DSDT for Dell Precision M4600

howoarang

56 posts in this topic

Hi Adam55,

It is pretty much the same as m6600. I think you can pretty much use most of the kexts on the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307740-need-help-install-yosemite-on-dell-precision-m6600/?p=2189333

However, please do lots of testing.

USB 3.0 is still not working on El Capitan; thus, I am using Yosemite(10.10.5); however, 10.11.4 looks interesting though.

In order for the battery status to work properly, you need to download the latest battery kext from Rehabman. It worked on me. If it doesn't work on you, you can just post your latest DSDT/SSDT and I can patch it for you.

your HDMI seems interesting, I am not sure which kext is needed to enable audio output in your HDMI. re: I dont have it on my laptop.

When your done, kindly post your DSDT/SSDT and extra kext here to help others.

Cheers!

kishine

Note: About the brightness keys, it actually took me a while to get that working. I found the DSDT patch here when Rehabman is demoing his ACPIDebug, which is actually cool. Although, I haven't tried the latest ACPIBacklight.kext, but in the older version there will come a time that after touching/updating your kernel cache, your screen will turn blank (screen) after reboot, and this due to the ACPIBacklight.kext. If this happens to you, just remove the kext from SLE folder and/or do an EC Reset. 

Hi kishine,

About the brightness I used latest Rehabman's ACPIBacklight and it all worked without any additional patches.

About the GPU I found out that my wake problem is related to Apple's changes in X3000.kext and all AMD 6000 series + have the same issue.

About the CPU Power Management I still can't get it working, if I delete the null one I can't get to the desktop. I don't know why. Maybe it's related to AMD's Power Management.

I'll try to test the kexts from the link and then I'll post the final DSDT and kexts.

About the battery I had ACPIBattery.kext in my Clover's kexts so it worked for me right after I used patched DSDT.

• Like 1

Hi kishine,

After running some tests I came with results:

* SD is not working (The VoodooSDHC is not working for me)

* I still have to use the NullCPUPowerManagement

* When I attach some USB disks they all show as internal

* The previous AppleHDA provided by you stopped working after updating to 10.11.3 so I replaced it with newer VoodooHDA, seems that it hasn't got the kernel panic on boot problem.

* There isn't any solution for sleep issues.

* WiFi is not working.

* I think HDMI audio is working (at least it is as option in Sound output)

* I haven't tested other functionalities but I think that nothing else have been improved.

Config and DSDT:

Clover.zip

Hi kishine,

After running some tests I came with results:

* The previous AppleHDA provided by you stopped working after updating to 10.11.3 so I replaced it with newer VoodooHDA, seems that it hasn't got the kernel panic on boot problem.

* WiFi is not working.

* I haven't tested other functionalities but I think that nothing else have been improved.

Config and DSDT:

Hi Adam55,

- Same here, I have no plan in using it at this moment. Check in the last link I gave, I think Ocelas had it working. At 10.11.3, maybe updated kext is needed.

- As you have said, it is an Apple kext issue.

- I am not using El Capitan. Last time I checked during the Christmas Break on 10.11.2, my usb2.0 is getting recognized properly.    

- Check Mirone's latest AppleHDA patch. I read it somewhere here. Just look for it.

* WiFi is not working.

- I had mine working before I replaced it with Broadcom. I lost my note on this, sorry you have to research this on your own for now. The earliest I can play/upgrade my laptop is on March Break. I am currently using it and can't play with it. 

- cool

- For me, Yosemite is running great. It is up to you if you want a bleeding edge machine.

Good luck

kishine

Hi Adam55,

- Same here, I have no plan in using it at this moment. Check in the last link I gave, I think Ocelas had it working. At 10.11.3, maybe updated kext is needed.

- As you have said, it is an Apple kext issue.

- I am not using El Capitan. Last time I checked during the Christmas Break on 10.11.2, my usb2.0 is getting recognized properly.    

- Check Mirone's latest AppleHDA patch. I read it somewhere here. Just look for it.

* WiFi is not working.

- I had mine working before I replaced it with Broadcom. I lost my note on this, sorry you have to research this on your own for now. The earliest I can play/upgrade my laptop is on March Break. I am currently using it and can't play with it. 

- cool

- For me, Yosemite is running great. It is up to you if you want a bleeding edge machine.

Good luck

kishine

Thanks kishine,

I checked the USB on 10.11.1, .2 and .3 and it is shown as internal on all versions.

I patched the AppleHDA using patch-hda.pl it works better than Voodoo.

I tried Ocelot's VoodooSDHC on 11.2 and 11.3 and it isn't working for me.

Update:

I found out that when I go into information about battery it displays weird values:

When I go to USB on every device flag Built-in is Yes:

post-1577959-0-61636200-1453479639_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-93932800-1453479651_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-36766000-1453479658_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-00985400-1453479666_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-44760100-1453479674_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-56380300-1453479684_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-91192600-1453479692_thumb.png

post-1577959-0-48714100-1453479700_thumb.png

Hi Adam55,

Good job in making your audio work better.

For the battery info: if you are  particular about the mAh, google "Yosemite on Dell M6600...a bit of help kapone". In the thread (not in the google result), check page 2 onward.

