gtx 1070 (Pascal) + HD 4600?

fermolino

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to buy the gtx 1070 but I know that the nvidia web drivers aren't released yet. 

So I'm asking you if there is a way to use the iGPU (HD 4600) in OSX and the 1070 in Windows. The HD 4600 actually works very well in OSX but if I try to boot OSX with my card GTX 970 and the HD 4600 sets as primary card, than Clover and OSX give me a black screen.

Is there any solution for this?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'll do my best to explain. I'm speaking from experience from the past few days. Also had a similar problem. Wanted the 1070, but knew it would not work with OSX. Bought the card anyway on July 2nd. It works, but it looks horrible with heavy artifacts just from using "spaces". Resolution is stuck as 1024x???. Horrible. 

So, onto the solution.

My monitor can take HDMI, DP, or mini DP. Hopefully, your monitor has some sort of dual inputs as well. I am currently using the HDMI out of the motherboard and the mini DP is coming out the GPU. You may have to change some settings in your BIOS to allow them to both run though. *I can post my bios changes once I'm home if you like. Something about multi-moniter and IGFX.* 

Problems I ran into were just trying out different bios settings and changing in and out the HDMI and DP connections.

Your black screen could be a result of that. Maybe there is a picture, but the wrong cable is plugged in and the wrong input selected on your monitor. Enough troubleshooting and unplugging and replugging should do it. Just wanted to let you know, you CAN buy the card and run it on a dual boot without having to remove it when you want to get into OSX. I should mention that I haven't found a way to turn the lights on the card off in OSX. 

Hope this helps man. I registered here just cause I was on the fence like you and was looking for guidance, but no one seemed to really know. If you need more help, just holler.

Ok, so I'll do my best to explain. I'm speaking from experience from the past few days. Also had a similar problem. Wanted the 1070, but knew it would not work with OSX. Bought the card anyway on July 2nd. It works, but it looks horrible with heavy artifacts just from using "spaces". Resolution is stuck as 1024x???. Horrible. 

So, onto the solution.

My monitor can take HDMI, DP, or mini DP. Hopefully, your monitor has some sort of dual inputs as well. I am currently using the HDMI out of the motherboard and the mini DP is coming out the GPU. You may have to change some settings in your BIOS to allow them to both run though. *I can post my bios changes once I'm home if you like. Something about multi-moniter and IGFX.* 

Problems I ran into were just trying out different bios settings and changing in and out the HDMI and DP connections.

Your black screen could be a result of that. Maybe there is a picture, but the wrong cable is plugged in and the wrong input selected on your monitor. Enough troubleshooting and unplugging and replugging should do it. Just wanted to let you know, you CAN buy the card and run it on a dual boot without having to remove it when you want to get into OSX. I should mention that I haven't found a way to turn the lights on the card off in OSX. 

Hope this helps man. I registered here just cause I was on the fence like you and was looking for guidance, but no one seemed to really know. If you need more help, just holler.

Thank you for the reply. I think, I will just buy a OOB GPU for OSX...

Makes sense if you don't want to wait/ gamble. Are you gaming or doing any graphic design on the mac side? I ask, cause if not the integrated intel 530 graphics are more than adequate, unless you were using AE+ Element 3D or something. You could make your Windows side fly!

• 4 weeks later...

SWOOP1R: did you get error "GeForceSensors (pci1): [Fatal] unsupported chipset, 0x13400a1" when booting OS X?

I have no issues booting Win 10 in dual boot.

I have an Asus Z170i mobo and I do have the iGPU Muli-Monitor option. I don't have the nvdia web drivers installed so I boot with nv_disable=1. 

• 4 weeks later...

SWOOP1R: did you get error "GeForceSensors (pci1): [Fatal] unsupported chipset, 0x13400a1" when booting OS X?

I have no issues booting Win 10 in dual boot.

I have an Asus Z170i mobo and I do have the iGPU Muli-Monitor option. I don't have the nvdia web drivers installed so I boot with nv_disable=1. 

What nvidia gpu do you have? I have i7 4700 (with HD 4600 graphics) and GTX 1070. Adding nv_disable=1 to boot flags doesn't seem to help.