looking for a how to run mac os x on normal x86 pc

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I want to run Mac OS X in VMWare 5.5.2 on my Dell Inspiron 9400 (Intel Core Duo), so I'am looking for a good howto.

I bought last week an official Mac OS X DVD 10.4.6, I generated an ISO by the program UltraIso from it.

Now I have the problem that VMWare is not possible to boot from virtual DVD/CD(daemontools 406) and also not directly from the ISO itself.

What have I to do to get this ISO image bootable and further the installation of Mac OS X successfully running? Do I've to patch the image somehow?

@JAS you're able to help me?

Mike

look here. its the tutorial place for everything

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=45

Thanks.

In the forum exist a lot of good hints of experts and ambitious hackers, there are a lot of rumours and useless informations too but I'm looking for a continuous howto/description.

I'll start with my Mac OS X DVD, make an iso image, generate a new vmware virtual client and so on ...

Please send me your details, I'll give my best to collect all the bytes & pieces to generate a continuous howto.

I bought last week an official Mac OS X DVD 10.4.6

A couple of things.

Apple has not yet sold any Intel OSX DVD's. The one you bought is for a PPC (PowerPC) Mac - the wrong processor architecture.

Even if you had an Apple Intel DVD (like a restore DVD from an Intel Mac), it will not boot on an Intel PC. A PC uses BIOS to initiate the boot. An Intel Mac uses EFI to initiate the boot.

Even if you managed to get the DVD booted and you ran the installer, the software would need to be patched to run on a PC instead of a Mac.

You need to find one of the patched OSX DVD's in order to run it on a PC.

A couple of things.

Apple has not yet sold any Intel OSX DVD's. The one you bought is for a PPC (PowerPC) Mac - the wrong processor architecture.

Even if you had an Apple Intel DVD (like a restore DVD from an Intel Mac), it will not boot on an Intel PC. A PC uses BIOS to initiate the boot. An Intel Mac uses EFI to initiate the boot.

Even if you managed to get the DVD booted and you ran the installer, the software would need to be patched to run on a PC instead of a Mac.

You need to find one of the patched OSX DVD's in order to run it on a PC.

When I take a look to the content of the DVD so I found there are system files for both processor architectures, otherwise could it not be possible to install Mac OS X on real Apple System with an Intel CPU or? Ok, I understand there are various challenges ;) beside get it bootable. I was guessing is it nessary to have an original Mac OS X boot DVD for patching it by different x86 specific kernel upgrades :D. The DVD is my starting point and I guess it must be possible when we've the original sorce codes of rosetta to get patches.

Where can I find patched boot-&run- able images?