If you want to dive deep into the code, check ECG9 and ECG6 methods in your DSDT. Compare it to the DSDT methods (attached file) on the link below: 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307740-need-help-install-yosemite-on-dell-precision-m6600/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2201404

For the USB ... I really want to help you, but I am really hard pressed on something right now. However, I remember some laptops had this issue in Yosemite as well. Look into those thread to get some idea.

Nice progress

kishine,

Note: it is really great that you were able to fix your AppleHDA.kext. It would be great too if you upload your AppleHDA kext here - for future reference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Adam55,

Good job in making your audio work better.

For the battery info: if you are  particular about the mAh, google "Yosemite on Dell M6600...a bit of help kapone". In the thread (not in the google result), check page 2 onward.

If you want to dive deep into the code, check ECG9 and ECG6 methods in your DSDT. Compare it to the DSDT methods (attached file) on the link below: 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307740-need-help-install-yosemite-on-dell-precision-m6600/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2201404

For the USB ... I really want to help you, but I am really hard pressed on something right now. However, I remember some laptops had this issue in Yosemite as well. Look into those thread to get some idea.

Nice progress

kishine,

Note: it is really great that you were able to fix your AppleHDA.kext. It would be great too if you upload your AppleHDA kext here - for future reference.

Kishine, what patches did you use on the M6600 to get sleep working? I have an M4600 with Quadro 1000M which is very similar to the M6600.

• 1 month later...

I've been working on getting my m4600 up and running correctly for a bit now.  I'm pretty close I believe.  My list of what isn't working is much shorter so I'll do that.  My VGA isn't working for some odd reason.  I don't have an HDMI monitor to test with so I'm not sure about that one.  And it doesn't sleep when I close the lid.  Those are really the only two things I would absolutely like to get ironed out.  iMessages isn't working, but I'm not worried about that one.  I can happily provide anymore information needed.  Thank you in advance for any potential help.  

M4600

El Capitan 10.11.5

i7-2720QM

32 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro 1000M GPU

• 1 month later...

i got almost everything working on my m4600 running 10.12 beta. UEFI, sleep, reset/shut down, integrated graphics(doesnt turn off when restarting after applying rehabman windows patch), lid, brightness slider, bluetooth, camera, external display from display port all working correctly. i dont have a compatible wifi card so i used external ra link usb tht works perfectly. if anyone want my efi folder ill upload here. thnx all for helping me make my machine perfect!

i got almost everything working on my m4600 running 10.12 beta. UEFI, sleep, reset/shut down, integrated graphics(doesnt turn off when restarting after applying rehabman windows patch), lid, brightness slider, bluetooth, camera, external display from display port all working correctly. i dont have a compatible wifi card so i used external ra link usb tht works perfectly. if anyone want my efi folder ill upload here. thnx all for helping me make my machine perfect!

I have M4600 with Quadro GPU. I have installed Sierra but sleep and External monitor output don't work. You run IntelHD GPU? 

I have M4600 with Quadro GPU. I have installed Sierra but sleep and External monitor output don't work. You run IntelHD GPU? 

hi , yea im using iGPU with discrete enabled. if i disable discrete nvidia, external display doesnt works. for me external works with display port when i dont disable nvidia card.

Which SMBios You are using? 

MacBookPro8,3. anything above 9 wont work with intel gpu for me. also macbookpro8 is best for cpu management on m4600. using higher smbios wont enable mangement and cpu stays at max performance mode.

I was using 11,2 because only then quadro load desktop. (Your solution i better) What about TrackPad? multigest work on your hardware? Now I have Sierra PB installed and track pad work like mouse. In El Capitan I have two finger scrolling. (Sorry for my english)

I was using 11,2 because only then quadro load desktop. (Your solution i better) What about TrackPad? multigest work on your hardware? Now I have Sierra PB installed and track pad work like mouse. In El Capitan I have two finger scrolling. (Sorry for my english)

same here, trackpad working like moue using rehabman voodops2 kext. there is a alps kext available for our toucpad but its not working for me, u can try and see if tht works. search "A new VoodooPS2Controller compatible for ALPS on Sierra" in google.

Hello,

Question to the OP.

I have the exact same M4600 as you except I have the AMD graphics. Now my question to you is, could I still use your custom DSDT or should I use the web you linked?

Also what mult1b3@st settings did you use? I was able to install El Capitan with no MAJOR problems. I still have to use external monitor and mouse as I could not get the mousepad to work, are there any kexts we can both use?. Not trying to hi-jack, just trying to get some info from OP. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

No question about that tool here either... Same as the other place you posted.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279451-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/

Your system cannot support dual GPU so it's either or and I guess the internal LCD is controlled by the iGPU. As such, you can either remove all the AMD kexts from /S/L/E (keep a backup somewhere) so that you revert to integrated HD3000 when system boots up.

OK, I get the anti-tony stuff.

However, help me comprehend the part where you say it can't support dual GPU. The computer boots on main laptop screen and external up until the OSX loads, however even if I unplug the external the main screen still doesn't turn on, so it's running one and not two.