Tripp Light Netcommander Protocols for OSX?

MagesGuild

1 post in this topic

Hi All,

I joined here primarily as the experts in unorthodox drivers live on this forum. I have a strange question, regarding a product many of you may never find the need to use...

The Tripp Lite Netcommander are a series of KVM switches, with the more recent models supporting KVM over IP. While I can command the XServe systems and other systems (os agnostic) directly from a terminal in my cabinet, the 'over IP' functions of the device are limited to Windows, and...UNIX.

Yes, it has UNIX support, but no OSX support. My question here (aside from why Tripp Lite, who make other OSX products didn't include support for OSX in this series of devices), is how difficult it would be (in theory) to shift the *Nix support of the KVM/IP to work under OSX.

I certainly don't know if anyone else here even finds this worth considering, nor do i know if anyone here aside myself has one of these devices and a mixed server set-up. I can always use the device directly, as I only need to monitor a handful of machines, and can use VNC for pretty much everything remote, but the fact that no patch exists for OSX baffles me, and may be beneficial to others who could use it to deploy more OSX servers in their networks.

Ah, and if this belongs in a category other than networking, please forgive me and move it. I thought it a reasonable choice as the device is TCP/IP & Ethernet based, using these dongles to connect machines to it and using TCP/IP for video, KB and mouse input translation. 

Thanks & Cheers!