Playstation 3 Controller (Yosemite)

Haravikk

9 posts in this topic

So I've got Yosemite all setup and running happily, including Bluetooth (using a BCM94352 mini-PCIe card and using the BTFirmwareUploader.kext to enable Bluetooth) and I can verify this with my phone and a pair of Bluetooth headphones which work great.

I've been trying to connect a spare PS3 controller that I have using one of the many guides on the subject, but I just can't get it to work. The steps I've followed are:

• Open System Preferences -> Bluetooth
  • Connect PS3 controller via USB cable (red lights will flash slowly)
  • Wait for controller to appear in list of devices and become connected.
  • Disconnect USB cable and play.

However it just isn't showing up in the list of Bluetooth devices at all and I can't figure out why; it appears correctly in the USB section of System Information, it just won't appear for Bluetooth use.

Is there anything else I can try? Thing is I've definitely connected it successfully before when I tried it out of curiosity, but of course now that I actually want to use it to play something it won't do it ;)

It doesn't appear to be low on charge or anything (I can disconnect the cable and it'll keep flashing its lights with no disconnection). Oh, and it's the six axis version of the controller, in case that makes a difference; I'm not fussy about the extra features, I'd just like basic support for the joysticks and buttons.

The controllers do work, there are a load of guides about how to do it on OS X, as there's actually a driver for them (or at least support in another driver, I'm not 100% sure). Like I say, I got it to work in the past when I was checking out of curiosity, I just can't seem to get it to work now that I actually want to play a game with it :)

I believe the controller does use the standard Bluetooth protocol when in-use, it just doesn't connect in the normal way, which is what causes the problems and is why it needs to be connected via USB initially, afterwards it should work fine, but I can't seem to get that far.

I just bought a Mini and a PS3 controller. I can connect, but not pair the controller. There are a lot of people in Apple's forums with the same issue. 

Even when I'm asked for a pairing code, it acts like it's pairing, but never does. I think this is a significant issue, given the number of folks with the same problem... would LOVE to have not spent $45 on a controller for nothing. 

I don't think it's supposed to pair; once it says connected it should just be a case of disconnecting the USB cable and using it. On versions of OS X before Mavericks (iirc) it would ask to pair, but you could just enter any code you like such as 0000, it doesn't seem to actually matter (this is the non-standard part of the controller's behaviour).

Basically as long as it's connected via USB it should recognise the device through that and connect automatically, then when you enter a game that supports controllers you should just be able to play (or select it as an input device). Outside of such games the controller won't do anything, i.e - you can't move the mouse cursor with it, at least not without installing software to do so, which you can also use to remap the inputs (e.g - map left joystick to WASD) for anything that doesn't support it.

Like I say, I definitely got it to work before, it just seems to be refusing to be recognised this time. I'm going to try charging it some more, since I don't know what the charge level is (you can't see that till it appears in the list of bluetooth devices).

A consistent problem identified by others on Apple's support site is that it will "connect" in the Bluetooth menu, but not show up in the Preferences list of devices. Also, even when it says it's connected, users are reporting it not working in their games. FWIW, many are stating that the controller used to pair with their Macs previously. 

Some note the problem starting with new hardware. Most note it starting with Yosemite (which, such as in my case, would coincide with new hardware).

Hmm, it was Yosemite under which I was able to get it to work before, though since that time I had to replace my motherboard due to a fault.

It could be a problem with 10.10.2 perhaps? It would have been 10.10.1 under which I tried before, since the update came out while I was awaiting the replacement. It must be a driver-related related issue then, as I can't imagine why a change of motherboard would cause it, as I'm using the same Bluetooth card.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issues on my HTPC hack and my MBP. Shows up in the bluetooth menu, can 'connect' to it by pressing the PS button, but it doesn't actually connect (can't see it in controller mate) and will disconnect after a minute or so. When it is hooked up via USB it shows up in controller mate. I'm on 10.10.2

Any idea which kext the ps3 controller uses? Could try rolling it back to a pre Yosemite (or even just 10.10 or 10.10.1) version.

Looks like its IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext

I get these log messages when connecting to the controller:

Mar 17 22:34:33 TV.home.gateway blued[57]: Nonconformant HID device with vendorID 54c productID 268 does not specify HIDBootDevice
Mar 17 22:35:14 TV.home.gateway SystemUIServer[211]: Failed to connect to the device: 0x4
Mar 17 22:35:27 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothGamepadHIDDriver][getDevicePropertiesWL] Error retrieving device HID Descriptor.
Mar 17 22:35:27 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothGamepadHIDDriver][probe] Couldn't retrieve device properties
Mar 17 22:35:27 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHIDDriver][getDevicePropertiesWL] Error retrieving device HID Descriptor.
Mar 17 22:35:27 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHIDDriver][probe] Couldn't retrieve device properties
Mar 17 22:35:53 TV.home.gateway blued[57]: Nonconformant HID device with vendorID 54c productID 268 does not specify HIDBootDevice
Mar 17 22:35:53 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothGamepadHIDDriver][getDevicePropertiesWL] Error retrieving device HID Descriptor.
Mar 17 22:35:53 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothGamepadHIDDriver][probe] Couldn't retrieve device properties
Mar 17 22:35:53 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHIDDriver][getDevicePropertiesWL] Error retrieving device HID Descriptor.
Mar 17 22:35:53 TV kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHIDDriver][probe] Couldn't retrieve device properties