5960X and Titan X SLI

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a programmer and a mac user (macbookpro, imac, macmini) but recently I was looking for a fast machine, so I thought of the Mac Pro but I just can't help but think that its expensive and it might be upgraded (hugely) by the end of this year which is a waste if I buy now. So I thought maybe try a hackintosh. I've never done hackintosh before but it might just work. Anyways, here is my specs, I was hoping to dual boot windows and mac on it.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition 
Motherboard: MSI X99 Gaming 9 AC 
Memory: GSKILL 32GB 2400MHZ DDR4 RIPJAWS 4 F4-2400C15Q-32GRR 
Video Card #1: NVIDIA GTX TITAN X 12GB GDDR5 
Video Card #2: NVIDIA GTX TITAN X 12GB GDDR5
SSD: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 
Hard Disk 1: 1TB WD RED 
Hard Disk 2: 1TB WD RED

So, can I run Yosemite?

Thank you. Any guidance is appreciated.

I took a look over your specs and here's what I found:

• People have succeeded with getting i7-5960X to work on Yosemite.
  • Titan X works with the latest Yosemite Web drivers, according to some posts. SLI support is not built into Mac OS X NVIDIA drivers and most likely never will. I've run 2 GTX 770s in OS X without issues; they were simply identified as two separate cards. You won't need any injector kext of any sort.
  • Your Qualcomm E2205 LAN is supported here.
  • Your onboard sound card, ALC1150, is supported by VoodooHDA, and I personally suggest going this route versus patching an AppleHDA kext.
  • As for wireless, I didn't look and see if this is miniPCIe or USB, but if it's miniPCIe then it's replaceable if the card it comes with isn't an Atheros or Broadcom-supported chip through the Apple Airport kexts. You can get one that's supported for a cheap price on eBay. If it connects to the motherboard hardwired through USB like many ATX motherboards that come with wifi, then it's either supported by a third party kext which comes with its own ugly wireless connection utility, or it's just plain unsupported.

You have a long way to go in regards to getting the install media ready, but from what I can see, you have a decent setup that should work alright. I don't see anything else in the specs that raised any red flags. Go for it!