Enabling FULL graphics acceleration

27 posts in this topic

The dsdt didn't seem to work, nothing has changed unfortunately :-(  I had to create subdirectories ACPI/patched under /EFI since they didn't exist.  Same black screen after booting though, same place it stops at complaining about a BlueTooth controller.....

I'll think on this for a couple of days to see what direction I want to go:

Mavericks 10.9.2 (big pain in the butt):

Safe mode only / Clover required (and with USB stick boot required still)

No Audio (same kexts that worked with ML don't work here)

No graphics acceleration (can't play MKV 720p video files with VLC)

Mouse/trackpad is awful, buttons don't work either

External USB mouse required to navigate the machine

Machine won't sleep, have to power-down which sucks.

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (Niresh's distro is EASY install)

Works in 'normal' boot mode and Chameleon boots off the hdd

Audio works with VoodooHDA 2.8.4

Mouse/trackpad works good!!

No graphics acceleration (can't play MKV 720p video files with VLC)

Machine won't sleep, have to power-down which sucks.

Right now I'm leaning towards ML since I have a functioning core system with working audio.  Graphics acceleration is not required for Photoshop and Lightroom which are my primary tools/apps.  Having iTunes to listen to music while editing photos is a plus.

Well I gave up on Mavericks and tried Niresh's 10.8.5 - and after some tweaking - I'm fixed!!!  Every time I try a 'Niresh' distro I always have better luck!!  I've got full QE/CI and I am able to play videos with MPlayerX :-)

Steps:

1) Install Niresh 10.8.5 distro from DVD, boot options: xpcm-free GraphicsEnabler=Yes "Graphics Mode"="1600x900x32" -f

*Niresh already made a patched mach_kernel on the disc and called the file /xpcm-free, so the installer will launch this kernel instead of the original mach_kernel which would make your laptop reboot all the time :-)

2) Installer will launch and copy (about 30 mins)

3) Installer will reboot but WILL hang at the usual spots (not launching desktop like Mavericks)

4) Reboot and boot with flag -x for safe mode

5) Installer will finish all settings

6) Pull up a terminal:

sudo -s

cd /Extra

vi org.chameleon*

change string entry that contains 'npci=0x2000 dart=0' and add/edit to:

'npci=0x2000 dart=0 IntelAzulFB=12 "Graphics Mode"="1600x900x32"

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir /kext_backup

mv ATI* /kext_backup

mv AMD* /kext_backup

mv AppleIntelHDSN* /kext_backup

mv AppleIntelHDFramebufferCapri* /kext_backup

mv AppleIntelHD3000* /kext_backup

mv AppleIntelHD4000* /kext_backup

mv AppleIntelHDGraphics* /kext_backup

cd IntelHD5000Graphics.kext

cd Contents

vi Info.plist  (find strings on key IOPCIPrimaryMatch, delete all 0x....8086 entries EXCEPT the 0x4168086 leave it)

cd ../..

cd IntelHDFramebufferAzul.kext

cd Contents

vi Info.plist  (find strings on key IOPCIPrimaryMatch, delete all 0x....8086 entries EXCEPT the 0x4168086 leave it)

cd ../..

exit

exit

7) Install ALX_Ethernet_v1.02 kext via "Kext Wizard" application

Reboot your computer and look at the About This Mac / System Profiler and now you have a fully accelerated HD4600, as well as functioning ethernet port :-)

The only major hiccup I saw after the install is the VoodooHDA that was installed.  Even though it appears in this distro it was VoodooHDA 2.8.4, it doesn't act like the 2.8.4 I had running with 10.8.2 ML. After the install, the settings only have output as 'Digital Out: HDMI' which you do not have on this laptop.  It should have in options for output "Speakers" but it doesn't, just 'Digital Out: HDMI Audio'.....so:

1) Go fetch Voodoo 2.8.4.kext from Olirila's website.

2) sudo -s 

3) cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -R VoodooHDA*

exit

exit

4) Reboot

5) Pull up terminal once logged back in

6) Unzip the Voodoo2.8.4.kext.zip

7) cd to the directory where the Voodoo kext directory is:

8) cd Contents

9) vi Info.plist

Find IOPCIPrimaryClass key and change it to 'IOPCIPrimaryMatch'

Change all the garbage in the strings to your audio board 0x0C0C8086

Add in another entry series in personalitites for 0x8C208086.  

*Google this, there is a whole thread to this IO Kit Personalities, and I have my info.plist saved with all of the correct personalities edited.  I might just post it here later for anyone to use for this Lenovo :-)   Doing all of the editing to the original Voodoo installed after OSX installation did NOT work....removing the kext and re-installing your own does though....weird, but no surprise ;-)

10) Install the edited kext with 'Kext Wizard' application, reboot, and you're done with working sound :-)

Thanks for all of the guidance and suggestions guys!!!