Building a dual boot editing rig from scratch. Have a few questions.

mrdiginuts

4 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone -

As the title states I'm looking to build a dual boot workstation rig. I plan on running Adobe CS and Avid on Windows 7 and FCP and Resolve on OSX. Best case senario I'd like to be able to work with 4K material.

After doing some some research I'm almost decided on using the following hardware.

CPU: 4930K

System Board: P9X79-E WS

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

Storage: 2x SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB (one for each os)

4x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM in Raid

GPU: GTX 780 3GB

I guess my first question is how feasable is my goal given the hardware I've chosen above?

Another issue I am concerned with is CPU power and long term productivity. Having said that, I am thinking of perhaps going with the GA-Z87X-UD7-TH due to the possibility of upgrading to the Haswell-E chip when it arrives being a LGA 1150 CPU. I also like it's Thunderbolt availability, which as of yet I do not know if a hak rig would even support.

So I guess thats the main point of concern for me at this moment.  Which socket do I go with and If go with an LGA 1150 board which CPU do I get to hold me over until the Haswell-E arrives later this year.

Many thanks in advance for any guiadance or insight you can provide.