Can't get XFX 390x to work on 10.11 (or 10.10.4)

curlyninja

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get my XFX 390x to work on 10.11 or if that's not possible on 10.10 at least.

From other threads I saw, the 390x (which is pretty much a 290x) should work OOTB on 10.10, though that might have been broken by the 10.10.4 update.
Also it said they worked OOTB on 10.11 as well which seems to have much better AMD support.

However I could never get it to work at all. I'm using Clover, when I try a normal 10.10 boot it just hangs after the typical Bluethooth thing, 
if I try with -x safe boot it will get to the Desktop sometimes but also not consistently, and at low res and slow.

From what I've read the 390x should work out of the box with 10.11, but I tried booting the installer and get stuck the same way.
I also tried any combination of AMDInject and framebuffer settings I could find but never could make it work.

I've seen other people have success with Saphire 290x but everything I found about XFX (only other cards, couldn't find anything about the 390x) on hackintoshs seemed somewhat negative.

Any suggestions on how I could make it to work?
PC Specs:

Intel i7 4790k 
GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) 
16GB Ram XFX 
390X 8GB 
Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Edit: Also any suggestions on what SMBios settings I should use in clover? I tried various MacPro and iMac ones without success.