the file and close it to get it auto saved. The old group did leave securety settings on, so then you need to use the following steps ;)
5) On the Duplicate, Enter again to add a 2nd line, then paste this code on top.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>

6) Change resolution to the size of your full screen !
1366x768x32 is what i got, but you can use any size you have.

7) Clean up the code a bit by putting it in line, Select before < and push space on the keyboard.
8) Now on the Mac TextEdit functions File/Save
9) Take "Copy" away from the name and add ".plist" to get the original file name.
org.chameleon.boot.plist

10) De-select the box that says add .txt extention if no extention
11) On the left select Desktop as saving location, Save.
12) Now close the TextEdit windows you had open.
13) Go/Computer/Your Mac Harddrive/Extra
Now drag the newly made .plist that has the same name on top of the existing .plist.

14) You are asked to authenticate, OK
15) Next box that pops up click replace.
16) Fill in your password and the file will be replaced.
17) Double click it to check if it has your added code on top.
18) Turn off your Mac OS and after turn off VirtualBox !

Now the Mac is ready for full screen, but VirtualBox isn't yet, on to that then.
Make sure VirtualBox is completely turned off.

Command to run on host side(windows):

1) Open Command Prompt (Normal, Not as Admin !) and direct prompt towards VirtualBox.
After opening prompt you will see, C:\Users\Your Account Name>

2) Put this code after it by copy-paste, and hit enter.
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox"

3) Now you will see, C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox>
Change code "Name of virtual machine" to your used name and change to your wanted resolution.
Then paste the code in Command Prompt.

vboxmanage setextradata "Name of virtual machine" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"

My used Example:
vboxmanage setextradata "OS X Mountain Lion" "CustomVideoMode1" "1366x768x32"

4) Press enter again and close command prompt.
5) Start your VirtualBox and then Mac Machine and enjoy your real full size.

Edited; to take Disto group name away as i heard it was not allowed to give such names ;)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...