HP DC7800 Ultra Slim Desktop (Cheap and Cheerful system!)

FransNetwork

2 posts in this topic

Sharing my experience with OS X Lion on

HP Compaq DC7800 Ultra Slim Desktop

At this time 23/01/2013 the system cost about £80.00 pounds from eBay second hand, With added second hand memory £130.00 pounds. Also i have added an Low Profile ATi Radeon 5450 - 512MB card giving it 1080p (Google or Search this Forum of that Driver.) Total £160.00

zm8uGgv.jpg

System Info

Intel Core2Duo 2.66GHz

8GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz RAM (Upgraded from 1GB)

160GB 7200RPM SATA1 Hard Drive

Ok. Here we go...

1) Grab a copy of iAtKOS L2 and put it on a DVD 4.7G (Also purchese a copy of OS X Lion too!)

2) Once you get past the initial setup for your language choice and the menu bar is present, select to run Disk Utility under the Utilities menu if you need to setup the hard drive.

3) Once the hard drive has been prepared, click Continue to go to the next section. Click Agree to the terms of the software license agreement to continue and select the hard drive where you wish to install Lion on.

4) Click the Customize button and select the following options:

Under Drivers>Main Hardware>SATA/IDE: Select Non-AHCI SATA

Under Drivers>Main Hardware>Sound>VoodooHDA: Select v2.1 (Not the latest version!)

Under Drivers>Network>Wired: Select Intel Gigabit

Hardware Senors: > CPU

LEAVE ALL OTHER OPTIONS

5) Click OK, then click Install. Sit back and relax, Lion will be installed. Remove the DVD from the drive and reboot when it is finished.

6) When installed and rebooted, Go to the Apple logo at the top left, Hit Software Update, Leave everything ticked but not Java Update!!!!!, At this time the update is roughly 2.29GB

Enjoy

• 2 months later...

Hi FransNetwork.

Great post. Thanks.

I have been away from doing this for several years, and this is great place to start.

The HP DC7x00 series are a great.

They are cheap as businesses regularly rotate their lease stock, and very well made, with absolutely explicit documentation available online (including EVERY BIOS setting).

Is it possible you actually have a DC7800 SFF rather than the (very small) USDT?

The USDT cannot take a PCIE card, but the SFF can, its not a biggie, but there are some MB differences..

I have both, but my first foray will be to attempt this on a USDT model.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers. :)