[Tutorial] - Hackintosh IR Board (Apple Remote support)

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

BlackCH

BlackCH

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
Would you like your hack to respond to the Apple Remote? Not so hard to do. It would take you 10-20 minutes.

You'll need:

Attached File  ir_05.jpg   130.51KB   66 downloads

-iMac 24" Aluminium InfraRed Sensor Board (part #820-2151). Might work with other boards; Im not sure the pinout will be the same:

Attached File  ir_04.jpg   103.46KB   51 downloads

-The connector cable for the board. I used a cable I took from one of the temp sensor on the G5. It has the same tiny connector. If you dont have it you could try soldering the wires directly to the IR board:

Attached File  ir_03.jpg   94.37KB   45 downloads

-One 4/5 pin terminal plastic case and 4 terminals (to crimp at the end of the wires, for the motherboard's end). You could also trim the original G5 connector to fit on the atx USB header. I would just replace it for the sake of appearances.

Ok, first thing to do is for replace the connector (the big one, at the motherboard's end of the cable) is to take the original out (with the help of a needle). Once is out cut the all the wires by the terminal and peel them off (2 or 3 mm would do). Crimp the new terminals on each wire and with the help of a multimeter (to match the atx USB header pinout) insert each terminal on the casing.

Attached File  ir_02.jpg   167.74KB   62 downloads

the IR board pinout goes as follow:

Pin 1 - data-
Pin 2 - data+
Pin 3 - 5V
Pin 4 - GND

Pin 1 is the one marked with a 'v' on the circuit board (see the picture above)

And its finished:
Attached File  ir_01.jpg   137.51KB   70 downloads

I've put a little sticker to tag the 5v (+) and GND (-) signals as if you plug it sidewise you will burn the IR board.

Then put the board in a spot the IR can reach from your Apple Remote to the board's sensor. I guess the best place is near the front of the case, with the sensor facing out:
Attached File  ir_07.jpg   159.46KB   82 downloads

Plug it to the USB port (very carfully! re-check the wireing! Remember, if the 5v and GND signal are turned around you'll burn the IR board). If everithing is ok you should see it in the System Profiler:

Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_09_21_at_4.24.29_PM.png   58.83KB   98 downloads

Cheers!

Edited by BlackCH, 11 March 2013 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy