2 replies to this topic

jaybez

jaybez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, hoping for a bit of advice.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro and want to upgrade the graphics card from the stock GT120. My budget is around the £100 mark.

Please can someone direct me towards some guides/tutorials in order to take a standard Windows compabtible graphics card and update it to work under OSX?

I'm currently on 10.7.x, I occasionally run Windows 7 32 bit under bootcamp so would be nice for it to be compatible with that as well.

I do have access to a native Windows 7 desktop PC.

Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: just be clear, i want to game under OSX (and occasionally Windows)

EDIT2: Well bugger me, things have moved on since I first got this machine. Seems Apple made a consumer freindly move!
http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1440150

Funkoyote

Funkoyote

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
You can run GeForce 6xx Series like this one Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 2xDVI-D/HDMI/D-SUB Graphics Card GV-N650OC-2GI If you upgrade to Mountain Lion.
Also you need this cable Mac Pro PCIe PCI Express 6 Pin Video Card Power Cable
Read this:
Smoke on the Water: GTX 660ti in a Mac Pro and DaVinci Resolve 9
Nvidia finally releases driver 304.00.00f20 for 10.8

jaybez

jaybez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info.
Think I'm going to go for an older GTX470, I appreciate the 650 runs cooler and draws less power but the 470 seems to have more grunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy