Help with ATI Mobility 5650

lionheart5569

2 posts in this topic

Hello there, I know this is a common problem between the ATI series, specially the 4xxx - 5xxx

I got Lion Retail installed with chameleon (latest version - 2.2) and myHack and everything is working so far, except for sleep, "about this mac" thing which crashes to login screen but those are minor details, the thing I want to get fixed the most is this issue with the 5650 graphic card.

The problem is that i have it now working as internal display -or- outside display (VGA). But I cannot, by any means, use it as extended desktop. It only mirrors the desktop to an external screen and not fully working at that, as it has to chose one of the screen resolutions and the other one will get all screwed up

My external VGA screen is 1280 x 1024 and my internal laptop screen is 1366x768. If I boot it without the external screen connected, it's fine now with a fix using ScreenResX.

At the moment i'm using the Eulemur framebuffer which is the only one that I tried that works fully and understands that both monitors are different, Hoolock is OK but it will figure both monitors as being just one (though the practical part is the same as Eulemur is now, it will only not show 2 different screens), Nomascus, Orangutan will not even boot and Vervet will mess up the resolutions and the laptop screen will only get lists and stripes all the way, getting unusable.. Though Vervet creates an extended desktop

The thing I don't get is that Eulemur shows a different configuration for both screens but it will only mirror and it will not accept different resolutions for each monitor...

I've tried the ATI5000 next, ATI controller stuff in kexts as well, I've tried to sort out the EDID's which i extracted with ScreenResX as well and tried to patch the numbers in those 2 EDID's with the ones in the display > override folders in system but it will just not do a thing...

I'm thinking maybe patching the DSDT with the graphicscard fix will do the trick... but i'm not sure how to do this...

Is there a way to use the ATI5650 mobility with extended desktop?

I'm running this setup in a Sony Vaio VCPEB2S1E

Memory (RAM): 3951 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz
CPU Speed: 2256.7 MHz
Sound Card: Speaker/HP (Realtek High Defini |
Display Adapters: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Screen Resolution: 1366 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller | Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
CD / DVD Drives: 3x (D: | G: | H: | ) D: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT30N | G: IHQRYJ C12VG16 | H: IHQRYJ C12VG16
Ports: COM Ports NOT Present. LPT Port NOT Present.
Mouse: 6 Button Wheel Mouse Present

USB Controllers: 2 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
Manufacturer *: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make *: VPCEB2S1E
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/23/09 | Sony - 20100720
Time Zone: Hora padrão de GMT
Battery Status: High
Motherboard *: Sony Corporation VAIO
IP Address: 192.168.1.67 |
MAC Address: 78-DD-08-E8-3D-D7
SM BIOS: R0300Y8

So thank you in advance for your time and guidance :)