Windows 8.1 on an NTFS internal drive - cannot add applications to Applications folder.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Blxr

Blxr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

I use Windows 8.1 on Fusion, and I also have several virtual machines on a terabyte hard drive. VMware Fusion registers all of my virtual machines as shared virtual machines, so I am unable to add my VM applications to the Applications folder. VMware's KB leads me to this page however read/write is handled by a third party driver (Tuxera NTFS for Mac), and I am unable to change the permissions on the Mac's Get Info window.

Is there another way for VMs on NTFS drives to be able to have seamless application loading? I don't really want to have to copy and paste the VM on the Mac drive.

Long Cat

Long Cat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Copy VM's to Mac drive, get permissions as you want them, copy back to NTFS drive?

Does the NTFS drive have a Windows install on it? If it's just a data drive, you could copy files off, reformat as Mac or exFAT and then put the files back. Or better yet, shrink the NTFS partition make a new Mac partition just for the VM's.

If all else fails, try Parallels! IMO it's better than Fusion anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy